(Topic ID: 155025)

where do you draw the line (league related)

By SHOOTTHEPYRAMID

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Drlawl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

over_the_line_walter_lebowski_skiffleboom_(resized).jpg
5506151575_132af7e3fd_(resized).jpg
Wild_and_Crazy_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 8 years ago

I really don't get why stuff like this is a no no. If that's the rule fine, but why does it have to be? I usually don't coach another player while they are playing because they didn't ask for the help. If they did, I'd help them assuming the rules allowed it. I have also been in tournaments before where I coached my opponent on a game and I ended up losing to that person on said game because of the information I gave them. Not a big deal. If the help wasn't asked for, I get it, but helping someone understand a game if they want the help, I don't care if it's mid ball, I don't see the issue with someone answering their question.

its like you're trying to keep pinball a secret so people don't get better than you.

Now if I'm in a close 7 game matchup with someone and they ask me for help, I might suddenly forget how to play, but I'm not gonna get all pissy if someone blurts out what shot they want to hit next.

If you ever get to the levels of tournaments where a rule like this would actually matter, it's still not needed as all those players literally know every game inside and out.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

On one hand you have the people that aren't very good, and they're never going to win anything, so they're "just playing for fun...aw shucks & tarnation!"
Then on the other hand you have champions with pride in what they do.

See I take lots of pride in my play and play a shotload each day to increase my knowledge of every game I play or expect to play. I am a very very competitive person, but I'm also an adult. The best thing above competitive pinball is there there is pretty much no financial reason to do it. It's almost completely for pride.

That being said, I respect the rules too. If that tournament calls for no coaching, fair enough. You won't hear a peep out of me. But if the rules say nothing, or it's not communicated before the tournament starts, and someone I'm playing says, "why is this whirlwind beeping at me after draining out of multiball?" I'm gonna say, "because you can restart it at the left scoop". Or I'll keep my mouth shut (especially if there's a sweet trophy on the line). Haha

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

How aboot, if you're playing a game of something that's very important numbers/ranking wise in your league...and right next to you johnny Heyseed, fresh off the apple cart from Indiana, Keeps pausing every 3 second to turn around and ask the gallery a bunch of questions? Or what aboot the old wise sage is yelling "Shoot the spinnnner then Shoot the basketttt(bad example) then jold the flipper and start MB?" Nothing...not bothered? What if you were doing kind of crappy, and your pride was really being beaten off (bad example) and people are yelling shit behind you when you're trying to lock that 3rd ball before you blow a 1 pointer all over your chest?

This sounds like the most hilarious tournament ever. Haha. I honestly don't care if someone's talking shit in my ear the whole time, doesn't bother me. Actually it happens in my league if you're plying certain people. Haha.

Like I said, I have full respect for the rules of the tournament I'm playing in. if the IFPA states on their website that there is to be no player talk during play, then I completely understand and agree with leagues for enforcing it that award IFPA points. I also think that they should be enforced within reason. I know that's a grey area, but I think the best bet is making sure everyone knows the rules of any competition before it begins.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

"PAPA and IFPA have worked together to create a unified set of rules that we recommend tournament directors use when dealing with malfunctions and other logistics regarding running a tournament (player errors, stuck balls, etc)."

Says right here that they are recommended. But what I think we can all agree on is that if the rules are clearly stated before any event, there should be no confusion on what is allowed and isn't allowed.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Reading this thread makes me remember why I don't participate in league anymore. When people get ultra competitive over a game like this it's such a turn off for me. People get so worked up to the point where they're just annoying to be around. That's not what pinball is about to me.

I honestly can just laugh at those people and probably if I was quick enough on the draw, take a video of them and posted on here (really want to start a thread of most hilarious tournament outbursts caught on camera)

You should check out the Cincinnati monthly tournament as its a very friendly atmosphere and most of the players never played competitive pinball before these started up. So if your in the area, don't shy away from it. Lots of group play and plenty of beer flowing.

#91 8 years ago

Fair enough Whysnow but as far as I know, there are only a few requirements to get IFPA points for a tournament, the rest is left up to the TD to make all rules clear. I would wonder why that big money league you spoke of doesn't just register their tournament with the IFPA too and have the best of both worlds.

If I said before the start of each of my tournaments very clearly, "we are laxed on player talk here, as long as you're not helping a player after they plunge the ball and before they drain excessively, it's fair game." I would be stunned if anyone had an issue with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 9.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chuckwurt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-you-draw-the-line-league-related?tu=chuckwurt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.