You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KINPIN.png
image.jpg
Kingpin_Flyer_2010.jpg
Kingpin_flyer.jpg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm looking to play a Capcom Kingpin machine and the two places listed that have them don't. The national pinball museum sold theirs (I don't know where it went) and Ground Kontrol in Portland has a 1973 gottlieb game called King Pin, different game.

I'd be willing to travel, as I'm doing my big year this year and this is one game that I'd really to play after playing Big Bang Bar this past weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Lou

#2 11 years ago

Lloyd's place ?

#3 11 years ago

only 8 of them left, tough one to find for sure. am sure most are in private collections. i know of someone who has one, havent got to check it out though.

#4 11 years ago

Nuts! The National Pinball Museum sold theirs???

That was the only time/place I ever got to play it. I spent 4+ hours there one snowy afternoon waiting for flights out of Reagan National to resume.

You can run it on Virtual Pinball/VPinMame. That'll let you experience the sounds/rules/gameplay to a certain extent but unfortunately it isn't as thorough of a recreation as other titles for the virtual pinball platform.

#5 11 years ago

There was one last year at pin a Gogo in Dixon, CA
I wonder if it will be back this year...

#6 11 years ago

There was one at California Extreme last year, might be back this year. Pretty cool game!

#7 11 years ago

i purchased the king pin form the national pinball museum for a friend

#8 11 years ago

only public one on the pinside map is

Ground Kontrol
511 NW Couch St, Portland, OR 97209, USA

not sure if this still exists

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

There was one at California Extreme last year, might be back this year. Pretty cool game!

+1

I went to CAX in 2010 and they had it that year, too. I'd say that's a good bet. Great show, too!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

only public one on the pinside map is
Ground Kontrol
511 NW Couch St, Portland, OR 97209, USA
not sure if this still exists

That is not the capcom kingpin, ground kontrol has a bowling themed pin from 1973 called king pin. The map has the wrong information

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Lloyd's place ?

Lloyd does not have one...unless he hides it in storage?

#12 11 years ago

Sure the game will be back @ CAX again this year. I have seen it every time I go for the past couple years alongside BBB.

#13 11 years ago

Doesn't Pinsider WiseGuy have one?

#14 11 years ago

It's one of the best games out there, imo. I'd love to get the license and build new ones. I'm hoping it's back on PAGG this year too.

#15 11 years ago

I might have to fly out to CA from Nj for that show. I just checked out the California extreme show website and kingpin is listed on 2013 list of games. Hopefully I can find it closer to me. I am planning to go to the museum in Las Vegas to check out the pinball circus machine (I think there are only 2 of them) and I don't know where the other one is.

Thanks to everyone for the information.

#16 11 years ago

I played it at PAGG last year and it really was a fun game. I came back to it a couple hours later and some tall dude was destroying it. I believe he beat the thing, too. He surely had the points for it! It was really fun to watch. Could've been Rick Stetta for all I know. Is he tall?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from louknees:

The national pinball museum sold theirs

Man, that's too bad. I played that game when it used to be at David's house. Really fun game.

Dan

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from louknees:

I might have to fly out to CA from Nj for that show. I just checked out the California extreme show website and Kingpin is listed on 2013 list of games.

It's there every year. Good game, but I'm not sure it's worth flying out from NJ!! LOL!

#19 11 years ago

I've played it, but not extensively. Would love to get more time on it. Definitely made a great first impression on me. I loved it.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I played it at PAGG last year and it really was a fun game. I came back to it a couple hours later and some tall dude was destroying it. I believe he beat the thing, too. He surely had the points for it! It was really fun to watch. Could've been Rick Stetta for all I know. Is he tall?

Rick is average height. If he was tall and a little bit husky that was probably Hal Erickson.

#21 11 years ago

I talked to the owner of the Kingpin at CAX last year, I think he plans to have it there every year. Nice guy also.

#22 11 years ago

Ugh game is pretty weak when you get INTO it. Software way proto. Does not live up to the hype nor the price. Novelty pin for sure.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

By the way, Kingpin is very easy to beat. Once you have the backhand to the saucer shot down (starts modes) you can rip through the game very quickly.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Ha funny to read. I was the "tall dude" and remember that game.

Previous time I played kingpin was at CAX a year earlier, a two player game with Todd MacCulloch. Worst game of pinball I have ever had. My total ball time must havd been under a minute, while Todd killed it. One of the few times I felt short at 6'5". I think Todd's 7' or 7'1".

#25 11 years ago

Wouldn't be able to play it at the Pinball Museum anyway, they closed last Sunday

#26 11 years ago

David Silver was a pleasure to do work with when i purchased the kingpin from him...nice guy hopefully he gets a museum up and running again some where

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

David Silver was a pleasure to do work with when i purchased the Kingpin from him...nice guy hopefully he gets a museum up and running again some where

Yes, I went Saturday for the first time and really enjoyed the museum. A really nice selection of games.

#28 11 years ago

if you make it out to ca let us know. we can hit in and out and then play king pin.

#29 11 years ago

What does one of those go for these days?

