(Topic ID: 114256)

Where is the best place to find 1930s era flipperless parts?

By msj2222

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 3.18.08 PM (resized).png
    shyvers3407cannonfire1.jpg
    7827586_1_l.jpg
    20150130_211730.jpg
    20150130_230044.jpg
    FlipperlessStuff.jpg
    20150119_214910.jpg
    20150119_221951.jpg
    IMG-20150119-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20150119-WA0012.jpeg
    Oldpinsockets.jpg
    EarlyPinPartsA.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg
    IMAG0661.jpg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I am looking for parts for a 1933 Exhibit Star Lite I picked up and was wondering where I can look?

#2 4 years ago

In a landfill? Seriously though, other than Pinside and RGP, it's going to be hard.

#3 4 years ago

You can always try with Steve Young at Pinball Resource, but pre-war pins are very difficult to source parts for!

#4 4 years ago

Find a parts machine. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 to make 1 good one.

#5 4 years ago

Is there something specific you need? That may help.

#6 4 years ago

There's not really a retail parts source for the 1930's games; have to scrounge from other games, collectors, and more often than not, fabricating your own. A lot of the stuff can be hand-built as needed. There are some repro parts available for the Rockolas though (e.g., Jigsaw, World's Series, Army/Navy).

Makes them a bit more of a collecting challenging, but they also didn't have a lot in them either.

#7 4 years ago

I need the knob for the rear door panel, and a copy of the instruction card. I'm sure there will be more, that's why I was looking for a source. Any help is greatly appreciated

#8 4 years ago

Have you asked around in the yahoo pre war group. That might be a good lead too.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/prewarpinball/info

--Jeff

#9 4 years ago

You could try Johns Jukes in Vancouver BC Canada, he has been around the pinball world for years and deals in old pins.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Have you asked around in the yahoo pre war group. That might be a good lead too.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/prewarpinball/info
    --Jeff

Quoted from silverball0:

You could try Johns Jukes in Vancouver BC Canada, he has been around the pinball world for years and deals in old pins.

Thanks guys, I will pursue both of those leads. The pin is in great shape and doesn't seem to need much, I just would like to make and keep it complete.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Thanks guys, I will pursue both of those leads. Does John Jukes have a sight or anyway to contact? The pin is in great shape and doesn't seem to need much, I just would like to make and keep it complete.

http://www.flippers.com/

#12 4 years ago

Thanks...no luck there. I am emailing the Yahoo group to see if anyone there can help.

2 weeks later
    #13 4 years ago

Still looking for a source for antique pinball parts. I also need a type 40 lamp base added to the list. Basically a 44 but it has a threaded base. I would appreciate any help as I am hitting dead ends on the other leads. Thanks

#14 4 years ago

I probably have some of those lamp bases. There may be a modern equivalent available somewhere as well.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I probably have some of those lamp bases. There may be a modern equivalent available somewhere as well.

Yes, right now I am using a 44 base but am really trying to keep it original. Let me know if you come across 1 and just let me know how much with shipping. I can PayPal you. Thanks

#16 4 years ago

Sure, I will see what I have tonight.

#17 4 years ago

Here are a couple pics of the bulb base I am searching for...
    IMAG0661.jpg
    IMAG0662.jpg

#18 4 years ago

Ok, that helps a lot. I'm fairly positive I have some of the screw in sockets. That type of bracket/base I may or may not have.

#19 4 years ago

get em brand new here
    www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/forsale/lightbulbs.htm

--Jeff

#20 4 years ago

Looking for the socket, not the bulbs...Thanks anyway

#21 4 years ago

Sorry, man I didn't have any screw-in type sockets that size.

#22 4 years ago

Great thread!
    I have been slowly collecting some pre-flipper and early flipper games over the last few months and am coming accross similar challenges.

I have a pair of early 30's bagattelle style games and one of them (Ballyhoo) is missing things like instruction/price cards and the rear moulding/door enclosure. Guess I'll have to fashion a new one of those.

This weekend I scored a rare 1937 Bally Booster. It's a grat baseball themed bumper game that has a special feature. When the ball falls into a metal cup at home plate, a kicker fires the ball up to hit the 'home run' spring and extend play. Guess what part is missing? I also need to source a couple of those curly springs they have on the playfield to bounce the ball around.

