(Topic ID: 188453)

Where do you store your game room keys?!

By Vino

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chuckwurt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6101 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170701_104729 (resized).jpg
IMG_0425 (resized).JPG
IMG_20170628_181702 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170628_181656 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170628_181709 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170628_181715 (resized).jpg
IMG_3115 (resized).JPG
IMG_0454 (resized).JPG
IMG_0453 (resized).JPG
IMAG1481 (resized).jpg
20170628_093824.jpg
20170628_093847.jpg
2017-06-22 15.43.12 (resized).jpg
2017-04-25 16.21.39 (resized).jpg
ae235 (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Seems simple enough. A wall hook, behind a door, or just in a drawer?
Any attractive/creative game room solutions out there to share?
I feel like a security guard as they multiply like Gremlins!!

IMG_1229 (resized).JPGIMG_1229 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Coin door keys are left in the coin door. Backbox keys are left inside coin door.

#3 6 years ago

i used to put them inside the coin return but lately they have just been hanging from the locks

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Coin door keys are left in the coin door. Backbox keys are left inside coin door.

+1

All of my games have their keys with their corresponding key fob, in the coin door at all times.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

This. Would be a PIA to figure which go to what..

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

This. Would be a PIA to figure which go to what..

That's either sarcasm or I'm miss understood

#7 6 years ago

3M command hook on the back side of the cabinet on each game. I know where they are and they won't get snapped off if they were left in the lock.

#8 6 years ago

all my games have the same lock
one key rules them all

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

That's either sarcasm or I'm miss understood

I believe TK meant above picture would be a pain in the ass and that "this" being the coin door key in coin door is what they do.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

3M command hook on the back side of the cabinet on each game. I know where they are and they won't get snapped off if they were left in the lock.

That's a good idea, little ones are often about and I can see that happening!

#11 6 years ago

In your laundry room.
However this is not really working out.

#12 6 years ago

I keep 'em in a wooden box on a shelf near the games. I don't like to have them in the coin door because I'm afraid I'll bend one with my leg. And if the key is a bit further away I'm more motivated to go for a replay. My box of coins is easier to get to than the keys. The laundry area is in the next room.

#13 6 years ago

I've thought about getting combination locks. Anyone tried that? Marco is always sold out but I've seen them on Amazon.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

all my games have the same lock
one key rules them all

Same for me. Life is much easier. 1 key in my back pocket.

#15 6 years ago

All keys inside the games. I switched to thumb locks long ago

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

All keys inside the games. I switched to thumb locks long ago

Yep , keys & locks are in the coinbox on all my games

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 6 years ago

Keys always left in the coin door lock for both that lock and the backbox. A second set of both keys is kept in my workshop for all the games incase the other keys come up missing. Two totally separate sets for the same game. I always think leaving the backbox key locked inside the game is silly but that's just me.

John

#18 6 years ago

All machines keyed the same. Keys kept in liquor cabinet. Years ago I had keys taped to the top of my arcade machine and one of the kids friends took them. Lesson learned.

#19 6 years ago

One little screw hook in the back box and all is good.

1494183838665-204208353 (resized).jpg1494183838665-204208353 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

I buy keyed alike locks so all games use the same key. New game comes in it gets a new lock. Old lock is kept if the game ever gets sold. One key hangs on a hook in the gameroom. Backbox keys hang on a hook behind the respective game's coin door.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

I put my hooks on the back side of the front left leg.

IMG_20170507_153422319 (resized).jpgIMG_20170507_153422319 (resized).jpg

#22 6 years ago

I have all mine on a key ring and have memorized which keys go to which machines. ID/color/and double bitted or not help narrow it down.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Never felt comfortable doing this. With guests over, I'd hate to have somebody getting hurt by opening the door or even worse... pocketing a key. (Little guests, obviously) With all machines from like the 60's to the 2010's having the power switch right there, it is a "real" threat.

#23 6 years ago

I have mine sitting in a trophy

IMG_0341 (resized).JPGIMG_0341 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

Unfinished basement, keys are hung on a nail in the joist above each game.

1 month later
#25 6 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

I put my hooks on the back side of the front left leg.

I do the exact same thing, easy to get to, but hidden from the hobbits in the house...

#26 6 years ago

I keep my keys hidden in a sock under the bedroom mattress. I then use those to access my secret stash of money I have hidden inside the back box.

#27 6 years ago

I use the ring from the key set and place on the leg bolt below.

#28 6 years ago

I use a small inexpensive key rack that I picked up on Amazon to store my pinball machine keys. I installed the key rack in a closet in my game room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J8C8L6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00

Gord

P1000539 (resized).JPGP1000539 (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago

In my tool box right behind my games.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I leave the backbox keys inside the coin door, but I quit leaving the coin door keys in the lock. Nothing worse than having an epic game going and having coils disabled because you hit the lock with your knee and the door opened......instant drain.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

I use a small inexpensive key rack that I picked up on Amazon to store my pinball machine keys. I installed the key rack in a closet in my game room.
amazon.com link »
Gord

Gord, you have 14 keys on your key rack, and 12 games listed in your collection. I see you used to have TZ in your collection and a key for it (presumably picture taken before you sold). Which other key no longer belongs?

