Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Frax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    20160421_103715_(resized).jpg
    20160420_193416_(resized).jpg
    DSC09005_(resized).JPG
    HZ5g04V_(resized).jpg
    image-4_(resized).jpg
    image-1_(resized).jpg
    20160420_101408_(resized).jpg
    all_misfit_toys_welcome_here-1_(resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

My mommy says the stork brings them from pinball heaven

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Mike did you notice the SJ head? i finally pitched that! But no, regular pickup took it. And yes JR I saved the front from the cab with serial. But the game lives in another body.

I hope you left it outside until you got rid of it. The garage where I had the game still smells of it a bit.

#53 7 years ago

This forum always amazes me with the amount of responses. Thanks for the advise and confirmation. I'll stay away from the guys that want $700 for a non-working game. I saw a couple in my area recently that are asking $250 for games that don't work. I assume that is a more realistic price.

The more I look at games to decide what I want the more I think I should get more than one. I'm already hooked and I don't have the first one.

#54 7 years ago

It's called Pinitis (probably don't google that though)

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

My mommy says the stork brings them from pinball heaven

image_(resized).jpeg

When an old cash register and a bagatelle game love each other VERY much, they share a special embrace.

9 months later a Williams Toledo pops out of the cash register.

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

This forum always amazes me with the amount of responses. Thanks for the advise and confirmation. I'll stay away from the guys that want $700 for a non-working game. I saw a couple in my area recently that are asking $250 for games that don't work. I assume that is a more realistic price.
    The more I look at games to decide what I want the more I think I should get more than one. I'm already hooked and I don't have the first one.

I'd be real cautious about buying a game based on working or non working. There's a lot more that goes into it than just working or non working. If someone wants to sell you a non working Atlantis for $700 that has a great glass and pristine playfield, you run, not walk, and you leave skid marks from your car getting to him with the cash in hand.

If someone wants to offer you a $250 working Darling, you'd be better off finding something else.

Non working can be something difficult, or it can be something really simple. The thing about EMs is, assuming it is complete, eventually you can get it to work. It may take some time, but if it's complete and not full of hacks, you can get it to work.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'd be real cautious about buying a game based on working or non working. There's a lot more that goes into it than just working or non working. If someone wants to sell you a non working Atlantis for $700 that has a great glass and pristine playfield, you run, not walk, and you leave skid marks from your car getting to him with the cash in hand.
    If someone wants to offer you a $250 working Darling, you'd be better off finding something else.
    Non working can be something difficult, or it can be something really simple. The thing about EMs is, assuming it is complete, eventually you can get it to work. It may take some time, but if it's complete and not full of hacks, you can get it to work.

Ditto

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I hope you left it outside until you got rid of it. The garage where I had the game still smells of it a bit.

It wasn't bad. We wrapped it in stretch wrap and didn't notice any smell the whole trip down to TX. We were more concerned about mold.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

It wasn't bad. We wrapped it in stretch wrap and didn't notice any smell the whole trip down to TX. We were more concerned about mold.

I'm pretty sure that the mold on that one was the smell, so wrapping it up in wrap nipped that one in the bud.

I brought that thing home in the back seat of my pickup, uncovered. That was pleasant. If I had realized how bad it was, I would have put it in the bed with the cabinets.

#61 7 years ago

This is confusing. How do I know what I should or shouldn't buy?

#62 7 years ago

You have to look at the game. You need to know the overall condition. I've always believed that knowing if the game is complete, if all the mechanical parts are there, is the most important point. You can find missing stuff but it makes repairing and getting the game to work more problematical, and for someone with little to no experience fixing games, I think that is important.

Backglasses can be reproduced. In some cases, you can source a replacement playfield. You can repaint the cabinet. Most of the stuff on the playfield is available and you can replace that. But if you're got missing relays or steppers, your job has become much, much harder.

A non working game that is complete is not really too big a deal. A non working game missing important parts is.

If you're just starting off, you want to find a complete game in decent condition that you can learn to work on. Once you gain some experience you can take on more problematical games. I've been at this awhile but I really don't want to deal with incomplete games if I don't have to. And most of the time, you probably wont.

#63 7 years ago

There's a few price guides online, plus Pinside, to give you a basic idea of game value. Look at the Pinside Top 100 as well to see which games are popular - generally, price is based on popularity, then condition.

