thumbnail_IMG_3064 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3062 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3057 (resized).jpg
score board credit window (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3046 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3047 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3050 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi guys. I just inherited my Grandpas 1956 gottlieb scoreboard. When I push the tilt it turns on but that's as far as it goes. Start button does nothing. Screen says player 1 and tilt. I know nothing about pinball machines but I have noticed some detached wires. Could someone tell (as if describing to a kid) where I should solder these wires and if it will fix the issue? There are two red/yellow coming from 4 and one black coming from 1A that are twisted together. I have no idea where to connect them. Also noticed that the coin slot has no wires connecting to it. Is this an issue? Thanks, and apologies for my lack of knowledge.

thumbnail_IMG_3050 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3050 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3046 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3046 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3047 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3047 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

OK - First things first.... Purchase a schematic from Pinball Resource in New York. That is going to be the only way you will be able to figure out what the wires are for and where they are supposed to go to. They are also a really good source for any other parts you may need, such as rubber rings, balls, etc.

I suspect the wires had something to do with setting the machine up to play without dropping coins, but again, without the schematic, who knows. Do you remember ever seeing it work or playing it when you were younger?

The basic is that the score reels all need to turn to show zero when starting. The other things that have to happen include resetting steppers (For stuff like bonus, ball counts, etc.), decrement the number of credits on the credit wheel, reset and targets, etc.

Get a multimeter and learn how to use it - lots of good info out there on how to use it. You will need this in your pinball journey.

Good luck, and keep everyone informed of your progress. One other thing, once you get this one going, you will find out they multiply and soon you will have several more.

#3 1 year ago

^This, and while waiting for the schematic, give the game a good cleaning. Vacuum out all the debris and dust, it will then be much nicer to work on the game.

#4 1 year ago

There are a few things that could cause the “tilt” to be activating. Is the tilt bob centered and not touching any sides?

The wiring you are looking at could go to something or nothing at all. (some wiring on machines were left open to add/change coin relays)
A schematic would really help- you will really need one.

#5 1 year ago

You said "start button does nothing" ... are there credits on the game ?

altered pic from https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2063

little square window on backglass

I wonder if activating the tilt is just lighting the GI (general illumination) the left flipper button may do the same thing when first plugged in -or- the start button -if- there are any credits.

the credit wheel in the back should move freely advancing credits ( don't force it )

lemme know the results

score board credit window (resized).jpgscore board credit window (resized).jpg

#6 1 year ago

Hey guys thanks for the responses so quick. I will order a schematic as well as pick up a multimeter. Tilt bob is centered. The back window does show 15 credits, everything else is at 0. All the contacts seem to be good. It always ran when i was a kid and we never inserted coins so I am guessing my Grandpa bypassed it since there is no wires to the coinslot. I will try all the noted things. Really appreciate the help!

#7 1 year ago

chas10e You were right. Got the credits and everything set to zero and it starts right up. Just the flippers aren't working at the moment. Everything else seems good!

#8 1 year ago

I had to look at a pic to see that it has a manual ball launcher .... so a game starts allowing you to launch a ball , plunging it into the playfield will generate some points but both flippers don't work ?

hmmmm dirty flipper button contacts ? dirty EOS (end of stroke) switches on the flipper mechanisms

#9 1 year ago

I once bought a game from 1964, most of the mechanics in the backbox were seized, I had to disassemble everything and clean

#10 1 year ago

chas10e Awesome work. Yea points work, all the sounds etc just not the flippers. There is one wire I noticed is not connected that could be causing it. Ill post a pic, the white/red wire free hanging. I will clean them all as well

thumbnail_IMG_3057 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3057 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

I'm not real familiar with "woodrail" games ... is that the flipper switch ?

The pic from IPDB https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2063&picno=20921&zoom=1 looks like that red wire attaches to the "bus" (bare wire) that connects the two switches together

EDIT:
It's really hard to tell but the black wire on that switch might be on the wrong blade also

#12 1 year ago

I saw that picture and that was the best I could see as well. I will try that. And yes that is the left flipper initial contact

#13 1 year ago

I just saw an ad for original schematics / manuals https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/150035

If this person doesn't have the one for your game, Steve at http://www.pbresource.com/your1st.html probably can make you a really good copy as Billc479 mentioned above. I like to call him on the phone myself.

a new ball,rubber rings along with shooter tip and rebound rubber and proper cleaning supplies will help preserve the game

#14 1 year ago

Alright so I connected the red/white wire to the bus. Now immediately upon starting the right flipper goes up and there is a loud noise. The left flipper works fine though. Been reading maybe a plunger issue or transistor? It drops down upon unplugging the machine.

#15 1 year ago

You have an electrical issue. You need to check to see why the machine thinks the flipper button is pushed in, asking the flipper to go up.

Also, there are no transistors that drive anything in a 1956 machine. Howard, please correct me if I’m wrong.

#16 1 year ago

What does the right flipper switch look like ? (compared to the left switch you've shown.)

The way it l@@ks , it seems like the left flipper would go up when red wire was attached to the bus.

the loud noise, can you tell if it's coming from the right flipper? Is the right flipper EOS switch properly gapped?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts-blog/eos-switches/

#17 1 year ago

Okay my bad I messed that up. I meant to say the left flipper is the one that goes up upon starting. I also noticed there is no wrap on the solenoid (I think that's what it's called?). It is still connected though. Attached are pictures of it. The plungers are all pretty smooth and the switches seem clean enough

thumbnail_IMG_3062 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3062 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3064 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3064 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

ok as I suspected the left flipper would energize ....

move the black wire from one leaf blade to the other.

The missing coil wrapper could have been burnt off from overheating ( or glue came undone )

but it does seem to move freely it sounds like so that's good ?

There are 2 sets of windings in the flipper coil a power set & a holding set both should show a small amount of resistance on an ohm meter.

The part number for the coil; should it need replacing; seems to be under the coil stop, newer games it's written on the wrapper (see if it's on the other flipper wrapper ... but if it works , don't fix it
swap baldes (resized).jpgswap baldes (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

You nailed it. Moved the wire to the other leaf and both flippers are working great. Awesome. Thanks so much! And for keeping it simple to my untrained mind!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-these-wires-go and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.