Topic Stats

• 4,243 posts
  • 349 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by thundergod76
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 283 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5550 (resized).jpg
IMG_5549 (resized).jpg
824c85533f4594edd0e9a8cf7dc1457e176efa06 (resized).jpg
2B46656A-5C43-421D-B4F9-A94FA43C8BC0 (resized).jpeg
D8C7712D-2039-40CE-AB62-3DD48D3D1988 (resized).jpeg
50661386_1077904665724439_1220436401930108928_n (resized).jpg
B5EE1ECE-9803-4A1C-A9F5-12612EEE7D76 (resized).png
F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png
Z8QWR8.gif

There are 4243 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 85.
#1901 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

After 3 years and every new Stern in that time I have a bit of data to tell when a game is a dud.
I can give you the example of TWD.
Started out great for a few month and then dropped hard (everyone plays the new game and the drop rate and amount is telling of the F U N factor) A game dropping hard is just not considered fun to play so they would rather play the game next to it or more likely the classics. Then TWD had lyman polish the code and the game slowly grew back in the favor of players. With the great code it now has, it is consistently played.

I started operating in February 2013, so we have a lot in common.

My experience with TWD also 100% matches yours at the beginning. I picked it up from Stern the first day/Wednesday of Expo in October 2014. It did great for a month or so, then fell off the face of the earth. I rotated it a few months later, where earnings were about the same at its new location. I then rotated it back to the original location at about the time the major code revision was released, and it earned great for maybe 6 months. It has been off location since early March, and I'm about to rotate it back to this original location for October/Halloween.

I bought ST and Metallica almost a year after release... about the time the "good" code came out for both, so I can't say how poorly or well they would have earned with the barebones code.

So, code seems to have mattered quite a bit on TWD, but not at all on KISS. Dunno.

-Mark

#1902 3 years ago
Quoted from marcos:

Always Pro. Well, with the exception of X-MEN... I wanted a kick-ass new machine to start off the business a few years ago, in addition to the older pins I already had.
Premiums/LE's cost too much, especially these days, and sometimes the extras on them can cause more headaches on location when they have issues. The Gene head on KISS Premium/LE is a good example of this.
It already takes long enough to "break even" on a Pro...why add $1500-$2500 more to it? Casual players will not pay more to play it, and very few have any clue there is another version of it.
-Mark

KISS is a special case because it's not a location dud like WWE, but you can have HUO, barely played premiums all day long for a few hundred more than a NIB pro.

#1903 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

interesting. Our lowest earning Stern of all the ones we have on route.

hes always out with the pompoms for stern. gary and he MUST be related.

#1904 3 years ago

Kiss has so much potential... great layout, theme, and it flows great. Too bad it can't get the attention code wise. Seems like another "here we go again" pin. But it will be great once the code is finished, whenever that will be.

#1905 3 years ago

I'm ready to trade mine. This is taking too long and the fun factor is starting to wear on me. Anyone have an ACDC to trade?

#1906 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I'm ready to trade mine. This is taking too long and the fun factor is starting to wear on me. Anyone have an ACDC to trade?

like trading a bar of silver for the same size bar of gold.

#1907 3 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Yeah, that's gonna be a tough trade. There seems to still be decent demand for AC/DC and that's keeping prices up on the good ones.

#1908 3 years ago

talk about a route turd. AC/DC went of the deep end so it got sold. Seemed that players got tired of the convoluted strategy of play.

I undertand that home players like it (where they can figure out the ruleset better) but on route it only did well for a couple months before it dropped big time.

#1909 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

talk about a route turd. AC/DC went of the deep end so it got sold. Seemed that players got tired of the convoluted strategy of play.
I undertand that home players like it (where they can figure out the ruleset better) but on route it only did well for a couple months before it dropped big time.

It's been in the top 10 of PlayMeter earning pins since it came out. This month it's #2, below Ghostbusters. KISS is #3, and Metallica is #4. Seems like your locations aren't big on music pins. How'd Metallica do for your customers?

#1910 3 years ago

I had an ACDC premium out for a little bit. It didn't earn that well so I pulled it fairly quickly to maintain its condition because the collector market is clearly where it is at!

#1911 3 years ago

Codes dropping soon...
Just heard

#1912 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Codes dropping soon...
Just heard

From who Wakky Tabbacky.

#1913 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

dropping soon...
Just heard

How soon? I hope your source is correct!

#1914 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Codes dropping soon...
Just heard

Quoted from Wakky:

You can only know that if your a Stern employee ... are you? If not dont just put down statements guessing.. anyone can say what you said ...

