Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Propaganda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

money.jpg
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LED's did suck. They seemed to fix the "strobing effect" now so they arn't as bad as they used to be. They are brighter as well. But they still need to find a way to have the super brights. Disperse the light out sideways more rather than up. I like LED's in some spots in some games. But not every game everywhere.

I will admit they seem to be getting better. I will also admit I am trying to keep an open mind. But even aside from the strobing (which in my opinion pretty much renders the game unplayable), I see a lot of unnaturalness to the light from these LEDs. Weird reflections off the ball as it is traveling around, other strangeness. For all their disadvantages the ancient incandescent light bulb is pretty perfected in light dispersal. Or maybe we are just more used to it?

And you mention them being brighter as an advantage. I think that is where we part ways. To me that is the real problem with LEDs, they are in a lot of cases just too bright, especially in GI and flashers. We shouldn't have to wear protective sunglasses to play a game of pinball. IMHO.

#102 11 years ago

they are too bright, but because of the direction the light is going, it blinds you sometimes, and this is where I think they need these super brites to redirect the light differently and they would light up the playfield more without blinding you.

#103 11 years ago

man and i just got into the hobby, (still looking for my first pin) there better be some nice people left.

#104 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If you sell all your games and only play on location, you won't have problems like this.

If only that were possible.

#105 11 years ago

I got in to this hobby because I enjoy fixing the playing the games. Pulling a game out of someones house that has been sitting there for 20 years and getting it going agian nd having someone else enjoy it for another 20 years is what i like

#106 11 years ago

I could never afford thi hobby but if your in the game pins have a way of finding you

#107 11 years ago

I would say it's always about the money no matter what hobby your into. I love the mods and the flashing lights along with the attraction. Some will and some won't. Why is it, if someone does and he's not been into pinball machines way back from the 80's, he's ruining it? I just do not get all the crying in pinball. "There's no crying in pinball". Do you think a guy is going to fix up a car and sell it for the same price? Why, is it if a guy sales a pinball for what he thinks it's worth, it's wrong? What makes your pricing right? Because you can afford it? Look, I would love a MM or MB but I am not going to spend over 10K to get one. Just because I want one and your wanting 24K for it doesn't make you an "a"hole or a horrible person. It just make me a non-buyer at this point. FYI, if I put LED's in a machine, I am going to charge more money for it. My time it worth something. If your times isn't worth anything then come mow my yard for free and while your at it wash my truck. Yes, I did not read every post of this thread but I read enough to scratch my head and want to pass out tissues. To you guy's making mod's, keep up the good work. To you guy's putting in LED's, keep making the game look amazing! To you guy's who power coat your machines and love them, keep doing so. To you guys who hate it, don't buy it and let's just all get along.

#108 11 years ago

I think that's the issue. How much money do you think you should get for changing a bunch of light bulbs? $10/hr? $15/hr? Okay, then if you want to get paid for your labor that's another $45 coming to you. It doesn't add $500 to a machine like some people seem to think.

Quoted from wdpvideo:

FYI, if I put LED's in a machine, I am going to charge more money for it. My time it worth something. If your times isn't worth anything then come mow my yard for free and while your at it wash my truck.

#109 11 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

I would say it's always about the money no matter what hobby your into. I love the mods and the flashing lights along with the attraction. Some will and some won't. Why is it, if someone does and he's not been into pinball machines way back from the 80's, he's ruining it? I just do not get all the crying in pinball. "There's no crying in pinball". Do you think a guy is going to fix up a car and sell it for the same price? Why, is it if a guy sales a pinball for what he thinks it's worth, it's wrong? What makes your pricing right? Because you can afford it? Look, I would love a MM or MB but I am not going to spend over 10K to get one. Just because I want one and your wanting 24K for it doesn't make you an "a"hole or a horrible person. It just make me a non-buyer at this point. FYI, if I put LED's in a machine, I am going to charge more money for it. My time it worth something. If your times isn't worth anything then come mow my yard for free and while your at it wash my truck. Yes, I did not read every post of this thread but I read enough to scratch my head and want to pass out tissues. To you guy's making mod's, keep up the good work. To you guy's putting in LED's, keep making the game look amazing! To you guy's who power coat your machines and love them, keep doing so. To you guys who hate it, don't buy it and let's just all get along.

well said...

