(Topic ID: 82615)

Where do you keep all your pinball keys?

By Buckman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mojosan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Atari Keyholder.jpg
    key box.jpg
    003.JPG
    001.JPG
    Pin-Keys.JPG
    williams key holder.jpg
    Startgate Keychain.JPG
    TZ Keychain.JPG
    WPT Keychain.JPG
    I500 Keychain.JPG
    ACDC Keychain.JPG
    Tommy Keychain.JPG
    Tron Keychain.JPG
    142.JPG
    6174322500_f8d94cc611_z.jpg
    image-520.jpg
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Just recently picked up a new machine and hammered up two more nails for the keys to it and wondered what other Pinsiders do with their keys. For me I've got them all lined up and the keys on the right are for the backboxes and the left are for the coin doors, makes it nice and easy if I ever need a key. Also put all my keys on the plastic key fobs.

Are you as anal as me with how you keep track of your keys? Do you just throw them all in a bowl, just leave them in the machine, put them on the plastic fobs, have a cool thing you've built to hold all your keys or do you have one giant key ring that's the ring to rule them all?

IMG_3358.JPGIMG_3358.JPG

#2 10 years ago

I use these.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #3 10 years ago

I just leave them stuck in the coin door in the locked position - every one of them has a larger key ring attached (game-specific, where available).

When I visited the now-defunct National Pinball Museum in Baltimore in October 2012, I picked up a few souvenir keyrings and those are in use for the games that have no game-specific fobs available.

#4 10 years ago

Not in plane site but I have trust issues. In case of a break in I want them to get plenty of camera time while Fing with the locks. Unless of course they make the mistake of stealing from me when I am home.

#5 10 years ago

Hanging from the lock

#6 10 years ago

All coindoor locks are keyed to the one key

Same key opens all my games
    Never have to hunt for the right key

#7 10 years ago

in the door

#8 10 years ago

I have all my keys on one keyring. Yes, I often look just like that service guy at the arcade fiddling through all the keys to find the right one

#9 10 years ago

Not my idea, but read it here on the forums.

I use the 3M Command strips that have the small hooks attached. I mount them behind the right front leg. Not visible. Easily accessible. Reversible.

Totally awesome system. Very happy with it.

Link:
    http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NACommand/Command/Products/Catalog/~/Command-Small-Wire-Hooks?N=5924736+3294772789+3294529207&rt=rud

Post edited by moderator: added link

#10 10 years ago

I used to keep them in the locks and then we had some friends over and their young children wanted to play some pinball so I turned the games on. My son was in the mancave with them and turned all the games off when they left. The next morning, I went down there and realized that all of my keys were gone. They were no longer in the locks.

I panicked and then realized that they had taken them all out and put them in the pin-gulps that are attached to the legs. Now, if they had put them in the one that went with the game that would have been great but they didn't do that. Took me a few minutes to match them back up.

Now they hang in a lockable keyring box.

Many of my games have the same lock/key for the coin door but not all. That's probably the way to go that way you only need one key.

Dave

#11 10 years ago

I have all my games keyed with the same lock , so not a big deal if I lose one key . But I have one with a beer opener key chain that stays on the bar .

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

I just leave them stuck in the coin door in the locked position

This.

#13 10 years ago

I keep them on top of the backbox they belong to.

#14 10 years ago

Mine are in a drawer near the machines. My toddler loves to open them up...

I used to put them on top of the back box, but they fall off during game play.

#15 10 years ago

On top of the backbox.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

All coindoor locks are keyed to the one key
    Same key opens all my games
    Never have to hunt for the right key

I know this will sounds stupid but how did you do that? Can you change the tumbler settings or do you have to have a locksmith make you all new tumblers?

#17 10 years ago

my `ol lady keeps them safe for me...

bra-keys.jpgbra-keys.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Until I replace the lock with a keyless I put them in the coin return.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I know this will sounds stupid but how did you do that? Can you change the tumbler settings or do you have to have a locksmith make you all new tumblers?

Here you go bud KEYED ALIKE. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=20

#20 10 years ago

I suggest using this http://www.harborfreight.com/20-hook-key-box-45849.html#.UxPdeYXapd8 .for the money its amazing. Very professional looking . There is also a 48 key version for those with more machines.

#21 10 years ago

I have them all keyed alike I put the old lock and key in the pin so if I sell the game I change the lock out

yes do have a key with key fob on the inside of the door

#22 10 years ago

Here is what I made for my keys.

