(Topic ID: 94236)

!!! Where has everyone been? Remakes? What?

By ovfdfireman

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

165000601.jpg
    image-229.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

My perspective is apparently different from most. There seems to be an alot of discussion about Stern running Ironman again and even the term remake. Maybe remake will fall into the basket with HUO (most misused term).

Where was everyone when they did another run of TRON? I recall everyone being excited. How about Spider-Man? I was excited when they ran another batch, cuz I bought one, didn't hear the uproar then either....not even from Frankfurter (shows my age if your a newbie).

Like most manufacturers they make more if the demand is there, often making production changes along the way. Isn't this what people want? I can see how it stinks for someone who recently paid top dollar, but comparing TRON and Spider-Man the value does not seem affected long term for these games.

I have received many offers on my ironman and didn't sell it. but I don't feel I lost anything, I still have the game.

HERE IS MY PERSPECTIVE
    Consider this, you bought the game 6 months ago for $5500, and it was worth every penny to you! How does Stern selling some additional games change anything at all? You still have a game, you paid what it was worth, now you are enjoying it, getting your use out of it. Now all of a sudden it sucks? Now all of a sudden "I got screwed", ..... Not really, if it was worth it to you then, why isn't it now? Compare it to anything else you buy new car, truck, boat, camper, motorcycle, computer, game console, television, furniture, tools, anything. New models come out and the older models go down. Yes pinball has been good to us because the recent upsurge in the hobby causing people to pay "whatever it takes" for a game. But that's just not normal, and cannot be expected with every game. In fact I would say that most new games will go down before they go up.

FYI I am pissed at Ford, they are doing an F150 refake in 2015.... What? .... Nevermind

#2 9 years ago

It is and has been the stated business model of Stern, Jersey Jack and Planetary that they can make unlimited runs of any game. Not sure how some people have seemly overlooked that.

Kim

#3 9 years ago

Well said sir!!!

#4 9 years ago

OMG rational thought !

#5 9 years ago

There are many positives to remakes and reruns but some seem to overlook or simply deny that there are negatives as well… I'm sure everyone else will be listing the positives so I will take the other side as usual since I don't thrive on or live and die by 'thumbs up' like some…

A small rerun here or there is fine and even adding MMr probably won't SERIOUSLY affect things but now with remakes and reruns seemingly the 'cool' thing it sounds like they could get out of control the next couple years… If you believe the rumors that is.

In a nutshell continued reruns and remakes will kill the collector market… a market that put tons of money into this hobby and help it grow and expand. No matter what anyone feels about the collector their money is just as important in this hobby as your money. Also, continued reruns and remakes kill values, values that some guys rely on to continue to enjoy the hobby. Most guys in the hobby are not rich. Many guys are in the hobby for the enjoyment only but many of these guys also have to rely on the investment part so they can continue to enjoy it. This is an expensive hobby and some guys simply cannot afford to lose money on their pins. Without a gain or at least a break-even point some will have to leave just for the financial difficulty. Not to mention the flooding of the market… you know supply exceeding demand… supply exceeding money and space…

Some may not like this and give me all the thumbs down but these are facts, reality… don't have to like it but it can't be denied.

If none of these negatives affect you, GREAT! Enjoy! Just realize the negative are there and depending how serious these negative get… they will determine the future of the hobby.

#6 9 years ago

There are absolutely no negatives to more new machines in the marketplace. IMHO if you purchase a pin with the intent to resell down the road you should always expect to get less than you paid for it(this is especially true if you mod the everlovin' hell out of it). If your not in it for the enjoyment of playing you're in it for the wrong reason.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

There are absolutely no negatives to more new machines in the marketplace. IMHO if you purchase a pin with the intent to resell down the road you should always expect to get less than you paid for it(this is especially true if you mod the everlovin' hell out of it). If your not in it for the enjoyment of playing you're in it for the wrong reason.