#110 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If you sell all your games and only play on location, you won't have problems like this.
    Owning games is not a requirement of the hobby.

In theory that is definitely true. Some of us do not have that option though.

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

To you guy's putting in LED's, keep making the game look amazing! To you guy's who power coat your machines and love them, keep doing so. To you guys who hate it, don't buy it and let's just all get along.

I agree. And my post wasn't meant to say that I hate anyone that is modding their machine with LEDs, just to point out that not everyone is a fan. Just like I think it was kind of sad a while back that there was so much talk about the wonders of playfield clearcoating that newbies coming into the hobby were sometimes afraid to even play a game they had just purchased until such "necessary" repairs had been done. Regardless that the game had already been played thousands of times without it. Regardless that the game already had a nice clearcoat from the factory.

Now the newbies are being programmed by this group (and others) that the game is somehow broken or defective without such additions. I have seen it in person, folks will come over to my house and look at me like I'm crazy that I hardly have any LED lights in my tables, especially with the higher end titles. "How can you own a CC or a MM without LEDs, powdercoating, color DMD, etc? When are you going to get around to doing all that?". Never is pretty much my answer. Now enjoy a game on one of my machines without a headache or seizure afterwards, and you are welcome.

#112 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

they are too bright, but because of the direction the light is going, it blinds you sometimes, and this is where I think they need these super brites to redirect the light differently and they would light up the playfield more without blinding you.

In fact we seem to agree 100% on what the problem is. Our only divergence is everything you just described is why I'm not spending hundreds of dollars to put these in my games (that, and general pinball poverty right now). With such a defect that hasn't been worked out just yet I don't understand why so many folks are doing this. Presumably the technology on these bulbs will eventually fix these issues, if so I might dip my toe, but right now it's a lot of money for a sucky experience. Again, IMHO.

#113 11 years ago

LEDs are needed in spots where ramps and plastics can melt/warp from incandescents. One biggie is on SS under the boney Beast ramp entrance!

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

One biggie is on SS under the boney Beast ramp entrance!

Or turn the socket 180 degrees so the bulb is pointing the other direction.

LTG : )

#115 11 years ago

Thats what I did LTG. Didn't have any LEDs on hand when I bought it and put it in the line-up. I'm not going against or for LEDs but I do like the loss in heat and power usage that the LEDs give you. They do look nice under inserts if done correctly. I beleive it was LW3 that had red boots on the bulbs in the gun insert. No ghosting with them....

#116 11 years ago

Personally, I don't like LED's, but, I do admit, for some GI lighting, then can look nice. Nothing that the ball rolls over though, even with the new ones the ball just disappears to my eyes.

#117 11 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of them but do like the reduced power and heat they generate. So I like them in my backbox if it doesn't change colors for those benefits. My lotr came with them throughout and I do not notice issues with ball roll-over but have in others.

#118 11 years ago

I dislike LED's...to each their own.

I'm part of the price issue, I ask a lot for my pins because everything I want to buy, people are asking a lot for them. It is a vicious circle.

I've been in the hobby quite a while now, and I can't tell you how many pins I have fixed and shopped for free or at a loss. It used to be: Buy a pin, fix a pin, shop a pin, sell a pin to fund the purchase of another. No money was made, you were just happy to get most or all of your money back.

I feel, prices will come down on older games as newer games displace the top 100 pins. Just like SS games have displaced EM's. Again, my opinion, this is already happening with games from the early & mid 80's. The late 80's & early 90's will follow next. As with anything, there will be exceptions, but newer games are generally more desirable.

#119 11 years ago

I too recently got into this hobby and have been looking for my first pin. I must say that I was pretty shocked at the prices as well. I too am in it for the hobby and want to learn the ins and outs of pinball ownership. The entry price point is getting to the place of where I can't even look at a semi-popular DMD that is trashed for under $2k. I have already spoken with some great people here in the NW and I hope to meet them in person at the NW pinball show in June, but so far the hunt has been pretty much "top shelf" or garbage. Both at a premium.

#120 11 years ago

Original thread to discuss what's missing from "the hobby", degrades to postings about LEDs and pricing. Getting too familiar.

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-has-the-hobby-gone/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.