View topic image gallery

CCFDC636-1960-485A-B7A2-3434B77C0122 (resized).jpeg
72371952_397637904501343_1053292582760611840_n (resized).jpg
72169055_405664730317290_8576439160510873600_n (resized).jpg
72847744_532172107531878_5806115109184995328_n (resized).jpg
20191010_162710_resized (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I FOUND A SIMPSONS PIN!

Now that I'm crossing over to the dark side (buying my second pin) this whole transport thing is kinda messing with me.

I am driving down to NH on November 2nd to pick this puppy up in a 2015 Dodge Ram. The bed will hold it no problem, but I keep reading up about how people say don't do this, do that, take backbox off, NO! Leave it on, put a tarp over it, but watch the tarp, cover it, don't cover it... my head is gunna pop like a balloon!!!

Anyways, can someone please just summarize all the chatter into what I need to do? (from start to finish please!!!)

*CONCERN* The bed is about 3 1/2 -4 feet off the ground, how in the hell do you get it into the truck (I have 2 friends who are coming with me to help, against their will lol)

#2 4 years ago

Shrink wrap like mad, use 2 pvc pipes to keep it off the bed (for rain or snow) , ratchet strap in place two different ways. Smile nicely at the boarder check.

#3 4 years ago

First, to get the machine in the bed, just get it close to the tailgate, about a couple feet away and lean it onto the tailgate. Then lift from the bottom of the machine and push into the bed. I find it easier to put a piece of cardboard underneath to slide. Having a helper will make it easier, but I've done it alone plenty of times.

You only need a tarp if you expect rain. The only reason I have taken the head off is because I have a bed cover, and taking the head off allows me to use the cover (with head on, it's too tall).

If you do expect rain, I would recommend wrapping the pin with shrink wrap AND use a tarp, but that's just me. If you use a tarp, get a good thick one.

#4 4 years ago

Fold the back box down. Put an old towel between it and the cabinet base. Take the legs off. Shrink wrap or a ratchet strap to hold it together. You can stand the game on it's back (end) next to the truck, lean the top against the tailgate. Lift from the bottom and slide it in.

#5 4 years ago

Oh yeah, good point by chad above to put the game on 2x4 kickers or PVC to keep it off the bed in case you get rain.

I also use ratcheting straps. Forgot to mention that.

I did all of this (shrink wrap, tarp, kickers, etc.) driving back 2 hours in the snow from MGC a couple years ago. No issues. Fortunately my wife has an SUV now that fits a pin for covered transport!

#6 4 years ago

Coming across the border you might need a bill of sale for taxes.

#7 4 years ago

Wrap machine in moving blankets. They can be purchased cheaply at U=Haul. Hold blankets in place by plastic wrapping the machine. Plastic wrap roll can also be purchased at U-Haul. Bring plenty of help.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Oh yeah, good point by chad above to put the game on 2x4 kickers or PVC to keep it off the bed in case you get rain.

Someone mentioned pool noodles which is my go to now. Not only will the machine roll on them into the bed (and be raised up in case of rain) but cushions the machine as well while in transport.

#9 4 years ago

Since it has a hinged backbox there's no need to remove, just fold down.

I wrap my games in a large top while they're folded on end, before loading, if there's any chance of rain.

Bring a 2x4, stick it between the front of the game and the front of your bed to keep the game from hitting the front, then run a strap around the back of the game and pull it forward against the 2x4.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Someone mentioned pool noodles which is my go to now. Not only will the machine roll on them into the bed (and be raised up in case of rain) but cushions the machine as well while in transport.

Damn brilliant!!! They will also be invaluable when sliding into bed (prevents scratching the bottom of cabinet) why didn't I think of that. Will go get a monster tarp, thanks for the great info guys!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

Damn brilliant!!! They will also be invaluable when sliding into bed (prevents scratching the bottom of cabinet) why didn't I think of that. Will go get a monster tarp, thanks for the great info guys!

I’ve not yet tried this, but it sounds perfect.

Using PVC has been my usual approach - I have an 09 Mercury Mariner/Ford Escape that fits games quite comfortably. We use the PVC as wheels to roll the game onto, and if you use 2” or greater diameter pipe it is tall and strong enough to support the game off the bed for long distances.

The pool noodles seems like an even better approach since it will also cushion the bottom.

Use a tarp in ADDITION to shrink wrap. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had the threat of rain and a relatively unprotected game.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

I keep four in the truck.

20191010_162710_resized (resized).jpg20191010_162710_resized (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I keep four in the truck.[quoted image]

So they hold up enough to roll the game on them into the bed, like you can with PVC?

