(Topic ID: 234035)

Where does pinball sit in your living expenses / budget priorities?

By ausretrogamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by corvair61
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

I think a "big mistake" a lot of people make in life is assuming they need to spend a lot of money on certain items like food & clothing. If you work hard at it you really don't need to spend a lot of money on either of those items. Just eating a sandwich brought from home for lunch instead of going out for lunch every day can save you between $30 & $50 a week. Skipping buying a cup or two of coffee each day or a beverage out of a vending machine is another dollar or two a day.

My wife & I spend an average of less than $50 a week on food and we eat very well. We just don't "waste" a lot eating out and make cost saving meals at home. At first it kind of sucks but once you realize all the inexpensive healthy choices you can make when it comes to food you can save a good bit of money each week.

Clothing is the same way - you don't have to do without but a $8 pair of jeans will last just as long as a $50 pair of jeans. Just buy stuff on sale and watch for deals and you can save a boat load of money.

As far as fixed expenses:

Taxes come first because you don't have a choice when it comes to taxes
    Then comes Housing, Insurance & Health Care - again very little choice on those
    Pretty much everything else you can control and use cost saving measures if you want to give up a little to have some extra cash the end of each week.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Sex
    Pinball
    Sex
    Beer
    sex
    food
    sex
    shelter
    sex
    work

But if you do things right sex is free!

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I haven't used any earned income on pins in well over a decade. I built up the majority of my collection back when a TZ was 2k. My wife and I used to make mods and funded a couple games that way. Since then, as I've learned more and started to really enjoy working on games, I buy and sell them and use that slush fund for all of my pin purchases and maintenance. I keep cash at the house so I can jump on a deal anytime it comes up.
    That being said, I'm not really building the collection any further. We have a core 10 or 12 games , and we rotate the other 10 or 12 as we feel. If any emergency were to pop up, a game would go.

From my experience it seems like there are three basic type people in the hobby. The first group is the "more money than GOD" people who just buy what ever they want because money is nothing to them. The second group that works their asses off to save a few bucks then buys a machine when they can afford it. And the last group that buys their machines with money that has been made by doing something with pinball machines (flippers, people creating unique pinball products, people repairing machines to fund their collection,etc).

There might be a couple other categories but I think most people fall into one of the three above.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider too-many-pins.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-does-pinball-sit-in-your-living-expenses-budget-priorities-?tu=too-many-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.