Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

seinfeld1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtppc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 10 years ago
    This is a great game with nice original characters, callouts, ruleset and music. I've played it many times on future pinball and if the physics on FP were as good as VP, I'm sure it would be one of my favorite tables.

This completely original game was done by one guy. It doesn't cost millions of dollars. What it takes is finding the person with creative talent. That's really hard to do in an era of nepotism and corporate CYA.

From the website:

Brendan Bailey buys, fixes, sells, appreciates, and designs pinball machines.
    His love of the art, music, and design of arcade games knows no bounds. He was exposed to Williams pinball machines of the late 80's and early 90's at age 3 and has forever been a big a fan of creativity featured throughout those games.

The desire to create original pinball machines is what fueled Brendan's exploration into creativity. From (slowly) learning Photoshop to composing electronic music, Brendan owes all of the inspiration for his abilities to the work of the designers, artists, programmers, and musicians of late 80's Williams pinball. Brendan went on to study graphic and new media design at Hofstra University, a career path he never would have discovered had it not been for pinball.

Junkyard Cats is 100% original - Brendan created everything you see, hear, and experience during the game - even the voices! He cannot thank Christopher Leathely enough for creating the Future Pinball platform with such incredible passion and attention to detail.

Brendan lives on Long Island and works as the creative director for Generations Beyond, a digital design agency in Ronkonkoma, NY... and yes, they have pinball machines in the office!

Contact Brendan
    Visit BrendanBailey.net

#56 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

stop...
    think...
    then re-read your post... you realize what the bill of materials costs alone would be? not to mention actually implementing it?
    you want video games, play video games...

This is the typical response of those who would hold progress back. I don't think Scorch was asking for a video game. His ideas are fantastically innovative and to poo poo them suggests you should stick with EMs.

Stop...
    Think...
    Freeze in perpetuity.........

Innovators have learned to disregard this style of thinking.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

lets just pick one item from his list...
    "replace wood playfield with capacitive touchscreen"... wanna take a guess at the cost that would add to the bill of materials? and that leaves aside the fact that you've introduced another failure point, one that would create a large maintenance cost down the line...
    "innovation" is not the same thing as "dreaming out loud"... "innovation" is grounded in reality... his ideas, while cool (personally, i think a capacitive touchscreen pf would be way cool, even while i realize the obvious drawbacks of it, and recognize why it isn't feasible) are simply "ideas said out loud", they aren't "innovations"...
    "running a business" requires "stopping and thinking" about ramifications... businessmen (if they want to stay in business) would be wise not to avoid that type of thinking...
    again... i have nothing against original themes or innovation... but that little thing called "reality" needs to be considered... "ideas" without considering "implementation" are simply dreams... i can throw a million dreams up against the wall... but in order to run a "business", reality needs to be considered...
    if introducing reality into the the discussion is considered "poo-poo'ing", so be it...
    if people are so sure it is "that easy", and ramifications don't need to be considered, they could incorporate and start their own company...

Well, I can see where 7" screens could be embedded like inserts and an overlay is used to make it look non-rectangular in key places. Obviously you cannot have pop bumpers and slingshots poking through an LCD. But none-the-less, who would have dreamt the ubiquity of microwave ovens during the early days of the space program. You need to have big ideas to end up with little improvements and the current cost of a technical innovation should never be used to eliminate any opportunity for further development.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

... i have nothing against original themes or innovation... but that little thing called "reality" needs to be considered... "ideas" without considering "implementation" are simply dreams... i can throw a million dreams up against the wall... but in order to run a "business", reality needs to be considered...
    if introducing reality into the the discussion is considered "poo-poo'ing", so be it...
    if people are so sure it is "that easy", and ramifications don't need to be considered, they could incorporate and start their own company...

I question how realistic your assessment of reality is. Certainly you cannot make a bunch of assumptions based on a few ideas thrown in the air. My point is simply that your denigration of innovative ideas is not at all helpful to the innovators or the consumers of said innovation. Those who will take the risks and do the innovating are much better equipped to determine the feasibility of the innovations than a casual observer who has only scratched the surface of the idea.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from GaryMartin:

If you want to talk about creative use of LCD, go look at some of the latest slot machines out there. Not only do they use the hell out of traditional LCD screens, they have a newer tech that looks like an LCD suspended inside the glass that protects the display. You could start putting those kind of "screens" directly on the playfield with a polycarb cover to protect from the ball.

You're talking about transparent LCDs. They stack a couple on top of each other and can really get some cool 3d effects. Yes there is some big opportunity for innovation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mtppc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-creativity?tu=mtppc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.