Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have been looking to buy my first pin.

I have checked CL, Ebay, and pinballowners.com and posted threads and wanted ads here at Pinside. I have received a few responses here from some very nice people, but they are farther than I would like for driving/shipping.

Is there anywhere else I can look besides these places?

Thanks in advance!

Prkchp

#2 11 years ago

garage sales
    estates sales
    coin op auctions (sometimes)
    friends that have pins that are looking to move out one that doesn't get played as much

#3 11 years ago

Find some in the wild then see who is operating them. Sometimes they have pins for sale or know of other operators or former operators who may have some.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

I have been looking to buy my first pin.
    I have checked CL, Ebay, and pinballowners.com and posted threads and wanted ads here at Pinside. I have received a few responses here from some very nice people, but they are farther than I would like for driving/shipping.
    Is there anywhere else I can look besides these places?
    Thanks in advance!
    Prkchp

That would infringe on my insider trade secrets.

#5 11 years ago

No friends that have pins. Need to get pins to get them into the hobby !!

Checked a few estate sale sites with no luck before. I might have to bust out the newspaper!

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

That would infringe on my insider trade secrets.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Feed me for a lifetime!

#7 11 years ago

I often check CL and Pinside.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I often check CL and Pinside.

I imagine CL is much better in say NY, CA, Chicago, FL. More populated areas etc. I have looked at Cleveland and Pburgh CL for the last month or so. Seems to be the same posts. I guess I just need to be more patient/diligent. Just have the first pin fever!

#9 11 years ago

I guess I just need to be more patient/diligent.

Agreed, something you'll want will show up on CL. Too bad there's only a HUO WPT listed on my local CL and for a good price.

#10 11 years ago

Be willing to travel for the right machine, research to know what you are buying (condition and functionality), have money on hand, and patience.

Best of luck! I've made a few sales on here and I've seen plenty of deals made here as well.
    </.02>

#11 11 years ago

Willing to travel a decent distance, but not to some of the extremes people here have. Wife is pregnant, working nights and we have a 22 month old. Not exactly the sitauation where I can up and leave for a 10, 14,18 hr there and back for a pin.

Maybe I need to broaden my wanted pins? Really need something the wife will play. I want to get her into this! She did spend two days at PAPA with me, so that is something! She only liked the DMD's so the early solid states and EM's are out... for now.

She did like Red and Ted's... mostly because she beat me. Not sure how available that pin is or it's price range. She also likes CV and TOM, but with a Predator and baby #2 on the way, those are a bit out of my price range. She was a big WOF fan, but I don't know how crazy I am about that being our only pin.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Too bad there's only a HUO WPT listed on my local CL and for a good price.

Why aren't you jumping on that? You have been saying you wanted a second pin for months now.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Why aren't you jumping on that?

sandiego.craigslist.org link

Never played WPT before, and I'd hate to back out of a deal just because I didn't like a pin for sale.

#14 11 years ago

PCSW:

One thing I do when I know the title I want is go to the Collector's Registry on mrpinball.com and search my state and close surrounding ones for owners of the title I want to buy. Many will list as interested in buying, selling or trading games. I cold call such owners to see whether they are interested in selling.

This is the unadvertised market.

Dan

#15 11 years ago

Search the Harrisburg Pa CL for 'pin ball' theres a T2 on there that looks pretty nice although id ask for detail pics of the playfield because he told me theres touch ups and a home clear job. You might get it for $1000 or if youre like me just pass haha

#16 11 years ago

$1000 bones for a T2 is pretty sweet.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Never played WPT before, and I'd hate to back out of a deal just because I didn't like a pin for sale.

Go play it! I think almost everyone says its under-rated. Its Steve Richie, its got an upper playfield, and is a pretty unique game. Give it a shot.

#18 11 years ago

Make lots of local pin-buddies.
    There are plenty of pinsiders in Ohio. Find out who they are and introduce yourself. See if there is a league or something that you can join.
    It's not a short term strategy, but making new friends that are already in the hobby will open a lot of doors towards building your lineup.

#19 11 years ago

Willing to travel a decent distance, but not to some of the extremes people here have. Wife is pregnant, working nights and we have a 22 month old. Not exactly the sitauation where I can up and leave for a 10, 14,18 hr there and back for a pin.
    Maybe I need to broaden my wanted pins? Really need something the wife will play. I want to get her into this! She did spend two days at PAPA with me, so that is something! She only liked the DMD's so the early solid states and EM's are out... for now.
    She did like Red and Ted's... mostly because she beat me. Not sure how available that pin is or it's price range. She also likes CV and TOM, but with a Predator and baby #2 on the way, those are a bit out of my price range. She was a big WOF fan, but I don't know how crazy I am about that being our only pin.

