(Topic ID: 201813)

Where do all the coin boxes and mechs go??

By Robotworkshop

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 33 days ago by tilted81
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Is there someone hoarding coin boxes and coin mechs somewhere or do they just get worn out from all the quarters they bring in? More often than not I've seen games with the coin mechs removed and the coin boxes missing. Is there some reason I'm not aware of that would cause someone to pull them from a machine?

I have my games set on free play but would still like to have them complete. Still trying to track down the two plastic coin mechs and retaining brackets for a Pinbot.

When you get a game does it usually have the coin mechs and coin box or have those been missing too?

#2 1 year ago

One operator I know has a whole box of malfunctioning coin mechs. Yes, they wear out eventually.

If a game is being retired and still has good coin mechs, they will be removed and reused in another game or kept as spares for when other mechs fail.

I like having my games "complete" as well. Depending on the era of game, sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's difficult to locate the proper coin box. At shows, you can usually find at least one person who has some for sale in the flea market.

When I find games, sometimes they have mechs and coinboxes, and sometimes they don't. I've also known some collectors who remove coin mechs and coin boxes from games they find and sell them separately for a few extra bucks.

If you need help identifying coin boxes, I started documenting them in an identification guide a while back:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Coinbox/Cashbox_Identification_Guide

#3 1 year ago

Bought numerous games without coin boxes. Not so much missing mechs, although occasionally the whole door is wiped clean of parts.

#4 1 year ago

I believe operators would often take out the coin mechs to reuse. As for the coin boxes I find they get in the way. I like to put the manual in there and it doesn't fit in the box. I suppose I can put it under. I also like to place extra bulbs or drop down stickers and you can't easily see them in the coin box.

I take the boxes out and pile them in the garage. Though when I sell the machine I put them back. I would suspect others take them out for similar reasons but discard them

Mike V

#5 1 year ago

Operators didn't want people who bought machines to be putting them out for the public to use if they sold used machines because someone else would be getting quarters they could be collection. Pulling coin boxes & mechs was just one of many ways to make it a little harder for someone to put a machine back on route. You will often find coin chutes missing on earlier machines for exactly the same reason.

That is also one of the reasons so many operators wouldn't sell used machines back in the day. They were better off trashing them then having someone buying a machine for a couple hundred bucks and putting it in a local Pizza Shop or Bar collecting quarters at a location that could have been making them money. A used machine put back into service could cost an operator thousands of dollars in just a few years so they didn't want to see that happen.

#6 1 year ago

I pull coin boxes sometimes to use as replacements when games get broken into and the person steals the coin box. Mechs I rarely take out

1 year later
#7 33 days ago

Out of 10 machines we have purchased, only 1 game came with the coinbox.

#8 33 days ago

Trend is real, last 3 games in no coin box and I keep sending the ones I have out.

#9 33 days ago

The only games I’ve bought that had em were either new or huo. Some have had the bottom of the coin box but not the top.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Rapid City, SD
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Sale Pending!
Crofton, MD
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Stafford, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside