Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ToucanF16
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nipitinthebud (resized).jpg
    images4KDKTDEY (resized).jpg
    that far (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 7 years ago

Where to start?

McCune and I had a bit of a spat many years ago here on Pinside. I think we were both surprised by it because we had a lot of respect for each other. He sent me a PM and said "Call me!" with his cell number. I called him, we yelled at each other for a few minutes, worked it out, then proceeded to have a great conversation about pinball that lasted about an hour.

Since then, we have become great friends. I continue to stay in touch with Jim on a regular basis. I may or may not stay in the hobby of Pinball, but regardless of whether I do (or Jim does for that matter) I have every intention of staying in touch with him as I consider him a great friend who I would never want to lose contact with, despite the fact that he lives in another state.

We have met up in Vegas a few times. He (and his family) has been to my house a few times, and my family spent time at his house in Utah. My girls felt right at home and had a blast playing his games and talking to Jim and his wife. I got to see his super cool shop in person, as well as a super sweet Scared Stiff that he was restoring (this video is of the same SS that I saw after it was mostly done):

I can tell you that of all the memories that I have from this crazy hobby, the best memories, the most fun, the most anticipation, and the most that I have ever learned have been as the result of him doing his amazing restorations of my AFM and MB. The quality is simply top notch in every way. The transformations, especially of AFM which was a total piece of crap, were truly amazing. And being able to see pictures and talk to Jim whenever I wanted to during the whole process was just invaluable, and made it easily worth every single cent that I paid. To this day I think he earned less than minimum wage on these restorations given the amount of work and attention to detail that he put into these things!

Many people didn't/don't realize that this was just a hobby for Jim. I would even receive PM's from people asking me why McCune didn't respond to them about a restoration that they wanted him to do and how could he possibly stay in business when he turns customers away or pisses them off like that?! lol

So as a hobby, it was always about the fun and satisfaction that Jim would get from doing these amazing restorations. Well, it has become less fun for him, so it makes sense that he would be taking a break from it. I certainly understand how he feels. As mentioned, he is now in the process of doing a car restoration, and I fully expect that to be as amazing as his pin restorations were.

His restorations still amaze me as much today as when he did my first restoration more than 3 years ago. Thanks Jim!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robt-afm-restore-progress-333-pictures-of-this-trashed-afm

https://www.youtube.com/embed/srB0p0zjby8?autoplay=1&rel=0

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

He could sure restore games to top level and his instructions and videos were great. I modeled some of my shop after his setup. Great stuff!
    I don't miss the negativity tho.

McCune says to STFU!

1 month later
    #67 7 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

He better still be working on at least ONE game - he has my Whirlwind traded my AC/DC to him for the resto. I spoke with him back in March. Sometimes restorations take a while ... He did my AFM - CHERRY. I only really need BK to do one now .

Having a McCune restored Whirlwind would be sweet!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-did-mccunedisappear-to?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.