Good grief

#1915 3 years ago

Its true, I asked a local here in the STAN if the code was dropping soon and he said, I quote, "YES MISTER, YES MISTER. WE ARE FRIENDS."
BOOM! There ya have it folks.

#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

From who Wakky Tabbacky.

Are you as ugly as your avatar lol

#1917 3 years ago

You must be an aussie arcade user with those comments

#1918 3 years ago

kiss code dropping soon? maybe. will it be good? maybe.

hope it drops soon and i hope the new code is really good.

#1919 3 years ago

I'd like to see the code improved, but seeing Bowen's tutorial helped me understand some subtle aspects of the current code.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend.

#1920 3 years ago

I feel like a worthless player watching him play.

#1921 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Are you as ugly as your avatar lol

Unfortunately worse. ☹️️

#1922 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Unfortunately worse. ☹️️

Lol

#1923 3 years ago

I am so not worthy after watching him play!

#1924 3 years ago

I'm hoping there's a huge expo code drop to help Stern pump good will. I can't see it being any other way.

#1925 3 years ago

Lyman is balls deep with bm66, can't see a kiss update coming anytime soon......sure wish it was though.

#1926 3 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Lyman is balls deep with bm66, can't see a kiss update coming anytime soon......sure wish it was though.

How do you know that fact?

#1927 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

How do you know that fact?

Tell us what 'source' told you about a code drop soon first!

#1928 3 years ago

It's dangerous to feed the trolls....they are like Gremlins.

This hobby has too many secret handshakes, cliques, etc. Such a shame it's worse than insider trading on Wall St. Nothing about it is life changing. It's only pinball folks....people afraid they will be put on double secret probation and lose there source of info.....it's like high school all over again.

Leaked info is good and companies do it all the time. Silence is bad. Would rather Stern leak info directly rather than secret squirrels coming on here dropping hints/rumors and refusing to reveal sources.

Anyways...all credible reports indicate Kiss code will be updated....only question is when will it happen. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so let's keep bumping this....Stern may not post but they follow pinside.

#1929 3 years ago

Come on... Where's the code!

#1930 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Heard a rumour Kiss code is coming in next few days...

[above quote from over a month ago]

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Time for a new 'source'.

#1931 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Tell us what 'source' told you about a code drop soon first!

A source .....not tomato but a sauce

#1932 3 years ago

[above quote from over a month ago]
Knock knock.
Who's there?
Time for a new 'source'.

Your not the guy in Australia that went on and on about a Steve Irwin pinball and nothing was ever produced except a lot of hot air ?

#1933 3 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Your not the guy in Australia that went on and on about a Steve Irwin pinball and nothing was ever produced except a lot of hot air ?

Nope.

Anyway, you still confident that an update is coming a month ago?

#1934 3 years ago

Nope.
Anyway, you still confident that an update is coming a month ago?

That was about the time Stern posted it was coming on Facebook, but then they took that down, so maybe it didn't pass testing - or maybe they just wanted to wait and drop an expo bomb of a bunch of code updates and BM66 at once. Who knows?

#1935 3 years ago

Great question! Certainly nobody here!

#1936 3 years ago

If they want to really steal the thunder at expo, nothing would be better than the batman reveal plus several code updates.

#1937 3 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

This whole BI-yearly code drop for KISS blows, I am going to be totally bummed if there is not an expo drop.

#1938 3 years ago

If my KISS machine played anything like the one in that video I would love it. The ball goes in the scoop? The slings don't shoot it right down the drains? the Ace bumper doesn't shoot right down the right drain? The gene doesn't get clogged and have to search for the ball almost every time? maybe I should have bought a pro...

#1939 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

If my KISS machine played anything like the one in that video I would love it. The ball goes in the scoop? The slings don't shoot it right down the drains? the Ace bumper doesn't shoot right down the right drain? The gene doesn't get clogged and have to search for the ball almost every time? maybe I should have bought a pro...

Sounds like you just need to fine-tune yours. I have an LE and everything except the scoop works fine, but it took a lot of trial and error adjusting and balancing to get it just right. The scoop, though, is just designed poorly. It's too narrow and shots always bounce out.

#1940 3 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Mine plays exactly like the video. I've had zero issues. I can see how it could be really frustrating if that's how the game played. What is the pitch of your game set at? Have you checked to make sure the opto at genes mouth isn't unplugged? Mine came loose once and wouldn't register shots.

#1941 3 years ago

Just waiting if the code comes out i will get a NIB . But till then I'm hanging on the cash.

#1942 3 years ago
Quoted from davkonw:

Just waiting if the code comes out i will get a NIB . But till then I'm hanging on the cash.