Yes, get the wife interested. Very important at this stage in the game. If she's included and excited your pin collecting days will go much smoother. Estate sales.org/.net, allofcraigs.com, Mr pinball, pin forums. CL is something that needs to be checked often. I mean very often. When I have cash burning a pinball sized hole in my pocket I search cl every 15 min or so. Good deals are gone in minutes so if you check every hour a deal can come and go with out you ever knowing it was there. Do you have a smart phone? If so get the cl pro app. Get the good app that you have to buy. The notification is junk. It will let you know when its to late. But the ease of saved searches in multiple areas is worth every penny.

#20 11 years ago

Yes sadly TOM and CV tend to be very expensive but Red and Ted or Roadshow as it's often called is a fun game and still can be found usually for not too expensive. But it is a wide bodied game, which I mentioned just in case you have limited space.

#21 11 years ago

If you can't find anything by the end of February, you can usually find some deals at the Ohio Pinball show in Cuyahoga Falls.

#22 11 years ago

No joke. ShopGoodwill.com Occasionally you will see a pin (also arcades and vending machines) here.
    The Goodwill in Santa Ana California had n Eight-ball back in march. It had a perfect backglass, and only slightly worn play-feild. Wasn't working, but appeared to be complete It went for $250.00.
    I would have bought it myself if I had had room for it at the time.
    A few months later they had a Stern Trident, but it wasn't in as good of shape. I've also seen other pins listed online. I also bought a new Coffee Inns changer there, and a buddy of mine got two Video games for $28.00 (a working merit Pit Boss kit in a Stern Tutankhamun cabinet, and a Stern Amidar).
    A while back there was a SS Mata Hari in Indiana. From the pictures it looked almost new.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from poopdotcom:

If you can't find anything by the end of February, you can usually find some deals at the Ohio Pinball show in Cuyahoga Falls.

I noticed from their site that it is vendors selling. Is there anyone in particular that is recommended in OH or someone to stay away from. I looked at various vendor websites from OH, either really overpriced or site hasn't been updated in forever (Lists having the newest games! TZ TAF or their event list talks about PAPA 6 !!)

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Yes sadly TOM and CV tend to be very expensive but Red and Ted or roadshow as it's often called is a fun game and still can be found usually for not too expensive. But it is a wide bodied game, which I mentioned just in case you have limited space.

Just a note - if you look solely at the backbox dimensions, the B/W widebodies take up the exact same space as a standard machine. I say that because when I personally look at space, I just look at how much wall area is used.

#25 11 years ago

I noticed from their site that it is vendors selling. Is there anyone in particular that is recommended in OH or someone to stay away from. I looked at various vendor websites from OH, either really overpriced or site hasn't been updated in forever (Lists having the newest games! TZ TAF or their event list talks about PAPA 6 !!)

There are vendors that sell all kinds of pinball related stuff including games, but people bring their own pins for others to play. Some of those pins are for sale and some are not, but a lot of them are for sale from private owners.

#26 11 years ago

These days I let the games come to me (and the Iowa Pinball Club Members too). I've set up multiple ways for the public to sell to all of us at the Iowa Pinball Club.

From the sell us your pinball machine to sell us your jukebox and even sell us your coin-op video arcade game. We are also looking for others games too. But who isn't!

Some times we get no games submitted to the site for weeks. Then there is a flood of them. It all depends.

-Aaron
    Full list of amusement devices and arcade games wanted by the Iowa Pinball Club members.

#27 11 years ago

My WTB add from CL was flagged for removal... All it said was that I was interested in buying a player condition machine of any of the following listed the machines...

I got at least one resp and local! Hopefully I'll have some luck!

#28 11 years ago

that happens all the time. other people that have the same ads as you will flag them so you don't get the calls. childish, but that is the reality of the "scum" of craigslist. these are also the same people that will see a great deal, flag it, then call the lister and offer them less, then flip it and put it back up for twice what they paid for it.

i watch craigslist, but rarely get anything but a laugh out of it.

#29 11 years ago

Develop your network of pin friends!

Lots of my best pin acquisitions have been from getting to know people in the hobby and developing friendships with them. You get first shot at their pins (and they get first shot at yours) when it comes time to sell, so the pin never even gets listed for sale.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

One thing I do when I know the title I want is go to the Collector's Registry on mrpinball.com and search my state and close surrounding ones for owners of the title I want to buy.

Besides the CL and pinside listings, if I'm looking for a particular title I will go over to http://www.pinballowners.com/ to see who has the desired machine available for sale.

#31 11 years ago

Friends, operators, retailers (yeah I know), and mr. pinball.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from poopdotcom:

There are vendors that sell all kinds of pinball related stuff including games, but people bring their own pins for others to play. Some of those pins are for sale and some are not, but a lot of them are for sale from private owners.

Big message to the OP - if you're going to get one at the Ohio Pinball Show - I have spoken to a decent number of people that have gone to that show. Be there EARLY if you want a good machine at a fair price. People go there extra early JUST for that purpose and then head home. Just want to clue you in if you're going to go that avenue - don't be there as the doors open - be there BEFORE the doors open.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-look-for-pins-4-sale and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.