Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210828_162512 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-28 150053 (resized).png
    68682B58-54E8-4FA9-A2EA-86A357956D08 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Working on a power supply that has a short in the cable at or just before the strain relief where it enters the plastic housing.

The strain relief doesn’t seem removable without cutting it in half. If so, I’d need to replace it with something equivalent that would fit the notch in the housing.

Any suggestions on how to remove the strain relief without destroying it or where to source a replacement part?

68682B58-54E8-4FA9-A2EA-86A357956D08 (resized).jpeg68682B58-54E8-4FA9-A2EA-86A357956D08 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

It looks like you could just de solder those wires and slide it off

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

It looks like you could just de solder those wires and slide it off

It won’t budge.

#4 2 years ago

It is molded on when made. you will need something like this.

Screenshot 2021-08-28 150053 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-08-28 150053 (resized).png
    #5 2 years ago

Cut it down the middle and use a small flat screwdriver to pry it off. I had to do this to a back massager power supply when someone rolled over the cord with a chair. If it doesn't seem like it will stay on you can wrap it in electrical tape or a zip tie to hold it in place.
    20210828_162512 (resized).jpg20210828_162512 (resized).jpg

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try slicing it and keep the idea of a backup cord in my pocket of slicing doesn’t go well. It’sa power supply for my kid’s piano teacher’s electric piano. He was kind enough to loan it to us when we didn’t have a piano for awhile. When he gave it to me, the transformer was wrapped in about ten layers of duct tape. I told him I’d see if I could fix it for him. I always like to return stuff I borrow in better condition than I received it.

#7 2 years ago

It is moulded there by the cable factory, not removable, but as suggested, you could cut it lengthwise and pry it off BUT it won't have the same holding power as the original moulded one and almost certainly not be legal (if that makes any difference to you).

These cables are designed to be replaced as a complete cable assembly.

#8 2 years ago

Decided I didn’t like the reduction in holding power from spitting the strain relief. I could’ve done without it by wrapping the cable around an internal protrusion in the housing and filling the gap at the housing hole with hot glue or silicone but that felt to “hack”.

Ordered a new cord. Thanks everyone!

#9 2 years ago

Whra happened to crazy glue? Of course the ideal solution is to replace the cord, but crazy glue would of held the strain relief without issues.

+1 on changing the cord though, that is the proper repair.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roamin:

Whra happened to crazy glue? Of course the ideal solution is to replace the cord, but crazy glue would of held the strain relief without issues.
    +1 on changing the cord though, that is the proper repair.

Crazy glue does not flex. Most glues will eventually fail in this application.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Decided I didn’t like the reduction in holding power from spitting the strain relief. I could’ve done without it by wrapping the cable around an internal protrusion in the housing and filling the gap at the housing hole with hot glue or silicone but that felt to “hack”.
    Ordered a new cord. Thanks everyone!

Probably too late for you now.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=strain+relief

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-find-this-strain-relief and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.