F8B5B48A-63FD-4F5E-B43B-1BC78631F22F (resized).jpeg
kiss-light-up-tongue (resized).jpg
15438644293903927387248163812921.jpg
15438641815028122868220878799967 (resized).jpg
88f72395a34c581417854ede57ae2497c18acea8 (resized).jpg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
A623535D-CA21-43EC-9CD4-EBCD474321FA (resized).jpeg
giphy (resized).png

There are 4,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 85.
#1 8 years ago

We bought the machine right when it was released which is about 8 months ago now. The code was relatively good and complete enough upon release to enjoy the layout and most of the game features. We really haven't seen any code updates since. There was one minor update fixing a multiball and adding some animations very early on. There are features in this game that aren't being used at all! 8 months, come on! Let us know what's going on here.

#2 8 years ago

beat_dead_horse2_(resized).jpgbeat_dead_horse2_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

Do a search. This is how Stern always treats their customers. It's really a catch 22 though because if you wait to buy a game till the code is mature it might never get updated due to poor sales, yet if you buy it early and sales weren't that high then the code doesn't get updated. So either way you're taking a risk. I guess it's better to have a bunch of poorly coded pinball than no pinball at all...

PSA:NO actual facts were used in the making of this comment. Everything you see is pure anecdotal pinside horseshit.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

PSA:NO actual facts were used in the making of this comment. Everything you see is pure anecdotal pinside horseshit.

#5 8 years ago

I know this is a recurring theme on this forum...but WTF?

#6 8 years ago

Due to the fact that Stern never finishes or polishes codes on some games prevents me from buying NIB games anymore. They have lost over 50k in gross sales to me alone.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

I know this is a recurring theme on this forum...but WTF?

My best suggestion is if you're going to by NIB make sure and play the hell out of one as it stands and ask yourself if it's worth it as the game stands and assume no more updates will happen. It's a shame this happens, but it does happen so it's best to not set yourself up for disappointment. I researched for over a year on NIB sterns before I decided buy one.

#8 8 years ago

Time to start up the "Where's the Code" Movement Again

#9 8 years ago

This was on Stern's FB page last night...

update_(resized).jpgupdate_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#10 8 years ago

This thread needs a poll asking about if everyone thinks Stern abandoned this game, bad enough about the whole saucer eject dribble out, but damn camon stern.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

This thread needs a poll asking about if everyone thinks Stern abandoned this game, bad enough about the whole saucer eject dribble out, but damn camon stern.

well the ball hits the plastic above it. youd think the would redesign it and send everyone a kit. just bad all around. no code updates, no service kits/bulletins to deal with issues. pretty lame and if you complain you get downvoted.

#12 8 years ago

Agree ! Would be good to see more features and also interact the cities modes. The flashers on the slingshots do nothing when a ball hits and the outlanes also don't have any sounds when a ball passes through them. Would be great also to add in some more songs along the way as well .
Don't get me wrong I love this game but an update is so badly needed to make this a more enjoyable game...

#13 8 years ago

I am also disappointed we have no new code yet. I passed on spiderman ve this time as I am pissed they abandoned Kiss!

#14 8 years ago

"Wise pinball collectors keep their wallets closed and pants zipped".

Patience is key.
If a game is worthwhile, Stern produces additional runs and does code updates.
If not the title goes in the "vault".
You have to watch the industry market.

KISS is not getting another run.
Plenty of LEs still sitting with distributors in boxes collecting dust.

#15 8 years ago

How do you know kiss isn't getting another run?? They are still being made right now ....

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

How do you know kiss isn't getting another run?? They are still being made right now ....

Distributor sales have slowed down significantly after initial release. Primary stock remains stagnant. LE and Premium sales have stalled. Orders are trickling from other parts of the world. Annual fiscal year cost raises did not help matters. Seqsequent title sales continue to outpace this machine. Secondary market of machines indicates potential increases of private sales, but this is speculative until additional market data is recorded.

These points coupled with other industry indicators based on experience and professional discussions.

These are the realities of pinball production.
This is how production determinations are made.
We are nearing what is called the "odds and evens" point.

Unless Stern does something to significantly update the ruleset and game code along with game reliability, thereby increasing its popularity, this assesment is certain.

