(Topic ID: 216832)

Where in the world is considered the Pinball Mecca?

By Dooskie

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image0a (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

If a person were going to take a break from life for a week and immerse themselves in playing pinball, where's the best place in the world to go?

#2 5 years ago

Minneapolis IMHO

#3 5 years ago

Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. Huge collection, and lots of rare and unique games you'll probably never see anywhere else. You'll be able to play all sorts of rare treats, like Krull and Pinball Circus. When you're pinballed out, go see Penn and Teller or David Copperfield on the strip, or if you want, Death Valley is a 2 hour drive west, and if you've never been, it's honestly a pretty amazing experience, especially if you like sweating.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

If a person were going to take a break from life for a week and immerse themselves in playing pinball, where's the best place in the world to go?

My walk in basement.

#5 5 years ago

Looking at pinball map.com, Portland, Seattle, and the bay area CA all have more than 700 tables listed. If you want to interact with other pinheads the IFPA calender would be a good place to find events.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. Huge collection, and lots of rare and unique games you'll probably never see anywhere else. You'll be able to play all sorts of rare treats, like Krull and Pinball Circus. When you're pinballed out, go see Penn and Teller or David Copperfield on the strip, or if you want, Death Valley is a 2 hour drive west, and if you've never been, it's honestly a pretty amazing experience, especially if you like sweating.

Did the Pinball Hall of Fame and was impressed by the game selection but nothing else. It's a super cramped venue with absolutely no circulation in a place known for the desert heat.

#7 5 years ago

I'm heading to Chicago soon for my Bachelor Pinball Party and couldn't believe the amount of games and locations with pinball on site. Plus we're doing a factory tour of Stern so that's a +1 in my book.

#9 5 years ago

IN your house,in front of your own pins!! If you don't think so,then YOU screwed up with what you bought!

#10 5 years ago

It’s Chicago. The birthplace. It’s where all the great companies are or were. (I am specifying American pinball as we know it with flippers and plungers or auto plunging devices.) while there are other place with MORE pins to play on location you can’t beat Chicago’s history, and I suspect some private collections in Chicagoland are quite impressive if ya know the right people.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

It’s Chicago. The birthplace. It’s where all the great companies are or were. (I am specifying American pinball as we know it with flippers and plungers or auto plunging devices.) while there are other place with MORE pins to play on location you can’t beat Chicago’s history, and I suspect some private collections in Chicagoland are quite impressive if ya know the right people.

I thought that might be the case. By the way, I lived in Fondy for 9 years. You're just up the road!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

This is my answer as well. Are there any non-US companies still in production? (Let’s not count DP just yet)

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from drewski28:

Did the Pinball Hall of Fame and was impressed by the game selection but nothing else. It's a super cramped venue with absolutely no circulation in a place known for the desert heat.

Sorry you felt that way about it. We went in early November, so heat wasn't too much of an issue, and I don't recall it being cramped at all. The building it's in is huge. To me, it wasn't any more cramped than, say, Allentown Pinfest. You just have to pay per game to play. I think between my fiancé and myself, together we spend $20 total in quarters, and played everything worth playing.

----

A couple of other honorable mentions:

Seattle has the Seattle Pinball Museum. We had a great time there. Two floors of very well maintained games. We didn't spend much more time in Seattle, so I couldn't tell you other things to do (other than seek out more pinball).

Montreal has North Star Pinball Bar. Small selection of games, but a great beer selection. They actually have the original "D. Gottlieb and Co." sign that was on the factory lit up behind the bar. Great city, lots of places there to sightsee! Just get your Bonjour on!

#14 5 years ago

We do have a hardcore pinball scene if you are into that. John puts up pinball events all year and are done well and inviting.

Within half an hour of where i live i can go to LTGs SS Billards, blainebrook, tilt, mortimors, up down. Lots of options and each one has its unique features .

#15 5 years ago

.....CA......

#16 5 years ago

Banning, CA when they open up the hanagars!!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

IN your house,in front of your own pins!! If you don't think so,then YOU screwed up with what you bought!

...so take a break from life to treat yourself, but don't leave your house? Lol

These topics usually have everyone claiming that the place they live is THE place to enjoy Pin.
    I think there are a lot of answers and you basically can't go wrong, I would say go someplace recommended that you think you will also enjoy the city/state.
    Maybe combine your trip with a show that is going on, or make sure it is someplace you've never been.
    Enjoy your trip to whatever "Mecca" you decide on, then pick another and compare to decide for yourself.
    Also, the answer is obviously Colorado.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Sorry you felt that way about it. We went in early November, so heat wasn't too much of an issue, and I don't recall it being cramped at all. The building it's in is huge. To me, it wasn't any more cramped than, say, Allentown Pinfest. You just have to pay per game to play. I think between my fiancé and myself, together we spend $20 total in quarters, and played everything worth playing.

Over the last couple of years, I've been fortunate to travel to Vegas on business about once a month, and the PHOF is always on the agenda.

I've seen what both of you describe. Like most places that welcome customers, there is an optimal number of people. Much less and the place seems dead, much more and it's way too crowded and tight. They've also got good days and bad days as far as what's broken and what's working, but that is definitely pinball.

Unfortunately, being in the desert, crowded quickly also means "hot" and "close".

On the other hand, there are so many games that you just won't ever see anywhere else that it's completely worth it.

#19 5 years ago

If I might be so bold. http://ssbilliards.com/

You get 19 pins to play. Two more coming soon. See the mug museum. Visit with me. While I regale you with 60 years in the industry and all the weird tech support questions. And jokes and pranks. Just be sure when you visit, that you got your sh*tt*n pants on.

LTG : )

#20 5 years ago

The Museum Of Pinball in Banning is by far the mecca. The biggest commercial or private collection on the planet, but they are only open 6 days a year.

image0a (resized).jpgimage0a (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

^ what this guy said...

#22 5 years ago

I've always felt a trip to the VFW, Banning, Replay FX, and TPF would be a great year.

#23 5 years ago

CHICAGO....not even a debate

#24 5 years ago

NYC used to have less than 80 pinball machines in the wild in 2006, hundreds now. Growing every year. NYCPC bringing major pinball tournament back. One day

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMagnet:

The Museum Of Pinball in Banning is by far the mecca. The biggest commercial or private collection on the planet, but they are only open 6 days a year.

The museum is hard to beat. I have volunteered there, very fun.

It is Shaping up to be the best public place to play pinball. I sure hope they open more in the future. Like every weekend would be nice.

It's a 2 hour drive for me to get there.

There is also the joy of my one machine in my living room. It's not the same as banning.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#26 5 years ago

Portland/Seattle

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-in-the-world-is-considered-the-pinball-mecca and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.