#64 7 years ago

The thing is, you might buy a game thinking, I'm really going to like this, then you play it for awhile and you find that you really don't. It's ok, we've all been there. You can always move it on and buy another. If nothing else is guaranteed in this hobby, you won't stop at one. It's pretty improbable you'll buy one game, keep it, and be done. You'll add on. You'll get tired of a game and move it on, and get another one. That's the way we pretty much all are. What you like might even change some. When I got back into the hobby, I wasn't necessarily thinking of owning many drop target games. Now I own four that have them. I've sold others that did.

Just don't limit yourself to one particular type of game (two inch vs three inch flippers, for instance) or one particular manufacturer. All of them made great games, all made duds. What some think is no good, others love.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

The thing is, you might buy a game thinking, I'm really going to like this, then you play it for awhile and you find that you really don't. It's ok, we've all been there. You can always move it on and buy another. If nothing else is guaranteed in this hobby, you won't stop at one. It's pretty improbable you'll buy one game, keep it, and be done. You'll add on. You'll get tired of a game and move it on, and get another one. That's the way we pretty much all are. What you like might even change some. When I got back into the hobby, I wasn't necessarily thinking of owning many drop target games. Now I own four that have them. I've sold others that did.
    Just don't limit yourself to one particular type of game (two inch vs three inch flippers, for instance) or one particular manufacturer. All of them made great games, all made duds. What some think is no good, others love.

And its certainly difficult for a first or 2nd time buyer to know the game to buy. There are some real dogs out there that just dont have any appeal. But getting into the hobby $100-200 game is a great way to try it out.

Hell Ive just spent $950 in parts on a $300 game I havnt even picked up yet (Wade Krause pf, Shay bg). But I know its an A list game.

#67 7 years ago

I answered a local ad that had two games, a pin and a shuffle bowler.
    The fella got them in a trade for some painting work he did. He put them in a (Canadian) unheated no power old garage with no plan and never turned them on once. Two years later he needed some space. Put up ad 400 each. I showed up with large mini van, after a quick look inside ( nothin obvious missing ) some haggling, (I'll take them now, may never work, full of black walnuts, corn and moose poop), got them for 500 for the pair.
    100 bucks in parts, a few hours of basic overhaul, a bit of research and voila I now have not a beautiful but fully functioning Bally Hi-Lo Aces and an almost fully functioning Williams Pinnacle Shuffle bowler in my unheated garage getting the heck played out of them. With lots of offers to buy.
    For me seeing them come back to life, that's my satisfaction. Like a old classic car, Make it go someone will take it and cover your costs. Restore to new you better love it cause you'll never get your money back out of it.
    That's where old EM games come from.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm not sure I agree with this.

A total newbie should buy an EM that WORKS, unless he has friends who don't mind helping him out for beer. The Atlantis is a special case - but most EMs aren't worth that much more working than not. EM logic takes a long time to learn. Better to buy something that works and fix things one at a time when they break. A total project EM is a mistake for a newbie to take on in my opinion.

PLus...most people are just going to want to play a game when you buy it. A lot less exciting to bring home a paperweight.

As far as "what to buy" - it's not that complicated.

Your average working EM in decent shape will go for $400-900 in the hobby, twice that retail. That covers about 95 percent of all EMs made. Buy one that you think looks like fun, if you don't like it, sell it. It's not rocket science and it's not a big gamble in a hobby were $8,000 is the new $4,000.

Something like Allentown pinfest is a great opportunity to play and price a ton of EM pins and take one home.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not sure I agree with this.
    A total newbie should buy an EM that WORKS, unless he has friends who don't mind helping him out for beer. The Atlantis is a special case - but most EMs aren't worth that much more working than not. EM logic takes a long time to learn. Better to buy something that works and fix things one at a time when they break. A total project EM is a mistake for a newbie to take on in my opinion.
    PLus...most people are just going to want to play a game when you buy it. A lot less exciting to bring home a paperweight.
    As far as "what to buy" - it's not that complicated.
    Your average working EM in decent shape will go for $400-900 in the hobby, twice that retail. That covers about 95 percent of all EMs made. Buy one that you think looks like fun, if you don't like it, sell it. It's not rocket science and it's not a big gamble in a hobby were $8,000 is the new $4,000.
    Something like Allentown pinfest is a great opportunity to play and price a ton of EM pins and take one home.