Many collectors would still prefer to own the original Bally game, as it is more collectible right now overall, but only time will tell if this holds true in the long run.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

well it hits the plastic above it. youd think the would redesign it and send everyone a kit. just bad all around. no code updates, no service kits/bulletins to deal with issues. pretty lame and if you complain you get downvoted.

New poll then. How many people SOLD their KISS because Stern abandoned it?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from fliperz:

New poll then. How many people SOLD their KISS because Stern abandoned it?

Ive just ordered a second one as we love the game...BUT cant wait for an update to bring this to full life
Have 1 at home and just ordered a second one for our bowling centre location

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

"
If a game is worthwhile, Stern ... does code updates.
If not the title goes in the "vault".

I don't think there is any evidence of this outside of wof, done in the days when stern was close to going out of business. Avengers is good evidence that they'll eventually get to it. All other games except kiss and wwe are in good shape with updates planned on all current games.

#20 8 years ago

AWOL.

mia.jpgmia.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Many collectors would still prefer to own the original Bally game, as it is more collectible right now overall, but only time will tell if this holds true in the long run.

I have always wanted to own a Bally KISS for my collection. When Stern KISS was released, I thought this would be a good substitute. Full KISS songs like AC/DC and Metallica and more fun than the original Bally. Currently, I haven't seen KISS as a must own game. The playfield is very static and the code isn't complete. I think the art looks so good, but the game just doesn't scream "buy me". In comparison, I finally played Game of Thrones Pro and loved it. Maybe a code update could sway me on this one....

#22 8 years ago

I'd love to get my hands on a Bally KISS but I refuse to pay the inflated prices people are asking. More than double of any other SS from that era!! Worn out playfields, beat up cabinets and barely any board upgrades. No thanks. As bad as the code is now it's still more enjoyable than the Bally imo.

#23 8 years ago

I will never buy another NIB Stern until Kiss is fixed and updated.

#24 8 years ago

We've had this game at the Sanctum for league play since it's release. I can see overall interest in this game dwindling week by week just because nothing has changed and gameplay has become stagnant for many players. In league it's demon, love gun, demon, love gun or vice versa, rinse and repeat. Will this ever change I don't know. It's really a bummer when there are glaring parts of the game not in use such as the city choices. The game has a fun shot layout and the way all the inserts are stacked there are a ton of options that you could implement with code. If they release another game without an update on this one it's out the door.

#25 8 years ago

I sold mine back in October and don't regret it. Looking back, it was a good decision to dump it in favor of GoT Pro.

Rob

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Distributor sales have slowed down significantly after initial release. Primary stock remains stagnant. LE and Premium sales have stalled. Orders are trickling from other parts of the world. Annual fiscal year cost raises did not help matters. Seqsequent title sales continue to outpace this machine. Secondary market of machines indicates potential increases of private sales, but this is speculative until additional market data is recorded.
These points coupled with other industry indicators based on experience and professional discussions.
These are the realities of pinball production.
This is how production determinations are made.
We are nearing what is called the "odds and evens" point.
Unless Stern does something to significantly update the ruleset and game code along with game reliability, thereby increasing its popularity, this assesment is certain.

Not disagreeing with your opinion, however the argument is cart before horse in a sense. I've talked to a few distributors who all have told me that they've told Stern they're not buying any additional KISS machines until they release a code update. The lack of code has hurt sales, and the distros are letting Stern know that. These same distros have all told me that new code is being worked on. Is it true? I have no idea; but Stern seems to chase the $$$ as any good business should. They have to know it's in their best interest to release a code update for this machine in the hopes that they sell more of them. The game really has HUGE potential to be a classic with a proper, and robust update. Should be something along the lines of trying to visit each city, and play all the songs for the crowd. Finish the tour in a sense. Just my .02.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

The game really has HUGE potential to be a classic with a proper, and robust update.

I agree. The game shoots wonderfully. Location players love it. It needs code to make it great. Stern will get there, it's just a matter of when.

