(Topic ID: 155025)

where do you draw the line (league related)

By SHOOTTHEPYRAMID

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Drlawl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

over_the_line_walter_lebowski_skiffleboom_(resized).jpg
5506151575_132af7e3fd_(resized).jpg
Wild_and_Crazy_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shootthepyramid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

the other night we had a player miss league night for a worthy reason and that player was allowed to make up the games they missed (which i think is fine as long as someone is playing with them and its still the same day) the tournament director offered to play the make up games with them. I was playing on the table next to them and as this player was about to plunge off and start rockin on ball three the TD stopped them and told them they should hard plunge. when the player asked why the TD told them "well because you only need one more k-i-s-s letter. you can hard plunge which will score you the k-i-s-s letter and score you the F in F-I-L-M. Then the ball save will give it back to you and you can soft plunge into the p-a-i-d lanes". Considering that this player is usually in the middle of the rankings (out of about 30 players) i found this behavior to be unfair to others who are ranked below them (and to a lesser degree everyone else in the league).

so my questions are: at what point is it no longer ok to coach along new players? how do you distinguish between a handicap and an unfair advantage? what would you have done in this situation? are higher ranked players less deserving of opportunities to bend the rules in their favor?

also, i think there should be a new sub forum in the playing section for league and tourney related topics (just tossin it out there).

thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from KGSoloman:

How is someone explaining the rules of the game an unfair advantage?.

there is a big difference between explaining the rules of the game to a player and making a player privy to a strategy they were unaware of. This player was lining up a soft plunge when the TD interrupted them to tell them to hard plunge and why.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you are gonna lose a league match because a player gets such basic advice, you probably aren't gonna do too well anyway. That "advice" might have cost you 5 million points on a good day. Find your own coach.

wow, alot of assumptions here.
first off, this did not cause me to lose the match (far from it).
second off, this isnt "basic advice" this is a strategy related to one particular table and its unique rules
third off, "you probably arent gonna do too well anyway" is incorrect. nothing about the scores was even mentioned in the original post, i perform very well on a consistent basis and this incident had no bearing on my overall standings. also is doing well the only reason one should play in a league? if you arent doing well should you care less about what happens during league? im confused as to how you could assume that this one incident is an indicator of overall performance???
fourth off, if you know so much about pinball you should know that the letters in film could be worth 8 million, be the last shot needed before multiball is ready, etc... whether this advice led to the only points the player scored or pushed them into the the grand champ spot is not the issue.
fifth off, get your own coach??? ummmm no thank you i am very pleased with my pinball abilities and do not need one. nice try though.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you get bent out of shape about this situation, you need to seriously reconsider your life priorities.

how can you assume im "bent out of shape" im not upset, thrilled, or even emotionally invested in this situation. it happened, i wanted to see what you guys thought. end of story. but hey, i guess it wouldnt be pinside without some assumed emotional roller coaster associated with every trivial thing.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

you have 10 posts and know of the social dynamics of pinside already?

pssssssssh acting as if a baby couldnt figure out the social dynamics of pinside within four seconds

law, the reason i didnt bring it up last night is because i genuinely dont care. you know i have no problem being vocal about everything so the fact that i didnt bring it up should show just how important this is to me. i thought it would be an interesting point of discussion online.i will now go hang myself with a belt because i am unable to stomach the atrocities committed against me personally during a pinball league.::sarcasm::

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 24.00
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 27.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shootthepyramid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-draw-the-line-league-related?tu=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.