Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

489D6B63-F5D0-4475-8AB3-A6E10AF6493E.jpeg
    7EC84E5C-8E90-4255-8A40-83B575CAAA22.jpeg
    46E068F9-2B05-406F-99BE-BE711E76C741 (resized).jpeg
    7FC26924-0471-46E0-8A3D-645FC7707BEA (resized).jpeg
    12F2B8E0-7131-43EB-9D49-B39DB591EF01 (resized).jpeg
    ADB46253-211F-41A4-9BB9-32488F7C8670 (resized).jpeg
    787D485A-3F47-4CA8-B131-649A258A4D1C (resized).jpeg
    ACA05D5A-BBED-4531-99C2-C0B1DB5C9336 (resized).jpeg
    581099A5-40B4-492A-866A-DC3F0C2C5E1E (resized).jpeg
    F6D0D27F-4DBC-495F-96D9-E7700FE9BA32 (resized).jpeg
    1j9yq562dq27u (resized).jpg
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Got my glass from Steve the other day.
    So the timeframe wasn’t too bad from start to finish.
    Communication in the beginning was amazing. But as soon as payment for the new glass was sent it was radio silence until receiving a random text with a FedEx tracking number, which was an awesome surprise.

At first I was just super happy I got a new glass and I could say my Shangri-La project was done but as the days go on I’m noticing differences in colors and it’s starting to bother me.

Heres the original
    787D485A-3F47-4CA8-B131-649A258A4D1C (resized).jpeg787D485A-3F47-4CA8-B131-649A258A4D1C (resized).jpeg
    Here’s the reproduction
    581099A5-40B4-492A-866A-DC3F0C2C5E1E (resized).jpeg581099A5-40B4-492A-866A-DC3F0C2C5E1E (resized).jpegACA05D5A-BBED-4531-99C2-C0B1DB5C9336 (resized).jpegACA05D5A-BBED-4531-99C2-C0B1DB5C9336 (resized).jpeg
    Here are all the color differences
    F6D0D27F-4DBC-495F-96D9-E7700FE9BA32 (resized).jpegF6D0D27F-4DBC-495F-96D9-E7700FE9BA32 (resized).jpeg
    What do you guys think?
    On one hand the new glass DOESNT LOOK BAD but on the other hand it doesn’t match and to do the game justice some simple adjustment would correct it.

I went in on this with another Shangri-La owner and he tried to reach out about the color variations before the glass was made and never got a reply.

#52 4 years ago

not horrible, but not great either.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Got my glass from Steve the other day.
    So the timeframe wasn’t too bad from start to finish.
    Communication in the beginning was amazing. But as soon as payment for the new glass was sent it was radio silence until receiving a random text with a FedEx tracking number, which was an awesome surprise.
    At first I was just super happy I got a new glass and I could say my Shangri-La project was done but as the days go on I’m noticing differences in colors and it’s starting to bother me.
    Heres the original
    [quoted image]
    Here’s the reproduction
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    Here are all the color differences
    [quoted image]
    What do you guys think?
    On one hand the new glass DOESNT LOOK BAD but on the other hand it doesn’t match and to do the game justice some simple adjustment would correct it.
    I went in on this with another Shangri-La owner and he tried to reach out about the color variations before the glass was made and never got a reply.

Looks like the dude must be color blind
    That's crazy.

#54 4 years ago

Its beautiful to me, these variations in color they happen , but i do know how you feel one green color in my back glass was slightly bluer than the original did i notice -yes , did it bother me - only if i let it , when it comes to colors i understand there are challenges to get perfect matches , and color is different to different people it is highly subjective , the thing i consider is that many aspects of the back glass are much better now no flaking , no red fade to pink colors or see through colors , my blacks are awesome .better contrast and pop . looking at your old glass it has a nice condition of aged patina that has less color saturation in it than the new glass , when it comes to old art we all love the old patina and details , your new glass was ordered to give your old machine some wow . let me ask two questions . how does the details look on the new glass? and if you turn your machine on walk out of the room then walk back in how does the machine look to you with the new glass (non critical of color ,just how do you feel about the new glass and the machine) if it gave your machine something fresh in appearance than its great