#28 8 years ago

I know there is still some work to be done adding code to KISS, but I still find it to be a very fun game to play as it stands. I really like stacking the multiballs with a new song and trying to complete both. Great points to be had, shots are fun to double, and if you want a monster score, you have to be a sniper with every shot (left orbit, Star target area, and right ramp are tough but so satisfying when you nail them). I enjoy the KISS and ARMY hurry-ups (and trying to use the inlane combos), and I hope they add another layer of depth to them (collected x number of each hurryup gives you 2x, 3x, Colossal Bonus).

I'd love to see a 'multikill' type of feature that keeps paying you after you complete songs, as well as a mini wizard mode for completing every song.

#29 8 years ago

The update is coming........Patience......Remember MET.....

#30 8 years ago

Anyone who wishes to continue to make the statements that Stern has "abandoned" or put KISS into the "vault" is talking pure horseshit right out of their own arse! The pro's are still being produced, and a HUGE code update is in the works that should be released soon.

In my opinion, not soon enough! But hey, it's coming.

Hell, the last show STERN did had KISS, GoT, and SMVE all on display.

#31 8 years ago

Can't wait for the update. I agree, its demon, love gun, over and over right now. Luckily I have great access to an LE and I didn't have to spend a dime!

#32 8 years ago

Code for KISS will drop in the hours before or just after Ghostbusters is announced in February...

#33 8 years ago

XM code actually got worse before it got better.

#34 8 years ago

Stern can issue code whenever they feel like it.......but I have chosen to shy away from NIB and stick with nice used machines on the market when code is to my liking. Seems like they are missing out on several NIB purchases, but what do I know.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

XM code actually got worse before it got better.

I experienced the XM issues....all of them. I had heard a rumor there was some newer programmers on that so they were probably learning...Completely understood. Pinball coding can't be easy because of the "realtime" nature of it.

But when XM "got good".....it ROCKED! Software Dept. at Stern is definitely getting it together, despite what the H8rs are screaming....Most of those folks probably never wrote any code...

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Not disagreeing with your opinion, however the argument is cart before horse in a sense. I've talked to a few distributors who all have told me that they've told Stern they're not buying any additional KISS machines until they release a code update. The lack of code has hurt sales, and the distros are letting Stern know that. These same distros have all told me that new code is being worked on. Is it true? I have no idea; but Stern seems to chase the $$$ as any good business should. They have to know it's in their best interest to release a code update for this machine in the hopes that they sell more of them. The game really has HUGE potential to be a classic with a proper, and robust update. Should be something along the lines of trying to visit each city, and play all the songs for the crowd. Finish the tour in a sense. Just my .02.

Complete BS! Distributors order whatever their customers buy. That's how they stay in business, and make money. Give me one distributor I can call today, that will tell me "I won't order you a KISS until the code is updated". I love the completely made up s$/& that is posted here. Lonnie is working full time on an update now, he has been busy the last few months working on Avengers, now that is done, he's back on KISS. Take your BS somewhere else!

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from TheRave:

We've had this game at the Sanctum for league play since it's release. I can see overall interest in this game dwindling week by week just because nothing has changed and gameplay has become stagnant for many players. In league it's demon, love gun, demon, love gun or vice versa, rinse and repeat. Will this ever change I don't know. It's really a bummer when there are glaring parts of the game not in use such as the city choices. The game has a fun shot layout and the way all the inserts are stacked there are a ton of options that you could implement with code. If they release another game without an update on this one it's out the door.

Don't lie. We're dumping it as soon as ghostbusters comes out anywaysjust would of been nice to try the evolved code in the near year we would of owned it.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Stern can issue code whenever they feel like it.......but I have chosen to shy away from NIB and stick with nice used machines on the market when code is to my liking. Seems like they are missing out on several NIB purchases, but what do I know.

Yeah it is pretty bad. So much so that when I buy new again I think I'm going to try Heighway. I'm hoping they will be better at providing finished code in a timely manner. Maybe wishful thinking but in truth it was/is Stern's lack of timely code support that drove me to this point. I would most likely have stuck with buying pins from Stern if they had better code support.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

Complete BS! Distributors order whatever their customers buy. That's how they stay in business, and make money. Give me one distributor I can call today, that will tell me "I won't order you a KISS until the code is updated". I love the completely made up s$/& that is posted here. Lonnie is working full time on an update now, he has been busy the last few months working on Avengers, now that is done, he's back on KISS. Take your BS somewhere else!

