Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Parkshow30
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210820_000837 (resized).jpg
    20210820_000837 (resized).jpg
    20210715_130754 (resized).jpg
    8DCA20C8-DE51-437A-827B-75D08E7564F0 (resized).png
    #1 2 years ago

I'm looking for some thin, self-adhesive foam that can be installed in the back of a scoop to prevent bounce-outs. I used to buy the stuff from Pinbits, but they no longer carry it. Plus, I don't think they are currently fulfilling orders even if they did have it. Does anyone know of another pinball supplier that has some in stock, or what the Pinbits product was so I can source it from somewhere else?

Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

Try Ebay

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago

How thick and dense is the foam? Could you use a piece of weatherstripping? Comes in different widths and thicknesses. And self adhesive

8DCA20C8-DE51-437A-827B-75D08E7564F0 (resized).png8DCA20C8-DE51-437A-827B-75D08E7564F0 (resized).png
    #4 2 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Could you use a piece of weatherstripping?

Not like dead drop foam. Balls will bounce off of weatherstripping.

Try searching for black rubber gasket material.

#5 2 years ago

ebay.com link: itm

Ebay has lots of choices.

#6 2 years ago

Surprised there's not modders selling 1 inch squares for $20 plus shipping of this yet...

#7 2 years ago

Would the soft side of Velcro work? Curious: what game are you tuning?

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Surprised there's not modders selling 1 inch squares for $20 plus shipping of this yet...

agreed

#10 2 years ago

This stuff is 1/8" thick, so a bit thinner than those others I linked.

https://www.amazon.com/Dualplex-Neoprene-Adhesive-Perfect-Cosplay/dp/B07WVQF1DF/ref=sr_1_3

#11 2 years ago

I have scraps of sound deadening material for cars that’s really thin and dense. You’re more than welcome to them if you want. Seems to really absorb ball hits. I dropped the ball from about 2’ on my pool table

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Pinbits sold a 1' x 6' strip of self adhesive high density foam for $2.50 each for years. No limit on how many you could order. I suspect another reputable supplier will stock something similar soon and it won't cost $20 a square inch.

Pinbits foam was perfect for pinball, so let's hope the new supplier gets the same stuff.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Pinbits sold a 1' x 6' strip of self adhesive high density foam for $2.50 each for years. No limit on how many you could order. I suspect another reputable supplier will stock something similar soon and it won't cost $20 a square inch.
    Pinbits foam was perfect for pinball, so let's hope the new supplier gets the same stuff.

I was just kidding around but with pinflation $2.50 years ago is now $25 so maybe i wasnt kidding...

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

sorbothane. It seems expensive ...

Is expensive. Search Google or Ebay for cheaper ? It's the stuff I got. Not cheap, does work. A little goes a long way.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It seems expensive ...

Comes out to 58 cents per square inch. Cut 'em up, sell 'em to Mando owners for five bucks each. Cha-ching!

#17 2 years ago

Can you use the foam that is used on standup targets on wpc games

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Can you use the foam that is used on standup targets on wpc games

No, it bounces/cushions. Isn't drop dead.

#19 2 years ago

I have used the thick two sided tape to reduce bounce-outs. YMMV.

It is easy to apply directly onto the blue nubs. They are spongy yet thin enough to soften the impact.

And the sticky surface adds another level of deadening to reduce the rebound of a hard hit ball.

20210715_130754 (resized).jpg20210715_130754 (resized).jpg
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I was just kidding around but with pinflation $2.50 years ago is now $25 so maybe i wasnt kidding...

I'm buying one now. I'll let you guys know if it works.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It seems expensive ...

Only in this hobby could sometime with 18 pinball machines and Kuro TV's not want to spend $20 on a part

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:Only in this hobby could sometime with 18 pinball machines and Kuro TV's not want to spend $20 on a part
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"372690f5c79a8eed6cdac000fca8be96a883c879-1626393428-1800"};
    //]]>

I think it's normal not wanting to spend $20 on a 25 cent piece of foam.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I think it's normal not wanting to spend $20 on a 25 cent piece of foam.

It was never 25 cents from Pinbits and it's not just regular foam. Plus a 6x6 is a large piece and you are paying for the size of it as well. You found a solution that worked for you so great and maybe you could send him a piece of the double sided tape too try out.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

It was never 25 cents from Pinbits and it's not just regular foam. You found a solution that worked for you so great and maybe you could send him a piece of the double sided tape too try out.

Yeah chooch, excellent suggestion. Thank you.