#55 4 years ago

those things like colours being out doesn't bother me.

would rather a minty looking bglass with some colours out, than some of the hammered bglasses floating around.

just stoked to have steve's service and he ships to australia!

waiting for him to have gottlieb surf side on file so can order at the same time score-board and top card

#56 4 years ago

now that i stare at it the mountain being red instead of brown is the biggest thing , if you can look past that is the thing

the blues look better and
    the yellow shangri la looks better
    the blacks look better
    greens pop more

#57 4 years ago

I think the new one definitely pops more. So, the colors don’t match, who really cares. If you had 100 people come look at it, they would say it looks beautiful. Plus, there are variations in color and print in many back glasses. Lots of originals differ from each other. It’s the nature of the beast. Enjoy your minty backglass!! Also, I know Steve travels all over the world, so communication can be tough at times. He always comes through though.

#58 4 years ago

Feel lucky someone can do this. He did an eight ball for us and we r super happy

#59 4 years ago

I agree it pops more. There is definitely a more vibrant look to it.
    I don’t hate it. I know match colors perfectly is outlandish to expect.
    But to change Greyish-Green bricks to peach or Brown mountain to Red or to ignore the Fuchsia accents or to change purple to black is more than just missing a piece or two.

Ultimately it is what it is. I am happy that I have a minty backglass. I guess I was more interested if anyone else had similar results with Steve and if there were any different outcomes. Whether it was fixed for the next person or the glass was replaced.

There seems to be an under tone that providing feedback in scenarios like this is ill advised like Steve will fold up shop and disappear but I doubt he’s that sensitive.

Thanks for validating that it looks good overall even though there are a few differences in colors.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

those things like colours being out doesn't bother me.
    would rather a minty looking bglass with some colours out, than some of the hammered bglasses floating around.
    just stoked to have steve's service and he ships to australia!
    waiting for him to have gottlieb surf side on file so can order at the same time score-board and top card

Agreed. You would never know unless you are looking at both of them at the same time, and when they are in your game, you don't.

#61 4 years ago

It wouldn't bother me as much as how the light won't shine thru like it would on a silk screened glass and it will only show up in spots because it is done on some kind of inkjet paper glued to glass instead.

#62 4 years ago

still better than a trashed backglass , use brighter bulbs maybe

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It wouldn't bother me as much as how the light won't shine thru like it would on a silk screened glass and it will only show up in spots because it is done on some kind of inkjet paper glued to glass instead.

It doesn’t look to bad lit up. I used LEDs to help it out. Light only shines through a few parts of this glass.

Here’s the back
    ADB46253-211F-41A4-9BB9-32488F7C8670 (resized).jpegADB46253-211F-41A4-9BB9-32488F7C8670 (resized).jpeg12F2B8E0-7131-43EB-9D49-B39DB591EF01 (resized).jpeg12F2B8E0-7131-43EB-9D49-B39DB591EF01 (resized).jpeg7FC26924-0471-46E0-8A3D-645FC7707BEA (resized).jpeg7FC26924-0471-46E0-8A3D-645FC7707BEA (resized).jpeg46E068F9-2B05-406F-99BE-BE711E76C741 (resized).jpeg46E068F9-2B05-406F-99BE-BE711E76C741 (resized).jpeg

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shangri-blah-to-shangri-la-

#64 4 years ago

I had a Shangri La, and it had a very lovely well lit backglass.

I have also had one of these BGrestos, and yes, it is better than a super trashed glass or no glass at all.

#65 4 years ago

I like the repro better. More pop. I think it looks great.

#66 4 years ago

I once ordered a glass. It came in and it was the wrong size.
    Steve offered to send another one free. I said that i would just pay for the second one.
    I sent him a pic of the original that had tape measures on it showing length and width.
    The second one arrived an inch too short.
    I made a filler for the game to make up the difference.
    He is a great asset to the community. I will order from him again . I just hope it is one he has already done.
    I think sometimes the time in between the order and execution create mistakes.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

I once ordered a glass. It came in and it was the wrong size.
    Steve offered to send another one free. I said that i would just pay for the second one.
    I sent him a pic of the original that had tape measures on it showing length and width.
    The second one arrived an inch too short.
    I made a filler for the game to make up the difference.
    He is a great asset to the community. I will order from him again . I just hope it is one he has already done.
    I think sometimes the time in between the order and execution create mistakes.