Lastly (and not flipperless) my 1947 Humpty Dumpty project looks like it's missing both of its bell mechanisms and the timer/kill switch feature. Not critical, but I still have to source these parts.

It should be interesting trying to hunt all this stuff down.

#23 4 years ago

similar ones are on miniscience.com, but w/o the bracket you'd need to adapt that somehow. I needed the screw bases for a game I'm working on. I think they were E10 sockets.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Great thread!
    I also need to source a couple of those curly springs they have on the playfield to bounce the ball around.

Not sure if they are the same but I have a few of those early rebound springs. Also in this pic are a Genco ball lift, NOS? Gottlieb early leg bolts, washers and nuts (only 7) and a cone type plunger spring.
    EarlyPinPartsA.jpg

Quoted from calvin12:

similar ones are on miniscience.com, but w/o the bracket you'd need to adapt that somehow. I needed the screw bases for a game I'm working on. I think they were E10 sockets.

Not really sure what size E10 is? Here is my box of used sockets. Not all are older but there are a few screw in type. Larger than a #44 socket.

Oldpinsockets.jpg

#25 4 years ago

E10 is a 10mm socket. Just google e10 lamp socket all sorts will show up. Scroll around and you'll find them.

#26 4 years ago

E10 is here sounds like 10 is for 10mm

ebay.com link » 10 Pcs Screw Bulb Socket For Bulbs With 10mm Screw Base E10 Base

Best of luck hope these are it. This guy looks to have a lot of this style bulbs bases and complete sockets. FYI

#27 4 years ago

Wow...good info gentlemen thanks so much. I am on the hunt. If people would post pics or good description of parts they need I will keep a lookout on my travels.

I didn't know we used the metric system back then!

Quoted from Shoot_Again:E10 is here sounds like 10 is for 10mm
    ebay.com link » 10 Pcs Screw Bulb Socket For Bulbs With 10mm Screw Base E10 Base
    Best of luck hope these are it. This guy looks to have a lot of this style bulbs bases and complete sockets. FYI

#28 4 years ago

for my game I couldn't find the right bases. but mine are mounted in the passive bumper just by the tabs, I found ones with tabs to long and too short. The too long ones can be cut and hole punched.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Not sure if they are the same but I have a few of those early rebound springs.

Thank you Alex but the springs I need are a bit different and probably only found on very early pre-flipper games. Might even be only early Bally games like Bumper and my Booster?

Here's a picture of the "curly" spring steel piece I mean.
    I'd need two such assemblies with the double posts.

IMG-20150119-WA0012.jpeg

Coincidentally, here's a few shots of Booster all set up.

IMG-20150119-WA0008.jpeg

20150119_221951.jpg

20150119_214910.jpg

#30 4 years ago

Sure, I see what you are talking about. I may have some of the stand offs for the springs but don't think I actually have the springs themselves.

That is a great looking machine.

#31 4 years ago

A lot of the 30's games require replacement parts to be fabricated by hand, or some creative substitutions.

Some spring steel strips might be usable to fashion those particular springs (for example). (I suspect those were made from spring steel in the first place.)

#32 4 years ago

Those springs are rebound springs found in all Bally bingos.

1 week later
    #33 4 years ago

Hey, after looking further I did have some of the Bally type rebound springs and a few small screw-in type sockets. The socket bracket could be an issue though, as these are set up differently.

FlipperlessStuff.jpg
    #34 4 years ago

Yep, the Bally Bingos have that spring. I have a whole bingo I have not even been able to give away. Here is the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-bally-barrel-o%E2%80%99-fun-%E2%80%9861-in-central-pa

It is still available if anyone wants it. Sorry, no I will not pull parts off. You need to take the whole thing (or offer me an unreasonably large amount of money for just some parts). I really want the whole thing gone to a home that will make good use of it.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Hey, after looking further I did have some of the Bally type rebound springs and a few small screw-in type sockets. The socket bracket could be an issue though, as these are set up differently.

FlipperlessStuff.jpg 164 KB

Hey Alex,
    How far apart are the posts on that large one? I'm stil looking for one thats around 2.5"-3"

Here's a before and after on the Bally Booster hack I repaired with parts I have already sourced from some kind folks here.

