(Topic ID: 24847)

Where does one find a specific PIA chip?

By Blackbeard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by johnwartjr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Somewhat thinking I may have an issue with the pia chip at IC5 on my Flash driver board... although i'm not positive yet.

If I was to repair this, where would I find this chip?

#2 11 years ago

marco currently only one has them in stock. Search for 6821

#3 11 years ago

I bought several 6821PIA's from Mouser Electronics about a year ago. Maybe they still have em'. They will be considerably cheaper than Marco.

#4 11 years ago

Do they have to be made specific for the game you have?

I guess what i'm asking is doesn't your specific game's info have to be burned onto the chip too?

#5 11 years ago

A 6821 PIA (or a 6820) are the same part across plenty of pins and other devices. No game-specific or proprietary code on them.

I get mine from Todd @ Big Daddy
    http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com

#6 11 years ago

Thanks John. That's good to know.

I'd like to fix my boards myself IF this is the issue. I"m still diagnosing though.

#7 11 years ago

If you do decide to replace the chip be sure to add a socket. I use machine pin sockets, it is only a few extra dollars and really is considered the correct way to make an IC repair.

#8 11 years ago

On something like a PIA, while machine pin sockets will work nicely, I like to use the socket strips. They have machined pins, but lack the 'internal framework' of a socket, so you can solder the leads of the socket to both the top and the bottom traces of the board. That's especially important when you're learning, but even applies to a seasoned technician - the traces on these boards are kinda fragile. Don't let that discourage you - just be careful and double check your work!

#9 11 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=44

Scroll toward the bottom of the page. The strips that John is referencing are out of stock at GPE but you will get the idea and can go find them at another vendor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-does-one-find-a-specific-pia-chip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.