10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ManiacMama
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Where do you rank Stern as a manufacturer today?”

• First 11 votes
      44%
    • Second 8 votes
      32%
    • Third 5 votes
      20%
    • Who cares cause Gary wears funny looking glasses 1 vote
      4%

(25 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

Few years ago STERN was the "Only manufacturer of pinball in the world" and now today we have over a half dozen (I really don't know how many there are but I am certain someone will advise) manufacturers. How would you rank Stern today? After playing WoZ and seeing the early drawings of The Hobbit I feel Jack is making a better quality machine with more "toys", getting more for your money, then Stern. It's too early to tell about Planetary Pinball and a few others like Heighway and Skit B.

Also, started to think about the number of manufactures out there. How long can this last?? I mean selling machines for 6-9k per machine ??? Even if a manufacture produces one machine a year at 7k can the pinball community afford to be purchasing 3, 4 or 5 machines a year? Will we see Stern and JJP being the only real manufacturers producing a machine every year and the others maybe every 3 or so years? Will PPS start reproducing more of the classics?

Grab a beer, some popcorn and STAY TUNED AS it ought to get interesting!!!!

Speaking of beer, how much longer can the craft beer industry expand??? (wait that is another forum).

Cheers

#2 10 years ago

Let me sum up the thread to come:

Stern lovers: "Stern is still really the only pin manufacturer, JJP still hasn't finished delivering their first pin, and no one else has even come close"

Stern haters: "Stern doesn't produce pinball machines, they produce pieces of crap in a pinball shaped enclosure".

Everyone else: "Why do we need another thread about this?"

#3 10 years ago

Too early for this poll. Almost everything is hypothetical at this time.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Let me sum up the thread to come:
    Stern lovers: "Stern is still really the only pin manufacturer, JJP still hasn't finished delivering their first pin, and no one else has even come close"
    Stern haters: "Stern doesn't produce pinball machines, they produce pieces of crap in a pinball shaped enclosure".
    Everyone else: "Why do we need another thread about this?"

Valid point it probably is an asinine question. I'll go back to reading about why MMR LE is the greatest/dumbest thing to ever happen.

#5 10 years ago

Whether you rank Stern 1st, 2nd or 3rd is not as important as the fact that they are no longer the only game in town. Their past arrogance will no longer cut it.

I hope Gary learned a little something while watching all that money being thrown at PPS.

#6 10 years ago

How about Stern's claim of being "the only manufacturers of real pinball games" less than a year after releasing "the pin" and while JJP was building and delivering games?
    Their PR department has apparently been on vacation for about 18 months or so. If this is an example of how well they manage their advertising and product development I can now understand even more why I cancelled my STLE. They just don't seem to get the point of what it takes to be a competitive manufacturer because they have never had any competition until recently.
    It does not look good for them at this point in time. The pack of wolves is taking little bites out of them one piece at a time and they are not responding by taking control of their territory. Seems like they need a new alpha male.

#7 10 years ago

I would only be able to buy about 2 NIB a year if the prices stay the same. I will choose the 2 pins I LOVE! New
    games or remakes could care less who made them as long as I LOVE them. The company who makes the BEST games will get my money.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-does-stern-rank-among-manufactures-and-other-questions-today-on-pintv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.