Now I just need to find some info on my missing slot kicker

20150130_211730.jpg

20150130_230044.jpg

#36 4 years ago

I'll measure for you tonight. I wish I could see a pic of your missing kicker parts. I have a bunch of early odds and ends. It's hard for me to know what a lot of it is without some kind of reference point.

That sure is a neat looking game.

#37 4 years ago

Hi Drano,
    I measured this morning. 4 3/8" from pin to pin. Of course this is in the relaxed position and could be manipulated some either way.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Hi Drano,
    I measured this morning. 4 3/8" from pin to pin. Of course this is in the relaxed position and could be manipulated some either way.

Hmmm. Seems a bit big.

Are any of those other ones closer to 2.5" to 3" at rest? If that large one is over 4", one of the others may be just right. I just need one for that top bumper. You can see the one that's there was broken, repaired and is now quite stretched out.

As for the kicker. All I can do is snap some pics of the empty area and the screw holes that were left... but I imagine that the mechanism is not very different from what may have been used in games like FLEET, CANON FIRE and many others of that era with a kicking mechanism. The trick is finding a picture or schematic of those kickers!

7827586_1_l.jpg

shyvers3407cannonfire1.jpg

#39 4 years ago

Sure, if I had to guess the others are probably close to the size you need. I'll measure and get back.

#40 4 years ago

I measured the others. At rest (2) at 2.5", 1 at 2.375" and 1 at 2".

#41 4 years ago

Anyone know who sells/makes the parts to convert them from battery power?

#42 4 years ago

You need a transformer and a bridge rectifier - you want to match the voltage to that provided by the battery, then wire between the transformer to the bridge, then patch to the game.

It's not as daunting as it sounds.

If you're running on AC, I would also suggest adding in some fuses, depending on how your game operates/what parts it has. Coils should probably be fused, especially as it is difficult to find them in the correct size. It all depends on what your game does.

Mouser electronics should have what you need, but knowing the battery voltage and searching for a 'x' Volt transformer will get you where you need to be.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Hmmm. Seems a bit big.
    Are any of those other ones closer to 2.5" to 3" at rest? If that large one is over 4", one of the others may be just right. I just need one for that top bumper. You can see the one that's there was broken, repaired and is now quite stretched out.
    As for the kicker. All I can do is snap some pics of the empty area and the screw holes that were left... but I imagine that the mechanism is not very different from what may have been used in games like FLEET, CANON FIRE and many others of that era with a kicking mechanism. The trick is finding a picture or schematic of those kickers!

7827586_1_l.jpg 83 KB

shyvers3407cannonfire1.jpg 109 KB

Loving the Fleet! Looks awesome.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Anyone know who sells/makes the parts to convert them from battery power?

The conversion should be quite easy. Use Suzo/Happ power supply 42PP0608.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from D1P:

The conversion should be quite easy. Use Suzo/Happ power supply 42PP0608.

Thanks, it appears my pin needs 6V and that doesn't seem to be a selection on that power supply! It originally took 3 of those beer can looking batteries.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Thanks, it appears my pin needs 6V and that doesn't seem to be a selection on that power supply! It originally took 3 of those beer can looking batteries.

5 volts should work fine.

#47 4 years ago

I thought I read you can use a 6 volt automotive type battery charger? I have one that can switch between 6 and 12 volts.

2 years later
    #49 2 years ago

I know this is a really old thread bump but I am trying to determine the correct bulb for the backbox score lamp in a 1936 Bally Bumper machine? Does anyone know if it's a 110VAC bulb? It's a single socket bulb pictured here:

Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 3.18.08 PM (resized).png

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I know this is a really old thread bump but I am trying to determine the correct bulb for the backbox score lamp in a 1936 Bally Bumper machine? Does anyone know if it's a 110VAC bulb? It's a single socket bulb pictured here:

Check the wires going to the socket with a volt meter and see what the voltage reads

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.04
    Playfield - Plastics
    F14 Tomcat Slingshots Out of stock
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 29.95
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 40.00
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 209.99
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 222.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Buthamburg
    $ 109.99
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 19.99
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside