lower circuit slick chick (resized).JPG
O switch score motor (resized).JPG
O switches XB relay (resized).JPG
O relay circuit (resized).JPG
DSC02891 (resized).JPG
DSC02894 (resized).JPG
ball release coil (resized).JPG
slick chick O relay (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm working on a friend's "Slick Chick" and am chasing down a problem where the score motor just keeps running when the game is finished. I notice the O relay isn't de-energizing, and it's not a complicated circuit. I know where most of the switches are, but there's a n/c switch labeled "On Ball Release" over on the right side of the schematic. Where is that physically on the machine? Is the ball release that metal plate that rises to let the balls into the area where they can then be pushed into the shooter lane?

I know this is easy stuff for you old hands - I'm still learning Gottlieb's nomenclature.

slick chick O relay (resized).JPGslick chick O relay (resized).JPG
#5 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes, pinball419, what you said makes perfect sense. And yes, the other wire on that switch should be that common power side (red/white).

I won't be at the machine until tomorrow, but I'll take a pic or two just to confirm, and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks for the help!

#7 4 years ago

Thanks David - I think I'll have some time with the machine today, so I'll see if I can identify the ball release coil definitely. I'll let you know what I find.

#8 4 years ago

According to the schematic, the ball release coil should have an OR-BL wire as the "interesting" one. So this must be the coil (second picture). And indeed, if I manually open that switch farthest to the left in the first photo (farthest away from the mech), then the motor stops running, so that must be the switch in series with the motor on the far right side of the first schematic snippet I posted (even though the wire colors are hard to decipher).

So the game ends, the score motor continues to run, the "O" relay is locked on (energized) and will get very hot quickly. If I manually trip the ball release lever, it does stop the score motor from running, and the balls fall into the area from which they can be pushed into the shooter lane. The score motor will stop running if I press the replay button to start another game as well. But shouldn't it stop running without having to do that? I've attached a bit more of the "O" relay circuit and it looks like the only thing that will turn off the "O" relay is that switch on the ball release. Am I understanding that correctly?
DSC02891 (resized).JPGDSC02891 (resized).JPGDSC02894 (resized).JPGDSC02894 (resized).JPGO relay circuit (resized).JPGO relay circuit (resized).JPGball release coil (resized).JPGball release coil (resized).JPG

#9 4 years ago

On a side note, the pop bumpers were pretty lame on this particular game, so I tried unwrapping layers of wire on the pop bumper coils. I hadn't done it before, and was a little cautious, so I only took off 2 layers of wire and dropped the resistance of the coils from 2.4 ohms to about 1.9 ohms. And it really worked nicely - livened up the action among the pop bumpers which you really need for this game. I probably should have taken a little more wire off....maybe later. But it's easy to do, and pretty effective if you haven't tried that particular trick yet.

#11 4 years ago

Hi pinball419 - When I pull in the coil manually, it does work as you'd think from the schematic - it cuts off power to the "O" relay, the balls roll into the "ready" position, which opens the 4th and 5th ball trough position switches, so the power to "O" stays off. When I press the replay button on the front of the coin door, it does the same thing - energizes the ball return coil and everything is fine. The problem is that when the game ends, the "O" stays energized and the score motor keeps running. There should be something that cuts off the score motor as it sits there in the game over state without having to start another game, right?

#13 4 years ago

Hi dmarston - relay "O" is the match relay. There are 4 normally open switches on it. One is the hold switch in series with the relay. (It's pictured above)

2 more are in series with the XB (Game Over) relay - picture attached here.

The final switch is one of several switches in parallel with each other that can turn on the score motor - picture attached.

That should be it for the switches on the O relay.

O switch score motor (resized).JPGO switch score motor (resized).JPGO switches XB relay (resized).JPGO switches XB relay (resized).JPG
#14 4 years ago

It might make sense in context...

lower circuit slick chick (resized).JPGlower circuit slick chick (resized).JPG
#15 4 years ago

So I'm trying to understand what happens when a game ends... The 4th and 5th ball trough switches close (see post 1), which completes a circuit to turn on the O relay. The 4 n/o switches on A then close, keeping O energized even if motor 1C opens. Another switch on O turns on the score motor. There is no score motor sequence chart on the schematic, but I'm assuming that at some point, motor 1A and 2C must close at the same time, completing the XB relay circuit (post 14) and energizing it. At that point, doesn't the XB n/c switch circled in green then open and cut off power to everything above it? So why is the O relay still energized?

I'll look at that XB switch and see if it is really opening.

relay list (resized).JPGrelay list (resized).JPG
#17 4 years ago

Thanks dmarston - I went in today to look at it. With the game over and the score motor running, I tripped the XB relay manually (it's a latching relay) and the machine shut off normally. So I wondered if the coil that trips it was getting a pulse - it was hard to tell with a multimeter, but I hooked a light up to it and sure enough, it's getting a 27V pulse. It should be tripping and turning the game off. I'm guessing the coil is just open, but I'll check it out with a meter next time I get there.

3 weeks later
#18 4 years ago

Just cleaning up this thread - yes, the XB relay coil was open. I ordered one from PBR, put it in the machine, and that problem was taken care of.

This is a really fun machine, by the way!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paulace.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-on-ball-release-switch?tu=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.