(Topic ID: 31781)

Where is the innovation? Long and rambling rant.

By Newsom

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Newsom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 11 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

You played a tech demo prototype, not a finished machine.

Yeah, I'm sure it will blow me away now.
    The video didn't look like the game is much different or better to me.
    Sorry, but this thing just doesn't impress me, maybe someday it will.

#202 11 years ago

The P^3 is definitely innovative, but the problem with it is the same problem that appears to be with the P-ROC and the other modern technology: there aren't enough polished examples of the technology to show its full potential. The first glimpse we had of this tech was with the Bride of Pinbot project that was proposed years ago by some European group that seems to have stalled. I hope to see at some point in the future, ways to upgrade existing games with the P-ROC to dramatically expand their capabilities. Right now there's lots of light but no heat.

The P^3 has a lot of potential too, but someone has to crank out a really engaging game around it. And when/if they do, and it really is a hit, it's probably going to have half the community hating it - that would be a sign that they're breaking into new markets when the old-guard enthusiasts are like, "That's not real pinball."

#203 11 years ago

P3.....Zzzzzzzzzzzz

#204 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I know of a bunch of titles that have subway ramps where you hit a shot, the ball drops, goes through the subway, and then is ejected back onto the playfield with a VUK. I was thinking more like a tunnel that acts more like a ramp, where you hit the tunnel and the momentum of the ball carries it down below the playfield and then back up. I don't think I've ever seen that (although I'm not saying it hasn't been done).
    The only thing is that if you had a weak shot that didn't carry the ball through the tunnel there would need to be a way to get it back up onto the playfield. Like a VUK that only comes into play if you fail your tunnel shot.

This is doable if you think about it. Remember the Comet ramp on Cyclone? If the ball didn't make it all the way around, instead of coming all the way back down the ramp screaming towards the flippers, it fell into a hole that dropped the ball into the pop bumpers. It wouldn't be insanely difficult to do something very similar but vertically instead of horizontally; a hole or a gap at the bottom of the tunnel that normally the ball would skip right over and keep going, but if the ball didn't have enough momentum to make it out, it would fall back down into that hole/gap which would redirect the ball to a VUK.

#205 11 years ago

Just came across this post and I agree and feel what the OP is saying. That is why my first game is from what got me started back in my day TFTC and not a new Stern until something different is done.

#206 11 years ago

To the dude who keeps yelling, "go play on location!, your killing pinball otherwise!" what you are failing to understand is thats not an option for some of us. Id love to go play on location, as a matter of fact, i wasted a half a tank of gas driving around looking for somewhere to play. All i found i one beat up machine here and there. Im not going to dump my money into a game thats unplayable just for the sake of "supporting pinball", thats rediculous..

I might as well mail the operator $20 and save the wasted gas money and frustration of playing a machine that barely functions.

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Rule sets - honestly, the only people who care about rule sets are the people who also have a pin in their house. The average "Joe" playing games on location has got at most 6$, 1 hour, and a 3x5 paper card to try and figure out the rule set to get the highest score they can. What counts number one for a game on location is theme - period. Again 6$ and 1 hour and how are you going to get someone to walk over and put their money in. Its the theme thats going to do that. Quickly after to get them to feed in the 3$ left from the full 6$ is fun factor which I think is lighting, music, sound fx, and how fast their ball's drain. Games that end too fast will have the on location player walking away to spend the other 3$ on a drink.

There are still players out there on location.
    Players who enjoy going to the bar and dropping rolls of quarters.
    Players who are rules-savvy. Who appreciate good pinball and not just a theme.
    Who played tons of pinball in past years, but did not actually purchase their own 250 pound beast.
    They are out there by the thousands. And if there is working pin around them, they will play.

I was among their number for many years, but eventually did buy my own pins as there were very few locations to play pin where I lived.
    But not all players did as I did.

I would say that the number of people who understand pinball, but just want to be able to drop coin and play it, is much higher than the number of people who are actually willing to haul one of these monsters in their residence.

Probably orders of magnitude higher.

#208 11 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

The 80's and very early 90's was in IMHO the heyday of pinball for a reason, rulesets were reasonable enough that you didn't HAVE TO BUY ONE FOR YOUR HOME in order to learn or achieve it all, art packages were were attractive yet didn't require you to look up at a screen during play, and believe it or not the game came COMPLETE you didn't have to play three versions to appreciate the essense of the game........yeah things have changed.

My sentiments about rulesets exactly

#209 11 years ago

Playing on location, when you can find one, usually, means: overly loud horrible arcade with driving games, shooting games and dance dance fever blaring at incomprehensible volumes so you cannot hear anything from the pin. Dark playfield because of blown bulbs, often dirty playfield because of neglect. Broken toys. Uneven playfields common. For something that weighs 280 lbs. a pinball machine can feel like a cheap pos if not belanced properly. Wiggly legs suck! Weak flippers, except when, as happens way too much, one or more is broken. Regardless, key shots cannot be made at all. Frequent issues with scoops, where ball get stuck and requires a ball search. Etc.