Like I said... some will simply refuse to see the otherside or understand anything about it. To say there are absolutely no negatives... denial is the only word I can use here without risk of a ban.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

There are many positives to remakes and reruns but some seem to overlook or simply deny that there are negatives as well… I'm sure everyone else will be listing the positives so I will take the other side as usual since I don't thrive on or live and die by 'thumbs up' like some…
    A small rerun here or there is fine and even adding MMr probably won't SERIOUSLY affect things but now with remakes and reruns seemingly the 'cool' thing it sounds like they could get out of control the next couple years… If you believe the rumors that is.
    In a nutshell continued reruns and remakes will kill the collector market… a market that put tons of money into this hobby and help it grow and expand. No matter what anyone feels about the collector their money is just as important in this hobby as your money. Also, continued reruns and remakes kill values, values that some guys rely on to continue to enjoy the hobby. Most guys in the hobby are not rich. Many guys are in the hobby for the enjoyment only but many of these guys also have to rely on the investment part so they can continue to enjoy it. This is an expensive hobby and some guys simply cannot afford to lose money on their pins. Without a gain or at least a break-even point some will have to leave just for the financial difficulty. Not to mention the flooding of the market… you know supply exceeding demand… supply exceeding money and space…
    Some may not like this and give me all the thumbs down but these are facts, reality… don't have to like it but it can't be denied.
    If none of these negatives affect you, GREAT! Enjoy! Just realize the negative are there and depending how serious these negative get… they will determine the future of the hobby.

Well spoken by an Important member of Pinside.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

Usually when you make sure an absolute and all-encompassing statement like this you're wrong. And this is no exception.

Paraphrasing the sentiment that I've read in this and the other threads, everyone immediately jumps to "if you care about the value of your machine, then you're in it for the wrong reasons..."

When you put a used Stern up for sale, trying to get as much as you can for it, it's usually to buy another pinball machine from someone else who has one for sale, who's trying to get as much as they can for it, so they can afford another pin....etc.

There's a balance to the marketplace. I think history has shown that when manufacturers take a look at a collectible marketplace and say "Hey, let's produce more of those, since their becoming valuable in the secondary market..." then you kill a certain portion of the used market which circulates money BACK into new game sales.

There's good and there's bad to these remakes. I can tell you it's not as absolute and definitive as certain people are making it out to be.

I can bet you many of those 2013 $6k IM sales went towards ST premiums, ACDC premiums, or other used machines which may have led THOSE sellers to purchase new Sterns...etc.

I think pinball companies should stick to making new and better machines, and leave the used/retro market to the collectors, honestly. I think the reason IM is being remade is because Mustang is underperforming in terms of sales (who couldn't have seen that coming??), and I don't know if that really speaks to the success of a pinball manufacturer, more of a stop gap to get them through the quarter and lessening the value of their used machines at the same time.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Like I said... some will simply refuse to see the otherside or understand anything about it. To say there are absolutely no negatives... denial is the only word I can use here without risk of a ban.

I'm neither denying or overlooking the fact that a few select titles have lost some value, that's a understood risk we all take when buying any collectible. The more pins out in the world the better, including remakes. If you can't agree with that then it's you in denial.

My advise to the current IM and MM owners would be to enjoy your game and not worry about the resale value. You did buy them to play, right?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Usually when you make sure an absolute and all-encompassing statement like this you're wrong. And this is no exception.
    Paraphrasing the sentiment that I've read in this and the other threads, everyone immediately jumps to "if you care about the value of your machine, then you're in it for the wrong reasons..."
    When you put a used Stern up for sale, trying to get as much as you can for it, it's usually to buy another pinball machine from someone else who has one for sale, who's trying to get as much as they can for it, so they can afford another pin....etc.
    There's a balance to the marketplace. I think history has shown that when manufacturers take a look at a collectible marketplace and say "Hey, let's produce more of those, since their becoming valuable in the secondary market..." then you kill a certain portion of the used market which circulates money BACK into new game sales.
    There's good and there's bad to these remakes. I can tell you it's not as absolute and definitive as certain people are making it out to be.
    I can bet you many of those 2013 $6k IM sales went towards ST premiums, ACDC premiums, or other used machines which may have led THOSE sellers to purchase new Sterns...etc.
    I think pinball companies should stick to making new and better machines, and leave the used/retro market to the collectors, honestly. I think the reason IM is being remade is because Mustang is underperforming in terms of sales (who couldn't have seen that coming??), and I don't know if that really speaks to the success of a pinball manufacturer, more of a stop gap to get them through the quarter and lessening the value of their used machines at the same time.

Bingo. Give the man a cigar.