#31 11 years ago

Are you serious? I thought it might be in the BBB territory, but no more than that.

#32 11 years ago

It should be "priceless" as far as collections go soon. I think 40k may already qualify for a pinball machine.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from louknees:

That is not the capcom Kingpin, ground kontrol has a bowling themed pin from 1973 called king pin. The map has the wrong information

He is correct Ground Kontrol has the old wedge head kingpin.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Are you serious? I thought it might be in the BBB territory, but no more than that.

Maybe if IPB had reproduced the 150 of them as planned, they would go for that price.

Unfortunately, Gene didn't have the money to buy the recent one for sale to reverse engineer.

So currently, the project is dead in the water.

#35 11 years ago

i played it at pin a go go last year. its a fun game with a great theme. not 40,000 fun. but fun.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Maybe if IPB had reproduced the 150 of them as planned, they would go for that price.
Unfortunately, Gene didn't have the money to buy the recent one for sale to reverse engineer.
So currently, the project is dead in the water.

Perhaps he would sell the rights to another group one day...people interprited his "prepare for pigs to fly" comment as being in reference to him finally making KP...but perhaps it was a reference that he plans to sell the rights to it.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Perhaps he would sell the rights to another group one day...people interprited his "prepare for pigs to fly" comment as being in reference to him finally making KP...but perhaps it was a reference that he plans to sell the rights to it.

Maybe, maybe not.

Prior to the 2008 economic collapse, 122 of 150 had signed up to make the project a reality.

Ohhhh, so close!

#38 11 years ago

Here was the first request July '08....

Kingpin_flyer.jpgKingpin_flyer.jpg

#39 11 years ago

last person who i heard was willing to sell theirs said 45k.....

#40 11 years ago

Last request, June 2010....

Kingpin_Flyer_2010.jpgKingpin_Flyer_2010.jpg

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Maybe, maybe not.
Prior to the 2008 economic collapse, 122 of 150 had signed up to make the project a reality.
Ohhhh, so close!

Wow, that was close. They would probably hit 150 in today's market if the project had not already been attempted and failed by Gene. Would love to see this game become a reality at some point; though with all the new pins in the making I am not sure if I would jump on the pre-order list honestly.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow, that was close. They would probably hit 150 in today's market if the project had not already been attempted and failed by Gene. Would love to see this game become a reality at some point; though with all the new pins in the making I am not sure if I would jump on the pre-order list honestly.

Somebody with real good credibility could make it work.

Since everything is already there, no need to drag out the project for years on end either.

One year...max!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Somebody with real good credibility could make it work.
Since everything is already there, no need to drag out the project for years on end either.
One year...max!

Certainly true. If JJP or Stern bought the rights to do this game and could do it at an affordable price I think that would be a different story. I think both Stern and JJP are looking to the future of pinball and not back 15 years though.

The game looks like a lot of fun. I'd sure enjoy playing one. At a 45k value though I know it can't be easy for any of the lucky owners of the game to bring it to a show and set it on free play for all to enjoy; that's gotta be tough for them. I tip my hat to them.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Since everything is already there

?

You need to make boards. Get one IC that is security protected and can't be copied.

Not to mention cabinets, playfields, plastics, etc.

None of that currently exists. And won't happen over night.

Being able to copy the game and sound ROMs won't make the rest happen. And unless you have an assembly line and work force. I think you'd end up at least as long as the BBB project.

There might be a few short cuts. But a year...max ?

LTG : )

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

?
You need to make boards. Get one IC that is security protected and can't be copied.
Not to mention cabinets, playfields, plastics, etc.
None of that currently exists. And won't happen over night.
Being able to copy the game and sound ROMs won't make the rest happen. And unless you have an assembly line and work force. I think you'd end up at least as long as the BBB project.
There might be a few short cuts. But a year...max ?
LTG : )

Last I heard, Gene had got past the IC issue. The only delay in the project was lack of capital.

All of the blueprints are there but yes, without a strong assembly line like Stern, these would take longer than a year.

#46 11 years ago

Here's a flyer my buddy got regarding the kingpin. I don't know when it was probably one of the 1st ones. Has the price at 7k

image.jpgimage.jpg

#47 11 years ago

Gene secured a kingpin for reproduction purposes when he would be ready to go... The last update I got was the reverse engineering was done on the chip. Then after testing the reverse engineering on the chip there was issues with it that appeared during play and its back to being worked on.. Capital is not a issue, its solely the chip reverse engineering that Gene has been spending thousands to have fixed... Unfortunately he's not getting any younger so chances are he may never push it through and the next capcom rights owner will have to decide

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

last person who i heard was willing to sell theirs said 45k.....

Makes the MM for 20k seem like a deal.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

I talked to the owner of the Kingpin at CAX last year, I think he plans to have it there every year. Nice guy also.

This looks like a great show and I'll be able to play the kingpin. Who else is going? I'd love to split hotel accomodations with someone or get a ride from the airport. I'm looking at flights and I found a nice priced one.

#50 11 years ago

I'm lovin' my Breakshot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-play-a-capcom-kingpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.