<edited>. I don't have dementia, Alzheimer's or any other condition that would cause me to not remember a conversation I had personally. You work for Stern? Then you are in the majority of people who don't know anything in regards to a date this will be released. The thread is ALL speculation and discussion. I merely restated what distributors I've TALKED TO told me. I NEVER said that a distro wouldn't SELL you a KISS machine. However, those who have REMAINING INVENTORY have told Stern they aren't buying more INVENTORY to sit. Follow along?

#40 8 years ago

How about being able to play X-men after Dark Phoenix and Danger Zone?

Seems like a super easy fix to just reset the Villains and Heros

I really hope you're right

Quoted from markmon:

I don't think there is any evidence of this outside of wof, done in the days when stern was close to going out of business. Avengers is good evidence that they'll eventually get to it. All other games except kiss and wwe are in good shape with updates planned on all current games.

#41 8 years ago

Well, looks like lack of code is starting to affect location earnings. Two weeks in a row Kiss has been down from its average, and the coin has been going in Met and TWD.

Cmon Stern. I as an operator need updated code for Kiss. And hopefully in time for the Provincial finals on Feb 13th.

#42 8 years ago

Is the code that bad ? I played one at a friends house and liked it but scared to pull the trigger

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

How about being able to play X-men after Dark Phoenix and Danger Zone?
Seems like a super easy fix to just reset the Villains and Heros
I really hope you're right

Stick with xmen v1.50 and you're good and even have a cool wizard mb to finish it up.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Is the code that bad ? I played one at a friends house and liked it but scared to pull the trigger

It's not that its bad....
problems are: many features not in use, and way too long since last code update for a game of this calibre.

If Gene is aware of this, I think he would be concerned. Kiss is like an industry to itself, an item of this kind in their merchandising should be better.

#45 8 years ago

very very bad work stern, passed on got le, passed on spiderman ve, passing on ghostbuster le (dont care how good it is) i am in on heighway aliens le with full throttle playfield swap. gonna look at getting smaug se when they start shipping. i know you really dont care. but just my 2 cents. 8 mos is very long wait for code on a new release. status quo is not acceptable.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

It's not that its bad....
problems are: many features not in use, and way too long since last code update for a game of this calibre.
If Gene is aware of this, I think he would be concerned. Kiss is like an industry to itself, an item of this kind in their merchandising should be better.

Yea seems like the cities have no use ? Also completing all the songs ?

What else is not being used?

I will say they did a really nice job with the astetics. The leds have some nice cases and swipes etc... Better than what I see on GOT.

#47 8 years ago

Will the new Kiss code remove the gigantic Gene Simmons head toy? If so, I might buy the game.

Quoted from fliperz:

Seriously man? I'm sick of this whiny baby crap. Freaking Stern just updated Avengers, WWE, and Star Trek within the last 10 months! STOP posting this crap. And quit bashing Stern. Do you want to go back to the days when we had one manufacturer and the hobby was nearly dead? Sorry guys but I'm totally sick of threads and posts like this. Go get a better job and buy a few more games. Stop blaming Stern for your pinball dysfunction.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Will the new Kiss code remove the gigantic Gene Simmons head toy? If so, I might buy the game.

Seriously man? I'm sick of this whiny baby crap. Freaking Stern just updated Avengers, WWE, and Star Trek within the last 10 months! STOP posting this crap. And quit bashing Stern. Do you want to go back to the days when we had one manufacturer and the hobby was nearly dead? Sorry guys but I'm totally sick of threads and posts like this. Go get a better job and buy a few more games. Stop blaming Stern for your pinball dysfunction.

Sure it's whiny, but telling people to stop isn't going to change their behavior. I have plenty of games, and still wish Stern were more deterministic when it comes to updates. I played KISS heavily for a couple months and now it largely sits until the code is spiced up. Machine has good bones.

#49 8 years ago

Just a kind and simple reminder.
Code updates do not fix game mechanical design problems.
Temper your expectations.

#50 8 years ago

What are the mechanical flaws. Demon drain ? I played one they didn't have that problem

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
There are 4,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 85.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-kiss-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.