Kim

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

continued reruns and remakes kill values, values that some guys rely on to continue to enjoy the hobby. Most guys in the hobby are not rich. Many guys are in the hobby for the enjoyment only but many of these guys also have to rely on the investment part so they can continue to enjoy it. This is an expensive hobby and some guys simply cannot afford to lose money on their pins.

^^^^^^This doesn't make sense to me....^^^^^
    If values go down, that would mean it would be cheaper for guys to enjoy the hobby.

If you have 2 pins now and the prices drop in half you will still have 2 pins and all the other pins will be half price also. Trade your 2 half price pins for a different 2 half price pins. You are still enjoying the hobby with 2 pins.

If you cannot afford to lose ANY money in ANY hobby, you are over extended.

For some people making money is their hobby, and selling pins is how they do it. The remakes will hurt these people. They will just have to find a different way to make money.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

There are many positives to remakes and reruns ...... Without a gain or at least a break-even point some will have to leave just for the financial reasons.

Those dick weeds should leave the hobby!

If it's all about money then it's not a hobby, it's a business.

This might get rid of some of the newbies that are a plague on pinball.

I like your train of thought teekee!

Chris Kruger

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from mechslave:

Must own an ironman"..........

#15 9 years ago

I hope stern makes thousands more of all their popular titles...pinball for the masses! investment be damned!!!!... keeping prices reasonable will help draw new players/owners and expand the hobby...

Thank you stern

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Well said Teekee, and I don't disagree, especially with a remake. However Stern simply running the title again has much less impact IMO. Again TRON was rerun... So was Spider-Man and they seem to be holding their own just fine. I might also add, none of these were ever labeled "limited edition" and at no point did Stern intend to limit the numbers. In fact they made as many as they could sell!

I can respect and understand both sides of this, especially with MM. But I guess with newer games it doesn't make sense. I bought my Spider-Man nib for $4000, now I suppose it's worth $5500..... But I don't want to sell it. If Stern decides to do another batch of Spider-Man's (which they will). Do I quick sell my game.... Just so I can buy another one when the "vault edition" comes out? Why bother, I still want the game and I have a $4000 Spider-Man. Cheaper than a new one.....

So while I don't disagree with what you are saying teekee, it seems people are just mad the didn't get a shot at the quick buck, because if you want the game in your collection, why sell it just to buy it back..... Speculation and a quick buck maybe, fine with me, but what if you are wrong? Sell your game and now nothing.

Again, no hubbub around the last few games Stern put back into production, why? Because it won't affect the market, once they are sold out Ironmans will still cost what Ironmans cost. I could be wrong.... But the bottom has not fell out of it yet.

#17 9 years ago

Can't argue teekee's theory on MM, a legitimate remake is a bit different than the factory reproducing a current model. For example if Chevy was to remake the 1967 camaro the collectors market would be affected, but making more 2010 camaro's in 2013 is just making more...

#18 9 years ago

Well that Chevys new camaro got inspired by the old camaro .....

image-229.jpgimage-229.jpg
    #19 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I hope stern makes thousands more of all their popular titles...pinball for the masses! investment be damned!!!!... keeping prices reasonable will help draw new players/owners and expand the hobby...
    Thank you stern

Cool. I'm with this guy. The more people playing/owning/restoring/modding the better

#20 9 years ago

Hey teekee.... So I was thinking, if people enjoy the speculating side, and playing the pin market a bit. Well then you win some and you lose some. Any investments and/or market plays, come with risk.

I enjoy speculating the market as much as the next guy, it wasn't that long ago I sold off 12 of my top games.... It's because I felt we were near the top of the market (still glad I did). I kept my MM because it was my wife's favorite game. However, at $13k I didn't feel I was in a position to gamble and opted to sell the rumor. Then when MMR was announced.... Bought the fact. I did debate selling on the IM rumor, but I did not see it as much of a gamble at all. Especially since the other reruns seem unaffected re price, Thoughts?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Monarca1091:

Well that Chevys new camaro got inspired by the old camaro .....

image-229.jpg 44 KB

Which got inspired by the mustang.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

In a nutshell continued reruns and remakes will kill the collector market… a market that put tons of money into this hobby and help it grow and expand. No matter what anyone feels about the collector their money is just as important in hobby as your money. Also, continued reruns and remakes kill values, values that some guys rely on to continue to enjoy the hobby.