#14 4 years ago

Straight genius. I'm gunna grab 5 and also use them when lifting into truck. Will also get a piece of wood to prevent it hitting the front, then strap it like crazy. It's gunna be going into my house same day so fingers crossed it's a snow free and rain free day as I'd reaaaaaaally like to avoid shrink wrapping (the steps are starting to pile up a bit for a rookie!)

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

Will also get a piece of wood to prevent it hitting the front, then strap it like crazy.

That is what I use the last noodle for.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

That is what I use the last noodle for.

Last thing I feel anyone wants to do is crank the cabinet off the corner of the tailgate, yet alone me being a young newbie lol.

#17 4 years ago

Bouncing around is your biggest problem , I brought a getaway with no issues came home and it had at least 8 errors
Just keep it dry and hope for the best

#18 4 years ago

That's using your noodle!

#19 4 years ago

In addition to the 5 pool noodles on the bed floor, buy one more for when you put the head down...place in on the play field glass so it doesn't dent up the side rails. It's actually better if you cut it in half-long wise- so the noodle will grip the top of the head. In a pich, you can substitute pipe insulators for noodles...they cut easier, too.

#20 4 years ago

People mention shrink wrap and plastic wrap. What you want is Stretch Wrap. Home Depot sells it with their moving boxes and stuff. Sam's Club occasionally has it for cheaper, but I have not seen it recently. I use it with every pinball transport. before you take the legs off, lay the head down and then wrap the machine multiple times side to side, stretching the wrap as you go after the first go around. This holds the head in place and provides some protection. I agree with putting a blanket or cardboard between the head and side rails. I use hardened cardboard corner strips that come in a lot of packaging of furniture and new pins. I tape them in place to the playfield glass with a bit of masking tape. You just need it where the backbox hits the siderails.
If the game is being transported in the open in a pickup or trailer, I also wrap the machine front to back with the stretch wrap. Most of mine are transported in my wife's minivan which is great for transport. Enclosed and lower to the ground than pickup trucks.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

People mention shrink wrap and plastic wrap. What you want is Stretch Wrap. Home Depot sells it with their moving boxes and stuff. Sam's Club occasionally has it for cheaper, but I have not seen it recently. I use it with every pinball transport. before you take the legs off, lay the head down and then wrap the machine multiple times side to side, stretching the wrap as you go after the first go around. This holds the head in place and provides some protection. I agree with putting a blanket or cardboard between the head and side rails. I use hardened cardboard corner strips that come in a lot of packaging of furniture and new pins. I tape them in place to the playfield glass with a bit of masking tape. You just need it where the backbox hits the siderails.
If the game is being transported in the open in a pickup or trailer, I also wrap the machine front to back with the stretch wrap. Most of mine are transported in my wife's minivan which is great for transport. Enclosed and lower to the ground than pickup trucks.

U-Haul and storage unit places also have the green stretch wrap frequently. It's not super cheap (I've also ordered from Amazon for $20 or so) but it lasts a while

#22 4 years ago

Again you guys have provided the best advice.I bought 5 GIANT pool noodles, a carpet to protect bottom of cabinet, and am hunting a thick tarp in case it rains. This thing is gunna spend about 6 hours outdoors, and will be moved into it's home same day (leaving Kingston at midnight, plan to be back at dinner) so the shrink wrap seems abit much for the journey (but I understand the reason behind it)

Here's the baby i'm picking up, it's gunna need work but price is right for my favourite pin...

Next up, where's the pinball addiction rehab centre?!

72169055_405664730317290_8576439160510873600_n (resized).jpg72169055_405664730317290_8576439160510873600_n (resized).jpg72371952_397637904501343_1053292582760611840_n (resized).jpg72371952_397637904501343_1053292582760611840_n (resized).jpg72847744_532172107531878_5806115109184995328_n (resized).jpg72847744_532172107531878_5806115109184995328_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#23 4 years ago

I have another question for the experts. GMC Sierra, will it fit (assume it's the 5.8' bed)?

#24 4 years ago

yep, no problem.

#25 4 years ago

Ladies and gentlemen... ITS OFFICIAL!!!

CCFDC636-1960-485A-B7A2-3434B77C0122 (resized).jpegCCFDC636-1960-485A-B7A2-3434B77C0122 (resized).jpeg
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from icanswim70:

I have another question for the experts. Will it fit in a GMC Sierra?

Quoted from icanswim70:

Ladies and gentlemen... ITS OFFICIAL!

I see it fit, but that's the goofiest looking GMC Sierra I've ever seen.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I see it fit, but that's the goofiest looking GMC Sierra I've ever seen.

New model

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.