(Topic ID: 31781)

Where is the innovation? Long and rambling rant.

By Newsom

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Newsom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianR73.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 11 years ago

if there is no innovation, then software companies will see that, make innovation for pinball on a smartphone! or Xbox! You could do anything you want, not worry about space, etc. Right? That would be terrible for the pin industry!

I did a search on my iphone for pinball apps. New ones popping up left and right! YUCK!

#96 11 years ago

If the pin becomes something out of a XBOX game, I will never buy a nib again. I like the feel of "classic" pin. The only reason I did not buy an older game, is I'm not at the stage of knowledge to make major repairs.

If lack of innovation is becoming a problem, why do people buy older pins? People compare these new pins to classic older ones, isn't that like comparing apples to oranges?

I am fascinated by the debates on here. I'm more addicted to this forum then my X-Men..LOL
    You guys are great....I have learned so much from this forum. My 13 foot Lionel train table is collecting dust, I'm addicted to pin now. I wish that Stern, JJP would pay more attention to this forum, you could make them millionaires with all your ideas! And you wonder why the price goes up! haha

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

There's an old quote from Steve Wozniak that's still as true as the day he said it: "The human mind has not yet exhausted what can be done with 16K of RAM and never will."

probably would explain why apple products become obsolete after 3 months...lol

#120 11 years ago

Pardon my grammar, I am fighting a bad case of the FLU and at work at the same time!

So do people want their PIN to become a computer? Personally I think too much innovation will take away the "classic play" feeling. Computerize the inner workings, LCD screens, etc.( Well I love the WOZ LCD Screen, so I shouldn't talk!) UCK...If you ask me, they need to draw the line between PIN and computer. Heck, why not come up with a box with buttons on the side, that simulate the flipper buttons and hook it up to your Xbox? LOL If you ask me, I like the "classic" pin feeling. Take that away, sure you will have a "new generation" of fans, but at the same time, you will be playing a glorified XBox!

#123 11 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

lol, try again. Pinball machines have been 'computers' since the late 1970s.

You could also say that about a calculator! LOL...That is not what I meant, I meant becoming like an Xbox.

#124 11 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Yes.
    Unlike games in the past, the wow factor is missing from this and other current games. Poor "front end candy" if you will.
    I have spent dozens of hours recently at Flippers in Grandy, NC, working on pins. They have eight Stern LEs lined up right at the beginning of one of the pin rows. People who come in and look at game after game before deciding which game to play are not drawn to the Sterns any more than the B/W games. And people are more likely to camp on a B/W than a Stern.
    Maybe WOZ will WOO new players.
    This thread is the only instance in my life where it has been suggested that I play more pinball!

Why not come out and say you just dont like Stern anymore? LOL j/k

#213 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I wouldn't expect you to. If you want to help the hobby though, please let the business know that the games are in poor condition. Business owners want to know how they can make more money. Granted, some locations that cater to casual players never respond. But if you pick your spots, you can get repairs made. I once even called a restaurant owner over to show him exactly what was wrong with each game. He understood and a couple of weeks later, all the games were clean and working again.
    For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of 'killing' pinball. All I'm saying is that if you don't play on location regularly, you shouldn't expect much innovation. The home market isn't big enough to get back to the innovation levels we saw in the 90's.

Am is missing something? If a pin is "making money" why would the business let it go to hell? Are you sure its actually making money? If I had a business and my pin was making me money, I sure wouldn't let it fall apart! Maybe the reason its falling apart is because it is NOT making money?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianR73.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-innovation-long-and-rambling-rant?tu=BrianR73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.