I don't even know what to say to this. Help grow and expand? Pinball is dying with small rises and valleys. Pinball used to pull in more money than Hollywood. As is, the best games ,the games that would really hook people on location, are at a price point that is far beyond the economics for any business to put them on location. If you can't put pinball machines on location, the hobby is dead in 10-20 years. Remakes allow a company to by pass the expense of engineering and research and hopefully help them put a product out at hopefully a price point that is attractive to businesses. The industry I believe could come back if businesses could buy $3500 MM, AFM, TZ, WW ect.. This talk about collectors putting a ton of money into the market is kind of bunk as well. The only reason that the home market is becoming a larger percentage of the total is that business quit buying because the economics don't work anymore. Operators and business need to exist to make the industry work. Homeowners and collectors will never support a 7,000-10,000 run on anything. Much less half that..

#23 9 years ago

StrangelovePhD, Im not sure where you get "Pinball is dying with small rises and valleys." Just look at Boston eBay sales chart - http://bostonpinball.biz/ebay0513.htm . The prices of pin's have been going up steadily since 2010 which means more demand. "Barcades" are popping up etc.. The secondary pinball market is so strong currently Stern is going back to re-manufacture IM which has the first run almost sold out already..

#24 9 years ago

They could stop making new pins tomorrow and the pinball won't go away...just the "business" end of those relying on it to make money. They cloud this by calling it "supporting the hobby", but in the grand scheme of things - it's still making money. I don't sell games to pay for my parts orders. I use my earned employment cash to buy them. If I don't have extra available from my paycheck, then I have to do without.

I just think statements about remakes killing the hobby is a bunch of crap. Maybe it kills the hobby for you, but it certainly won't for me.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

StrangelovePhD, Im not sure where you get "Pinball is dying with small rises and valleys." Just look at Boston eBay sales chart - http://bostonpinball.biz/ebay0513.htm . The prices of pin's have been going up steadily since 2010 which means more demand. "Barcades" are popping up etc.. The secondary pinball market is so strong currently Stern is going back to re-manufacture IM which has the first run almost sold out already..

Small rise after a recessionary dip. Barcades don't really count. Most I have been to have phased out their pinball machines. Skee-ball probably outnumbers pinball 20-1 in the wild.

Compare the production numbers of 1990 vs 2012. Production likely isn't a quarter of what it was in 90s.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1990&searchtype=advanced

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=2012&searchtype=advanced

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from StrangelovePhD:

Small rise after a recessionary dip. Barcades don't really count. Most I have been to have phased out their pinball machines. Skee-ball probably outnumbers pinball 20-1 in the wild.
    Compare the production numbers of 1990 vs 2012. Production likely isn't a quarter of what it was in 90s.

Sure. It's a different market, and not nearly as many manufacturers to support as existed in 1990.

There will gradually be an increase in homeowner market saturation, unless Pinball can keep recruiting new enthusiasts in the future as has been the case the past 5 years, which will lead to a pullback in production. When that happens is anybody's guess, because it really depends on the machines, the marketplace, the themes, the culture, the economy in general, etc. Could be in 20 years or 2 years, but sooner rather than later is the consensus, however nobody really knows.

With new machines staying relatively new in collector's homes, there's very little wear and tear and need for 'replacement' machines. It's simply moving machines around, like musical chairs except chairs are added (new collectors) and when the chairs aren't being added, then they will run short and prices will drop, and manufacturers will pull back, ala Stern 2007.

While it's a historic perspective, nothing about 1990 really applies to the here and now in Pinball.

#27 9 years ago

Musical pinball chairs? huh.

165000601.jpg165000601.jpg

#28 9 years ago

Months and months of fighting have actually really fleshed out teekee's position well. I gave him his first thumbs up in a while from me for articulating the negatives to remakes well and in a fair manner.

#29 9 years ago

Double edged sword most of my titles if remade would lose money. I bought them all to play. Hope to get most my money back out when I am done with them. But if the market got flooded to the point where they all went down then pins would be everywhere and cheap. Could also probably make a few bucks on the side form all the new people not knowing how to do anything to a pinball machine. More owners means more need for repairs.

I just hope the quality stays on the remakes. Everything else is not up to me. Only when to stay and when to get out. But it is in my blood and doubt it is leaving anytime soon. I have never been one to live for money just for LIFE and FUN.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-has-everyone-been-remakes-what and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.