I was just offering an inexpensive alternative that is readily available which worked well for me.

I didn't mean to take away from Pinbits' highly profitable dead foam division.

1 month later
    #25 2 years ago

I found this at a local hardware store. It solved all of my Merlin scoop bounce outs.

If you are in a place in the world that doesn't sell it, pay for shipping and I'll send you a piece.

20210820_000837 (resized).jpg20210820_000837 (resized).jpg
    #26 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I found this at a local hardware store. It solved all of my Merlin scoop bounce outs.
    If you are in a place in the world that doesn't sell it, pay for shipping and I'll send you a piece.
    [quoted image]

Most hardware stores carry that soft spongy stuff. It's not really the right material for replacing dead drop foam, unfortunately.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most hardware stores carry that soft spongy stuff. It's not really the right material for replacing dead drop foam, unfortunately.

This isn't soft: it is dense, closed cell foam. They should have changed the larger part of the labeling. One thing is for certain, it solved my issue. I don't care what they called it.

20210820_000837 (resized).jpg20210820_000837 (resized).jpg
    #28 2 years ago

Gottlieb used velcro, the hooked side not the fuzzy side to reduce bouncing on ball returns.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Gottlieb used velcro, the hooked side not the fuzzy side to reduce bouncing on ball returns.

Crazy. I have that on my Monte Carlo. Assumed it was something someone did after the fact. Didn’t know it was factory.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

This isn't soft: it is dense, closed cell foam. They should have changed the larger part of the labeling. One thing is for certain, it solved my issue. I don't care what they called it. [quoted image]

I don't care what they call it either - i could use a 6" piece for Indiana Jones and T2 if you don't mind -

i have about an 80% failure rate when I whiz the ball up the left orbit on T2 up to the top rollovers.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Crazy. I have that on my Monte Carlo. Assumed it was something someone did after the fact. Didn’t know it was factory.

Yup, my Spring Break had a chunk on the apron for ball return.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I don't care what they call it either - i could use a 6" piece for Indiana Jones and T2 if you don't mind -
    i have about an 80% failure rate when I whiz the ball up the left orbit on T2 up to the top rollovers.

I've got an appointment in Canton today. Send me a PM, maybe I can drop it off. Heck, I'll install it. Otherwise, I found it at Lowe's. Just be sure to read the fine print, and do a compression test with your fingers.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I've got an appointment in Canton today. Send me a PM, maybe I can drop it off. Heck, I'll install it. Otherwise, I found it at Lowe's. Just be sure to read the fine print, and do a compression test with your fingers.

Copy that -

#34 2 years ago

I'm thinking there's probably some exact (or almost exact) self adhesive foam duplicate of what Pinbits was offering for dead drop foam at McMaster-Carr's online website (mcmaster.com) under "self adhesive foam". The next time I need some I plan on ordering some samples from them to see if I can get close or an exact match.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Yup, my Spring Break had a chunk on the apron for ball return.

Velcro is everywhere too, I throw chunks of the stuff out at work. Always in some kit or other that comes in.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'm thinking there's probably some exact (or almost exact) self adhesive foam duplicate of what Pinbits was offering for dead drop foam at McMaster-Carr's online website (mcmaster.com) under "self adhesive foam". The next time I need some I plan on ordering some samples from them to see if I can get close or an exact match.

That was my next source if I couldn't find something local that worked. Their selection of parts is amazing. I honestly wasn't expecting to find anything dense or thin enough to work at the hardware store. There are only so many companies that make adhesive foam, and I'm sure none of them market to pinball. Do you have any of the original stuff left? Is the backing marked?

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

Do you have any of the original stuff left? Is the backing marked?

I have a small amount left, but the white backing has no identifying marks on it all.

2 months later
    #38 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I used this on my Hook tonight, have had problems with rejects on the VUK at the clock shot since I got the game. Used to be 50% or more of the clean shots would reject. Got to where I always purposefully tried to rattle it in by hitting a rail on the way up. After some game testing I would say I’m at more like 25% of the clean shots get rejected so it’s an improvement.
    Funny thing is on my Lethal Weapon 3 I don’t think I have ever had a reject.
    The VUK cap does look newer on my LW3, but Hook doesn’t really look worn, does a new fresh VUK cap help hold them in?

3 months later
    #39 2 years ago

My Velcro fix isn’t lasting. Now any direct shot to the VUK is a super hard and fast reject. Only way you can get it to stick is for it to clip something by on the left or right on the way up. Any sources for dead drop foam right now?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-buy-dead-drop-foam?hl=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.