No thank you. Properly maintained Pinballs on location where the atmosphere is conducive to enjoying all the bells and whistles of these modern games is rare. I go when I can, and spend accordingly. Otherwise, I want them in my basement, where I can immerse myself in the game and enjoy all that these wonderful machines are meant to be. My goal is to own 4 or 5 as long as I can afford too.

#211 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

To the dude who keeps yelling, "go play on location!, your killing pinball otherwise!" what you are failing to understand is thats not an option for some of us. Id love to go play on location, as a matter of fact, i wasted a half a tank of gas driving around looking for somewhere to play. All i found i one beat up machine here and there. Im not going to dump my money into a game thats unplayable just for the sake of "supporting pinball", thats rediculous..

I wouldn't expect you to. If you want to help the hobby though, please let the business know that the games are in poor condition. Business owners want to know how they can make more money. Granted, some locations that cater to casual players never respond. But if you pick your spots, you can get repairs made. I once even called a restaurant owner over to show him exactly what was wrong with each game. He understood and a couple of weeks later, all the games were clean and working again.

For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of 'killing' pinball. All I'm saying is that if you don't play on location regularly, you shouldn't expect much innovation. The home market isn't big enough to get back to the innovation levels we saw in the 90's.

#212 11 years ago

In my case, I became a collector because games on location had disappeared, not the other way around. Becoming a collector and discussing to forum members actually helped me to locate the locations that survived. The Pin map is really helpful and I try to update it whenever I can.

I am fortunate since I moved to Bordeaux to find an arcade with 3 pins in mint condition (currently ACDC, AFM and TAF). During summer, the beach resorts reopen with 8+ pins, mostly recent Sterns. So I do not really feel an urge to buy these ones as I can find them nearby. But none have my holy Grail(s): Banzai Run, Black Hole, Target Alpha...

I tend to agree that playing on location is great. "It's more fun to compete". On the other hand, having games at home helps spreading the virus! Organizing tourneys is fun as well.

#213 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I wouldn't expect you to. If you want to help the hobby though, please let the business know that the games are in poor condition. Business owners want to know how they can make more money. Granted, some locations that cater to casual players never respond. But if you pick your spots, you can get repairs made. I once even called a restaurant owner over to show him exactly what was wrong with each game. He understood and a couple of weeks later, all the games were clean and working again.
    For the record, I'm not accusing anyone of 'killing' pinball. All I'm saying is that if you don't play on location regularly, you shouldn't expect much innovation. The home market isn't big enough to get back to the innovation levels we saw in the 90's.

Am is missing something? If a pin is "making money" why would the business let it go to hell? Are you sure its actually making money? If I had a business and my pin was making me money, I sure wouldn't let it fall apart! Maybe the reason its falling apart is because it is NOT making money?

#214 11 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

In my case, I became a collector because games on location had disappeared, not the other way around..

Pretty much the same here. I have a better pinball arcade in my basement than any I know of in the city.

#215 11 years ago
    Quoted from BrianR73:

Am is missing something? If a pin is "making money" why would the business let it go to hell? Are you sure its actually making money? If I had a business and my pin was making me money, I sure wouldn't let it fall apart! Maybe the reason its falling apart is because it is NOT making money?

id Say most Operators dont really care to maintain an pin, and then they blame the machine for their bad income? when it desperate needs to be fixed?

maybe it is also because of the fact the Ops maintenaince crew doesnt give shit about pins too..

so i say pinball is not failing from an customer point of view,. but from the ops point of view! and if they then decides to stop operating pins,. who is taking over?? no one.. and they will be gone everywhere, which unfortunally allready happened

im thinking to start to be an operator myself,. but it needs some serious money,. and that is holding me from it.. that sucks. and given the bad economics, no one (banks/investors) is willing to give u the necessary credits to start the business up. for the love of the game, and pinball believer

#216 11 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

In my case, I became a collector because games on location had disappeared, not the other way around. Becoming a collector and discussing to forum members actually helped me to locate the locations that survived.

Same thing with me.

If games still earned on location, they wouldn't be for sale all over the place like they are. And where I'm at they have video poker in the bars, that make $500/month per machine, and the laws on the books don't favor low-income pinball games so it's not viable to operate them commercially, so almost all of them are gone.

#217 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Same thing with me.
    If games still earned on location, they wouldn't be for sale all over the place like they are. And where I'm at they have video poker in the bars, that make $500/month per machine, and the laws on the books don't favor low-income pinball games so it's not viable to operate them commercially, so almost all of them are gone.

Or maybe they are for sale all over the place because they sell for 2-3x what they used to sell for a decade ago. And people can make some decent money flipping individual games.

I agree, pins for the most part do not do well on location.
    But that can change for the better. It did in the past. Games like Space Shuttle, HS, TAF, made pins popular again. It can happen again.

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-innovation-long-and-rambling-rant/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.