Same thoughts

#1943 3 years ago

It's hard to figure Stern out at times. They go to all the trouble of designing, prototyping, sourcing parts, commissioning art and play testing a new game and then cripple it with half arsed code. Surely they realise that shit code hurts sales ?

#1944 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

It's hard to figure Stern out at times. They go to all the trouble of designing, prototyping, sourcing parts, commissioning art and play testing a new game and then cripple it with half arsed code. Surely they realise that shit code hurts sales ?

Well it has taken a long time for the market to change and Stern to admit that home buyers/collectors are now becoming the market share. There are some collectors that never play them and then you have others that play them and enjoy local league play with friends. When the home buyer market wakes up and quits buying games from Stern because of poor code, lack of updates or no fixes for bugs in the code only then do I see Stern addressing code as a priority. It has not stopped them from selling pins in the past. With each new title announced people keep lining up to buy.

We can't even get Stern to fix Metallica call out for coffin multiball.....you only have to lock 3 balls but the call out says "Smash 4 balls for multiball". It's sad they don't fix that. Stern tries to make you think they take pride in what they do......I have always believed if you can't do something right then don't do it at all. Good companies do everything they can to prevent defects in their products. Stern doesn't....and for the money we pay for TOYS we should demand and expect more as consumers.

Though there are new manufactures Stern still has the market share. Until someone else releases 3-5 titles a year with better quality/value and begins to gain market share only then do I see Stern addressing quality. Good things will come from competition among manufacturers.

#1945 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Well it has taken a long time for the market to change and Stern to admit that home buyers/collectors are now becoming the market share. There are some collectors that never play them and then you have others that play them and enjoy local league play with friends. When the home buyer market wakes up and quits buying games from Stern because of poor code, lack of updates or no fixes for bugs in the code only then do I see Stern addressing code as a priority. It has not stopped them from selling pins in the past. With each new title announced people keep lining up to buy.
We can't even get Stern to fix Metallica call out for coffin multiball.....you only have to lock 3 balls but the call out says "Smash 4 balls for multiball". It's sad they don't fix that. Stern tries to make you think they take pride in what they do......I have always believed if you can't do something right then don't do it at all. Good companies do everything they can to prevent defects in their products. Stern doesn't....and for the money we pay for TOYS we should demand and expect more as consumers.
Though there are new manufactures Stern still has the market share. Until someone else releases 3-5 titles a year with better quality/value and begins to gain market share only then do I see Stern addressing quality. Good things will come from competition among manufacturers.

Well said. That's why I only buy games that are established. I wouldn't want to be spending thousands on a game that is never going to have complete code.

#1946 3 years ago
Quoted from davkonw:

You'll save at LEAST 20% doing it now. It's a buyer's market on KISS, and Stern already said more code is coming. If the code gets fixed well, prices will go back up.

#1947 3 years ago

Stern is in this to make money and to do that they need to keep cranking out new games. If people keep buying the new games it makes it hard to convince them they will lose out by not supporting code on the older ones. I suspect right now stern is putting its coding resources towards BM66 and spike 2/LCD. That will probably take them some work to get right which means other things get stuck on the back burner.

#1948 3 years ago

very shameful if you ask me. I know of no other industry that gets away with not completing product, stiffing it's customers and in the
process screwing up a relationship with it's distributors. It's hard for a distributor to want to purchase $10k - $15k machines when others
are not completed. It's quite embarrasing.

#1949 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

With their release cadence and the kind of code people expect in new games (see woz and hobbit for gold standard), Stern are obviously very aware of how short staffed they are, and how in need of new experienced coders they are.

However, everything I've seen and heard suggests that while they are looking to hire, they're not aiming at senior, experienced or highly talented individuals ... they're looking to economise, like with everything else, and train up complete rookies on a low pay grade. All that means is that their more senior guys just have to do more hand holding and become less productive.

If JJP #3 is the kind of hit that it could be, they could really steal Stern's lunch money .... hopefully that will be enough of a kick up the arse to make them improve matters across the board. So many of their recent games, even ones that are good now, have been in a dire state at release, left for ages, and / or not finished. Metallica, maybe Mustang and arguably TWD are the only titles they've really finished in recent years.

#1950 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

If JJP #3 is the kind of hit that it could be, they could really steal Stern's lunch money .... hopefully that will be enough of a kick up the arse to make them improve matters across the board. So many of their recent games, even ones that are good now, have been in a dire state at release, left for ages, and / or not finished. Metallica, maybe Mustang and arguably TWD are the only titles they've really finished in recent years.

Very well said. If this next pinball is what I think it is, I believe we will all start making moves to Jersey Jack.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cary, IL
Machine - For Sale
New Bern, NC
$ 19.95
There are 4243 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 85.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside