(Topic ID: 103674)

Where can I go to watch pros playing pinball other than youtube?

By Bothan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Snailman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I want to watch the best of the best playing pinball to see what I can glean from them but I can't tell which PAPA matches are the closest to the best of the best because I don't understand how they are titled on youtube. This video clearly seems to be a good one but I don't know what else to watch:

Also so I don't have to start another thread, is it really a live catch if the ball rolls up the inlane like happens sometimes with a drop catch? That happened to me alot today on Dr. Who and I'm wondering if they are legit live catches or if maybe the ball is just bouncing up the inlane. Also in Taxi I can get the ball to stop but I think it's more of a post catch than a live catch. On terminator 2 I get some legit live catches but they are extremely inconsistent. On fishtales today out of about 5 games I never succeeded in a single live catch. I think I have to solumly accept that I blow at live catches. I am getting better at everything else though so that's good but live catches are so damn effective at improving ball control that I feel like I need to master them too.

#2 9 years ago

Not sure I understand you correctly, but I'll try to help. When watching videos on youtube, click on the title below the video for details. That video and lots of other competitive videos are categorized and linked on PAPA's website.

http://www.papa.org

Videos can be helpful, but the best way to improve your skills is to play with and against better players. Fortunately for you, MI has tons of great players, lots of leagues and even more tournaments. If you really want to improve, get out there and play. The link below will get you started.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/leagues.php

To me, a live catch is when the ball stops dead on the flipper. Beyond that, there are many different names for the same move. Don't worry about what it's called, just get good at it. The points at the end of the game is what counts. Style points only count if you're single and at a bar on Saturday night.

#3 9 years ago

ah... I was confused by the round numbers... If I want to see the supposedly best players in action I look for "final round". The only local league I'm aware of meets on a day I have class late. I am going to try to join them after this semester. For now I do sometimes compete with my dad but I don't learn much from him because he is better than me strickly by aiming almost perfectly rather than being good at other ball control techniques. I will ask the league guys who I see at the bar on random days to play vs me and I'll watch what they do. Watching competition is interesting to see how often they use various skills and the commentators opinions. I see your point about style points and when I watch competition videos those guys can rarely get the ball to stop dead on the flipper either so I shouldn't worry about it.

#4 9 years ago

If you're serious about getting better, there's only one way: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lessons-hurry-slots-are-filling-up-fast

#5 9 years ago

Lots of good tournament coverage out there now, don't neglect earlier rounds or qualifying though either, you can definitely pick up some handy rule set knowledge

#6 9 years ago

My house!(; JK

#7 9 years ago

Stop trying to live catch so much. Yeah I know the chicks dig the long ball, but this skill will come over time with enough pratice. I see lots of guys that make the mistake of tryin to live catch every bounce on the flipper and that is just a mistake especially for a beginner. Patience is a virtue, your scores will improve by flipping less and letting the ball bounce over and then cradle if you want to stop it.

#8 9 years ago

The guy who won the tournament I was watching was a pro at live catching that's why I want to learn it better. But you're right I am one of those guys who tries to live catch everything. I get in live catch mode or dead flipper pass mode rather than discerning on the fly which skill to employ

#9 9 years ago

Search twitch.tv for pinball channels, alot of leagues are streaming their games now. I agree on the bounce pass, it's the hardest thing to learn because your brain says 'PRESS THE BUTTON' but sometimes the best way to flip is to learn when not to. I've noticed an improvement in my scores since I've been working on it, it's a tough skill considering your actually doing nothing

#10 9 years ago

Michigan Pinball Expo in April.....or you might run into a "pro" level player at The Arcade in Brighton Michigan or Marvins on any given day/night.

#11 9 years ago

You could also come to my house and see a C/B division player drain.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

The guy who won the tournament I was watching was a pro at live catching that's why I want to learn it better. But you're right I am one of those guys who tries to live catch everything. I get in live catch mode or dead flipper pass mode rather than discerning on the fly which skill to employ

Search youtube for Rick Stetta videos. Rick is the master of the dead flipper pass and rarely does live catches. I learned a lot by watching Rick play. He has immense patience. He'll let a ball bounce a couple of times and just when you think he's going to flip, he lets the ball bounce a couple more times. Depending on the game, it can be a little unnerving at first to watch him. Rick used to be considered the best player in the world.

#13 9 years ago

http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball/profile/past_broadcasts

Best place to watch commentated videos and competition strategies. I also disagree with "play with people in real life". It's definitely not a bad thing, but I feel like you can learn just as much from the papa flipper skills videos than a person at the local location, especially if they're a more on-the-fly player.

#14 9 years ago

I just wasted like $20 on pinball. I have a bad habit of having too many beers when playing and they really don't help after a certain point. I had one good game on doctor who and that's it. Can't seem to find a great way to get the ball to the left flipper consistently since it's lighting flippers and the gap in the middle is big. Working on kicking the ball back on the right flipper and post transferring it but neither technique is consistent at this point, it's a hard game to post transfer on. I love terminator 2 but I have days where either my pinball skills are on point and I can't aim that damn "take your best shot" thing or days where my pinball skills are shit but I hit every shot with that toy.

I'm trying to change up my skill set in too many ways at once and it's making me suck. I think I should just work on one new skill at a time. I am trying a new way to aim that my dad uses. Instead of timing in my head how far down the flipper to shoot each shot I'm visually looking at how far down the flipper the ball is for each shot. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or a worse way of playing.

Anyway there are only three leagues in my area I am aware of: the closest I have a conflict with when they meet, Marvins only meets once a month which is dumb, and the detroit pinball league requires you to have your own collection. I have had a couple people mention coming over to their place and if you guys are serious that would be cool. I have only serial killed two people in the last year so I think I have that out of my system for now.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

Anyway there are only three leagues in my area I am aware of: the closest I have a conflict with when they meet, Marvins only meets once a month which is dumb,

Flint on Saturdays starts this weekend...but it's only once a month so I guess we're dumb

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

Instead of timing in my head how far down the flipper to shoot each shot I'm visually looking at how far down the flipper the ball is for each shot. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or a worse way of playing.

This is the way I do it. I think it's more useful since the ball isn't going to be at a constant speed. Once you get your drop catch and bounce pass down, the ball may be moving differently, not always an inlane feed or dead trap.

On that note, I'd say I use bounce passes and drop catches 75% of the time, so practice those first. I practiced one at a time, until I could determine which situations were better for certain skills.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Flint on Saturdays starts this weekend...but it's only once a month so I guess we're dumb

If it were every other month, I might be convinced to go.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

If it were every other month, I might be convinced to go.

Then we'd be double dummer!

#18 9 years ago

Appeac which is the way you do aiming? Timing in your head or distance down the flipper?

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

Appeac which is the way you do aiming? Timing in your head or distance down the flipper?

location on the flipper. Now, you'll still have to learn how to factor in the speed of the ball, but general location is a good start.

#20 9 years ago

FishTales is a good example of factoring speed when you are going for the monster fish. The more you send that ball looping around the ramps the faster it goes. I never thought of trapping it.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

I'm trying to change up my skill set in too many ways at once and it's making me suck

Bearing in mind that I pretty much suck...

My wife makes fun of me for this, so feel free, but I tell her that just like in yoga where you are asked to set an intention for your practice for today, I like to pick one technique to focus on each time I play.

I feel like this has really helped me, especially the few days I spent flipping only when absolutely necessary.

Misguided? IDK, but I'm having fun.

#22 9 years ago

Yeah I think I get less frustrated when I focus on one thing at a time, but it's hard because some of this stuff doesn't work as well on the different machines. The place I go has all different kinds of flippers and two of my favorite machines have lighting flippers. I want to go sue whoever came up with lightening flippers for stealing my right to pursue happiness

*I also have this conspiracy theory that the guy who owns the machines I play has all different kinds of flippers so that it's harder and he gets more quarters...

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I also disagree with "play with people in real life". It's definitely not a bad thing, but I feel like you can learn just as much from the papa flipper skills videos than a person at the local location, especially if they're a more on-the-fly player.

Playing with or against players better than you is educational in just about any sport or game. All the best players in pinball spent time in the trenches (played on location) to learn. When you see a guy do a move you can't do over and over with your own eyes, you learn it. Repetition is an excellent teacher. And if you can win on dirty leaning games with weak flippers, you can win on anything. Playing on location also teaches you how to deal with pressures that can occur in a public location, where tournaments are often held. There are plenty of sharp shooting youngsters coming up now with lightning fast reflexes and razor sharp vision. They kill at home, but collapse in a long tournament in a crowded public location.

The videos are a good resource, but there's no substitute for getting out there and playing with others. Watching videos and practicing at home won't win you PAPA.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

I'm trying to change up my skill set in too many ways at once and it's making me suck. I think I should just work on one new skill at a time.

That's perfectly normal when trying new flipper skills. You have to make a bunch of embarrassing mistakes before you eventually get better. It will get better. You're on the right track.

Rather than limiting yourself to one new skill, try to only use skills that work on that particular game. On some games, post passes are impossible. Accept that and use your other skills that work on that game.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The videos are a good resource, but there's no substitute for getting out there and playing with others. Watching videos and practicing at home won't win you PAPA.

For sure. Leagues teach you how to handle nerves & jitters of playing against people that are "better" than you and how to deal worth pressure sitautions. Luckily in Michigan there are a lot of good players and it's to your benifit to play with them...even if it's not regularly.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

I have only serial killed two people in the last year so I think I have that out of my system for now.

Thats not really considered "Serial".... but maybe we should meet at the M-Brew in Ferndale first.

#27 9 years ago

Yeah recently I have played "with" people three times, two out of the three times the pressure got into my head and made me worse than normal but one of the times I psyched myself into being on my A game. So I can see the point in getting use to playing with people especially who are better than me. But I think there is no substitute for watching finals games cause you are seeing how the best of the best play and there's no arguing that they are mostly doing all the right things and when they don't, the commentators say what they should have done.

Yeah I have been to M-Brew we could play there. My girlfriend might want to come too because they have her ToM. Last time I was there before I could tell one of the girls who came that I like pinball she was like "yeah they have an arcade downstairs with pinball; who plays pinball? It's so slow, I like action games." lmao Pinball has more action than a first person shooter if you ask me, you are making big decisions every few seconds that if you jack up, you loose!

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

"yeah they have an arcade downstairs with pinball; who plays pinball? It's so slow, I like action games."

Yeah, maybe she is just not smart.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

LIVE CATCHES 4 LIFE WOOOOOOOOO!!!@!!1!!

#30 9 years ago

I feel like live catches work better on old flippers and are not so easy on bouncy rubbers or lightning flippers, maybe not the lightning flippers part.

and yeah i attempt live catches on like 70% of my catches and succeed about 2% of the time making the ball come to a complete stop, but even the pros only occasionally make that happen (still much better than myself

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bothan:

are not so easy on bouncy rubbers

Correct.

Quoted from Bothan:

but even the pros only occasionally make that happen

Depends on if they've had a chance to get dialed in on a pin, and more importantly, the type or condition of the rubber.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-go-to-watch-pros-playing-pinball-other-than-youtube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.