Two times the glass was the wrong size, even with pictures??

John

#68 4 years ago

Is it possible those were original colors and he knew they had faded? I ask only because I am anxiously waiting for one and I am nervous it won’t be as good as it was :/.

#69 4 years ago

Yes, i felt bad that it was a one off glass that no one would ever buy from him.
    The second glass was short in height by one inch.
    The pic i sent had 2 tape measures stretched out over it showing the length and the width. I also included the dimensions in the email in written form. I waited months and months. My wife said he took my money and i was going to get nothing but i knew he would come thru.
    With the second one, i decided to cut my loses and just make a 1" filler for the base of the glass. When i was done you could not tell unless you owned the game.
    I did not tell steve that the second one was also the wrong size. I did not want to burn that bridge.

#70 4 years ago

I have bought Centaur and Seawitch glasses from Steve.
    A+ work.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Yes, i felt bad that it was a one off glass that no one would ever buy from him.
    The second glass was short in height by one inch.
    The pic i sent had 2 tape measures stretched out over it showing the length and the width. I also included the dimensions in the email in written form. I waited months and months. My wife said he took my money and i was going to get nothing but i knew he would come thru.
    With the second one, i decided to cut my loses and just make a 1" filler for the base of the glass. When i was done you could not tell unless you owned the game.
    I did not tell steve that the second one was also the wrong size. I did not want to burn that bridge.

wow , these things happen because of either poor communication method or working to fast , I don't think you or steve were at fault , i would just tell him what had happened anyways and give him the opportunity to do the right thing , an artist like steve is likely a profectionist and if this is new to his catalog he will likely catalog what he creates including mistakes

#72 4 years ago

It was 2 years ago.
    I have since sold the game.
    I tried to sell the second glass on pinside.
    No interest.

#73 4 years ago

Also, this should go without saying, the glass i got from steve was a thousand times better than the glass i had.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

It was 2 years ago.
    I have since sold the game.
    I tried to sell the second glass on pinside.
    No interest.

i didn't know that was history , sorry for your short straws you drew , it is a concern when we enter into these things as we hope for the best , and thanks for sharing this story

#75 4 years ago

The point of my story is simple, though it might be a little too short or the colors may not be exactly what we want, the fact that a source for a non flaking replacement Backglass exists is a blessing.

2 weeks later
    #76 4 years ago

I just got my #scorpion backglass back from BGresto. Overall I like it, but some color choices were made that don’t exactly line up. I had two made since I had two to start with. One was a horrible mess, and the other (pictured) was pretty good.

I figured I would share for reference. The second one is the new one with the more vibrant red letters.

7EC84E5C-8E90-4255-8A40-83B575CAAA22.jpeg7EC84E5C-8E90-4255-8A40-83B575CAAA22.jpeg489D6B63-F5D0-4475-8AB3-A6E10AF6493E.jpeg489D6B63-F5D0-4475-8AB3-A6E10AF6493E.jpeg
    #77 4 years ago

Does it have mirrored edges?

#78 4 years ago

If you send in your original glass (which is how BGresto works), steve strips the original artwork off the glass. It leaves behind just the mirroring with no graphics. Then he can re-do the graphics onto the original mirrored glass, saving the mirroring. He did this for me on an Atari Superman glass, and it came out great. I've seen him do it on Black Knight glass also.

#79 4 years ago

That is cool.

1 year later
    #81 3 years ago

Anyone get any communication from Steve lately? I emailed him twice, once last week and again the other day about buying a Strato-flite backglass but no response.

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Anyone get any communication from Steve lately? I emailed him twice, once last week and again the other day about buying a Strato-flite backglass but no response.

Steve got back to me this morning, never mind.

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-bgresto/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.