I was taking it that he wanted to learn. Maybe I misread the whole thing. I agree that it's better for a noob to buy one working, but eventually it's going to break and you'll have to learn how to fix them anyway-either that, or pay someone to fix it for you.

One thing that we've seen on here is guys saying, EM noob, bought my first game, Grand Prix. Now THAT is not a good way to start out. That's like saying I've build model airplanes, time to work on 767s.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

One thing that we've seen on here is guys saying, EM noob, bought my first game, Grand Prix. Now THAT is not a good way to start out. That's like saying I've build model airplanes, time to work on 767s.

Is GP especially complicated for an EM? Other than it being a 4-player? I've wanted one for a while, but haven't stumbled across one yet.

#71 7 years ago

I'd recommend making sure that the game WORKS, especially since it's your first game. Play it, watch it score, play it again. Make sure it's a game that you find somewhat fun. There's nothing worse than having one game you can never play because it doesn't work and you can't get it going. If it actually works but is dirty, then shopping (top playfield clean/wax, new rubber rings, lights replaced if burned out, etc) is a great way to get some initial hands-on experience.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Is GP especially complicated for an EM? Other than it being a 4-player? I've wanted one for a while, but haven't stumbled across one yet.

It's not just a 4 player it's probably got more steppers and relays than any other game. A big heavy EM mess.

#73 7 years ago

I like fixing junk, and these old basket case EM's...best junk ever! Just the fact that they still work after 50 years of hard labour, abuse and neglect is amazing. I say dive in and get dirty, everything you need to know is here in pinside or on the internet. If its a basket case, get another and use it for parts. Buy a old pin and just brag about it, who cares if you have to turn the score motor by hand, you are in the game! And best of all,
    They don't talk back, they are beautiful and when you push their buttons they enjoy it... hmmm sorry off topic

btw I have a grand prix....its really got a lot of parts...scary parts....I'll try later parts..

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What Levi said. It's got two separate bonus steppers, and the bonus steppers have three coils each, because they not only have to count down to score, they have to totally reset when the ball drains and that side bonus is not scored, due to the alternating nature of the bonus. Pretty involved deal.

It's pretty intimidating to look at, that is for sure. Tons of relays and steppers. It scores to 999990 so you have not 16 score reels to deal with, but 20. It's a whole lot of game for an experience person to work on, much less someone who has never raised the hood on an EM before.

It's a great player though, especially for a four player. Those dual spinners and four drop targets, with DC power, make it a fast and furious game. Extra ball, on field special, it pretty much has it all. Great game.

#75 7 years ago

Where do these games come from?

I think some are one-offs that have been sitting in people's basements forgotten about in the corner. Bought for the family decades ago and all the kids have long moved out.

I spoke to someone and they told me they had an aunt that had one ... typical thing where they didn't know which game it was, or even if it worked. I wanted more info in case it was one I wanted, but aunt apparently didn't want to sell it. Would rather just let it sit in a corner collecting dust.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

It's pretty intimidating to look at, that is for sure. Tons of relays and steppers. It scores to 999990 so you have not 16 score reels to deal with, but 20. It's a whole lot of game for an experience person to work on, much less someone who has never raised the hood on an EM before.

I agree about Grand Prix being intimidating. I almost didn't buy mine because of its reputation. The machine spent over a decade in a warehouse and was in nonworking condition when I got it. Thanks to the help from Pinsiders, it now plays great.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger64:

I think some are one-offs that have been sitting in people's basements forgotten about in the corner. Bought for the family decades ago and all the kids have long moved out.
    I spoke to someone and they told me they had an aunt that had one ... typical thing where they didn't know which game it was, or even if it worked. I wanted more info in case it was one I wanted, but aunt apparently didn't want to sell it. Would rather just let it sit in a corner collecting dust.

Occasionally those are games you can get for a song and a dance, sometimes just the song, because someone has inherited it and says, I just want this POS gone. But other times those are the games you see where someone goes all Pawn Stars, thinks they are sitting on a pot of gold, and tells you, they only made 5154 of these, it's RARE!!! while putting a $3k price tag on it.

#78 7 years ago

Grand Prix was one of the first EMs I worked on... piece of cake. But lots of time if you go thru everything.

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

What Levi said.

Well, he's ignored on my end, for plenty of reasons, so I doubly appreciate your specific response. Good to know. I've always liked the idea of the dual spinners and bonus.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-do-the-old-em-games-come-from/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.