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I leave the backbox keys inside the coin door, but I quit leaving the coin door keys in the lock. Nothing worse than having an epic game going and having coils disabled because you hit the lock with your knee and the door opened......instant drain.

Bend the tab of the lock a little bit so that it still stays shut.

John

#33 6 years ago

Keeping with the theme of my arcade, I got an old wooden ammunition crate and made it into my key case.

20160123_111125 (resized).jpg20160123_111125 (resized).jpg

20160123_111145 (resized).jpg20160123_111145 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

Right at the bottom of the basment stairs. In a locked box. The combination is 3-44-21. Also, the combination to disable my house alarm is 4-65-8. Have fun!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Right at the bottom of the basment stairs. In a locked box. The combination is 3-44-21. Also, the combination to disable my house alarm is 4-65-8. Have fun!

Combination, we don't need no stinking combination. A address would be good though.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Bend the tab of the lock a little bit so that it still stays shut.
John

I've done that, and I've still opened the door, or worse yet, broken the key off in the lock.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Combination, we don't need no stinking combination. A address would be good though.

63 We have A Doberman On Alert Road.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from mittens:

Gord, you have 14 keys on your key rack, and 12 games listed in your collection. I see you used to have TZ in your collection and a key for it (presumably picture taken before you sold). Which other key no longer belongs?

Hi Mittens,

Slot 1 (AFM keychain) are the keys for my Super Chexx bubble hockey game and slot 2 (SS keychain) contains keys for my candy machines and vintage Pepsi Slider machine.

I still have my TZ as it was my first pinball machine. The only machine ever to leave my collection was a TAF. Good catch though.

Gord

#39 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#40 6 years ago

I used to be a Letter Carrier for the USPS. Temp. Regular on vacation stand-in. They would give you a morass of keys like those pictured, and send you on your way with a good luck! Oh yeah, we allotted to you the same exact amount of time the regular guy takes to do the route.

#41 6 years ago

NIB games I just leave the keys in the lock.

Any keeper/old games I remove the lock and bend the door a bit so it stays closed.

Having keys with the matching fob was cute for a couple months when I was a newb.

#42 6 years ago

I keep both of my sets of keys in a mug near the games. Out of sight, but easy to get to if I need them.

Anybody have a preference of the type of key they use? My TAF has a barrel style lock and key and feels WAY more solid and well built than the normal key for my TZ. That thing feels like it's going to break at any moment; hard to insert, hard to turn, etc.

#43 6 years ago

I have magnetic key boxes on each game with the games keys in the boxes. That way they're available if needed but not TOO accessible either. I don't like to have the keys in the coin doors 1 because little fingers are attracted to them and they could end up missing this is also the reason I don't care for the thumb lock ones...makes it too easy for curious kiddos (or anyone else that doesn't need to be messing around inside my games) to open coin doors and get into them...there are too many electrical hook ups and the speaker and transformer are not that far from the coin door, kiddos could get a good shock then we would have mad parents blaming us for their kids getting hurt. and 2 They tend to hurt if you are playing and bump knees into them, not to mention that they can get broken off in the lock and 3 I take my games to shows also why I don't do thumb locks...I'm not swapping for a real lock everytime I take my game to a show so they get put in the storage box so if we need them we got them but they're not in the coin door for everyone at the show to help themselves!

Phoebe

#44 6 years ago

I keep them in a big box full of spare parts below my machines haha, always in reach

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Yep , keys & locks are in the coinbox on all my games

I'm kinda leaning towards "thumb locks". Thanks Moto, like the idea

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#46 6 years ago

Keyed alike is the way to go. I don't want some giant janitor-style keyring or a huge wall of key hooks like an off-the-beaten-path motel. You don't have to fumble for the right set of keys if they all match :p

#47 6 years ago

I have all my pinball/arcade machines keys on key-chains. They are cheap plastic ones that have a color printed photo of the pinball backglass on it. I have them all hooked on a board that has Asteroids Deluxe side art on it (I removed the art off of an Asteroids Deluxe cabinet and replaced it with new Phoenix Arcade side art) I used the old Asteroids Deluxe art to cover a piece of hardboard for holding all my keys. The board looks great and I can find all my keys quickly. The board is placed behind my bar for easy access.
And of course, I have one "Master" key that fits all of my machines.

keys (resized).jpgkeys (resized).jpg

#48 6 years ago

Keyless locks (thumb locks as pictured above) are the way to go in the home environment. There is no need to have locks. No worries about losing keys.

#49 6 years ago

Mine all have the same lock, for $3 each, I am not sure why anyone would try to keep track. I switch back to the originals when I sell the game. Keep on set of keys on the gumball machine and one key on my car keys

#50 6 years ago

mine are all hanging from the coin door lock, and the backbox keys are hanging inside the coin door. it's not like there's money inside, and anyone playing them is already my friend or relative. what would be the point of securing them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-store-your-game-room-keys?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.