IMAG0353.jpgIMAG0353.jpg

#23 10 years ago

You can buy them keyed alike at PBR.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

I use these.

image.jpg 2 KB

Ditto......then put the Lockset w keys in coin box ...probably not the smartest, but pretty convenient .....

#25 10 years ago

Thanks. Ironically enough I've used those to replace a couple of my locks. I never read the full description to see they were keyed the same. Guess it helps to read. Thanks again

#26 10 years ago

Everyone that says they are hanging in the lock obviously does not have a small child in their home. Mine are on the inner wall of a shelf nearby the games hanging on those 3M adhesive hooks.

#28 10 years ago

my kids are grown up now

keys.jpgkeys.jpg

#29 10 years ago

I key all mine the same.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I got mine from PBR as I like that style lock
    But any decent locksmith should have them in stock

#31 10 years ago

Stuck right in the coin door in the event of a home break-in--to prevent the crow-baring of my machines, thereof.

#32 10 years ago

I use the handle ones like Z28 and the rest I keyed the same so.... No issues with keys here.

#33 10 years ago

Since most locks come with two keys, I separate the two keys to make two separate key chains. Each keychain has a coin door key and a backbox key. Then I insert one key into each lock. Hard to loose them that way.

#34 10 years ago

I have mine in the door, but I'm sometimes worried my son will break it off when he's playing. Oh well...

#35 10 years ago

My pinball key situation is a total cluster-F**K,
    with so many pins stored all over the place
    some keys are in the games,
    either the coin door or for the back door on EMs or BG head for SS games,
    or hanging inside the CAB/coin box area.
    I also have dozens and dozens of keys on various key rings or big zip lock bags or tins,
    most of them not marked as to what game they go to,
    so it will be a nightmare to find that correct key when i finally pull out various games from storage.
    But I know i have that dang key somewhere.

#36 10 years ago

I guess you get that with the 317 pins

#37 10 years ago

All mine are in the coin return of each game.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from PennSkier:

I just leave them stuck in the coin door in the locked position -

Did this until my son nearly split his forehead open on one.

Quoted from Rick432:

Not my idea, but read it here on the forums.
    I use the 3M Command strips that have the small hooks attached. I mount them behind the right front leg. Not visible. Easily accessible. Reversible.

Now this. Much less dangerous with toddling folk in the house. Not to mention he has "runnoft" with them a couple of times. That was fun...

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

I use these.

image.jpg 2 KB

Where do you get these?

#40 10 years ago

I put mine on a ring which hooks on the backboard snap down latch. Latch locks down and they don't go anywhere and are always handy if you need them!!

#41 10 years ago

I put mine on top of the back box of each game.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

My pinball key situation is a total cluster-F**K,
    with so many pins stored all over the place
    some keys are in the games,
    either the coin door or for the back door on EMs or BG head for SS games,
    or hanging inside the CAB/coin box area.
    I also have dozens and dozens of keys on various key rings or big zip lock bags or tins,
    most of them not marked as to what game they go to,
    so it will be a nightmare to find that correct key when i finally pull out various games from storage.
    But I know i have that dang key somewhere.

With 318 machines I'd say it would be pretty easy to misplace a machine or two, let alone some keys to them! I can see how things might go when you're looking for a set of keys "Now where on Earth did I put those keys for AFM...no better yet, where on Earth did I put that AFM?"

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

I use these.

image.jpg 2 KB

I use these when I am restoring a game and then replace it with a lock when the game is finished.

#45 10 years ago

I picked up 40 locks all keyed alike about 10 years ago. New game comes in and the lock gets changed. The old goes in a pile to use for parts, games that are sold or EM backbox locks if missing.

Only need 1 key to get into any game.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from z28dan:

I use these.

image.jpg 2 KB

Agreed. No coinbox to steal

#48 10 years ago

I used to have 50 locks keyed alike for my games. I have been buying and selling pins, bowlers,arcades and jukeboxes for the past 15 years or so. I would end up installing one here and there for customers or left one in because I didn't have a different lock to replace. only have 15 or so left.
    key in the locks worked for a while until body nudging by guests or bumping against them with their butt broke them off.
    I now prefer the handle, no real reason at my house to lock them.

#49 10 years ago

All my machines are keyed the same...why would you do it any other way? I have one key on my car keys, one key stashed in a spot in the gameroom, and one key in a safe.

#50 10 years ago

I used to leave them in the locks, but enough scraped knees later, I took them out and put them in a drawer. They're all marked with the name of the game, most of them are keyed alike anyway.

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-keep-all-your-pinball-keys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.