(Topic ID: 234035)

Where does pinball sit in your living expenses / budget priorities?

By ausretrogamer

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by corvair61
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 months ago

The beautiful thing with pinball hobby is that you can buy used machines and resell them for virtually the same cost. If I drop $1k on new skis, they are worth $100 3 years later. A new Xbox or Playstation $500 and virtually $0 a few years later. So if you have discretionary income, you can leave in the bank collecting a paltry interest, or buy a machine (or a few). A few years later if you sell for the same cost, a small loss, or even a profit, you have enjoyed the machines much more than the interest you would have earned, and maybe made a few bucks. I always try to repair / upgrade the machine, so the next owner is getting the machine in better condition than I received it. Now this same model does not necessarily work for new machines or used machines from a dealer.

#52 10 months ago

I'm new to the hobby, but really starting to get the bug. However, I spend at least $5,000 per year on family travel and sometimes closer to $10,000. I can't think of a significant trip with my family that I would cancel so that I could own a pinball machine. I really like it so far, but not something that I would divert funds from almost anything else to buy more machines. I have one now and I am a bit obsessed with making it the best it can be without going nuts and putting $5,000 rims on a 2005 Ford Focus.

My kids are now 13 and 15, so ask me again in five years when they are out of the house and I may have a different answer. Of course I might not have a house by then...

#53 10 months ago
    Quoted from newbieinKC:

I can't think of a significant trip with my family that I would cancel so that I could own a pinball machine. I really like it so far, but not something that I would divert funds from almost anything else to buy more machines.

Give it time.

You'll get to the point you'll buy one while ON Vacation. That's what I did with Johnny Mnemonic. Was literally walking around in Universal Studios, saw one, and bought it on my phone at full asking price. Transferred the funds right there, and went on to enjoy another 8 hours at the park.

I love the future.

#54 10 months ago
    Quoted from fattdirk:

Sex
    Pinball
    Sex
    Beer
    sex
    food
    sex
    shelter
    sex
    work

You’ve got two kids... you def got the sex part figured out. Lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 4,199.00
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 21.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 157.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside