Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 618 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chooch
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E6C1A7C7-2F76-4B9D-9C39-EABCF31D85B4.jpeg
    jesus.gif
    A49A3096-3081-44FE-B298-F91964B1D8D7 (resized).jpeg
    3ac58185940444059456c09ed2c10ba7 (resized).jpg
    7B7523F3-0BAF-436C-9FCA-2913B695241C (resized).jpeg
    3BC79479-5199-4E58-832E-50FA2EB90D92 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0010 (resized).jpg
    IMGA0699 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0698 (resized).JPG
    E7D846CA-9ECF-4178-B397-2EFD31499B46 (resized).png
    IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
    Carbon vs Chrome (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon 2 (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_142022782 (resized).jpg
    20170911_180400 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

Hey guys -
    I decided to call The Ball Baron and had a very long convo that you might be interested to hear about....
    This guy is the real deal, a ball expert. Has been in the ball bearing industry for many years supplying balls for many businesses for non-pinball applications. He explained how the balls are formulated, etc. Interesting stuff. In a nutshell, these chrome G10 balls I linked to are as close to the gold standard as you'll find. They are within 1/10,000th of the 1-1/16th spec. The amount of polish needed to get the ball to that tolerance is how they come out so damn shiny. He said it would be very difficult to find a ball shinier than these. If NASA or the Hubble telescope needed ball bearings of a specific size within a micron level of tolerance, they'd use these.
    He is in the process of formulating carbon steel balls that are as shiny as possible without the magnetic issues than can occur with chrome balls. He made the disclaimer that due to the lack of nickel in carbon steel balls, it is impossible for them to polish as shiny as chrome steel balls - it is just physically impossible. But he is quite confident his carbon steel balls will be the shiniest out there. He's going to let me know as soon as his carbon steel balls are finished and I'll post here when that happens.

Completely agree...just received 20 from him, and they look amazing. I'm now panicked, however, thinking these were carbon steel (most of my games have magnets of sorts). Are the one's he's selling now Chrome? drats....overlooked that part.....

(edit - drats!!! just looked at his ad, and glazed over the chrome part, right there in the description....)

#101 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

To be totally honest with you, I use chrome balls in all of my machines and the only time I've ever seen retained magnetism is when a magnet happens to catch and hold two balls during multiball. After the magnet turns off they 'stick' there and you just gotta bump the machine and they come down. Other than, never noticed any issues with chrome balls in magnet heavy games like Metallica, TAF, etc. Try em out first and see what happens.

From experience...put silverjets in my WOZ, and it went ape s**t!!! Put in carbon...life good....probably depends on the game....won't venture in TZ, but may give them a whirl in some of the others...

4 months later
    #321 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

Just an update - Ninja balls now collectively have 2,000+ plays in a host of magnetized games with no magnetism issues to report. Can't speak for other balls, but hundreds of games in, the Ninja balls are not affected by magnetism in these games: Dialed In, Metallica, Star Wars Premium, The Addams Family, and The Shadow - in addition to any game w/o magnets. Ball Baron continues to solicit and monitor for reports of issues with these balls and magnetism but to date none have been reported.
    If you experience issues with the Ninja Balls and magnetism, definitely post here with the game in question and how it occurred. If you use the balls in a game not listed above that uses magnets and have experienced no issues after at least 100 plays, I encourage you to post here so it can be added to the 'safe' game list.

WOZ is the only game I own that absolutely goes nuts w Chrome balls. TZ gets problematic on the loop near the spiral magnets pretty quick. TAF was fine, but I don't want to keep 2 stockpiles of balls. The G10 carbons were gorgeous, and shiney enough for me....I change pretty regular (4 months or so) as they all get scratched, and worry about pf wear....

4 months later
    #452 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I will have a new stock of Carbon balls within the next 30 days. You van always visit ballbaron.com and check for inventory updates and read the blog.

counting the days, pinbud.....I can take a little less shiny for carbon....some of my machines simply can't handle the chrome....

1 month later
    #459 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I can finally announce that ball baron.com is fully stocked with Carbon Pinballs: https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon/
    Standard Chrome Pinballs: https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-chrome/
    and of course the Ninja: https://ballbaron.com/product/ninja-super-shiny-chrome-pinball-g10/
    No purchase limits.

BAMM!!!! order placed...thank you....mark

#462 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So carbon are for games with magnets and ninjas are for games that don't have magnets? Is that accurate?

Yep...

#478 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

the deal with carbon vs Chrome is a debate thet may never have a sttled winner. Some guys on here have played hundreds of game with the dialed In game and had no issue with the Ninja becoming magnetized. Ther have found the balls being effected within just a few games. It's a foregone conclusion that the Carbons are less effected by a large percentage but because the carbon ball is softer by it's molecular make up, it won't last as long before becoming dull. I'm working on a demagnetizer and you should ask around the forum to see if you will benefit fron obtaining a trough protector. Hope this helps a little.

Very cool on the demagnetizer....

#479 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I'm happy to say that the balls I washed the oil off of and shined are very nice. High shine and reflexion. Tell me whaich way you want them. If you're going to store them I suggest leaving the oil on until use. For orders of 10 or less, I clean them up first because I figure a smaller number will probably get put in use right away.

Leave mine in the light oil please....I am going to put 6 of the carbon into AlienLE immediately, however....mark

#483 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

That being said anyone try on wcs 94?

I've had a set of his prior carbon run in there...work great.,..

#487 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Just got some of the carbon balls from Ball Baron. The quality seems decent and comparable to other carbon balls I found on the web. They do not appear as shiny as pinballlife's oh so shiny balls that are no longer being sold. I miss those pinballlife ones.

I actually got my carbon and Ninjas today....was blown away on how well the carbon cleaned up and shined....staggering, actually...very happy....

#490 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok. In all fairness, I probably need to clean them better, but I did rub one down a bit. I have no complaints. It is just that the oh so shiny ones really were exceptional.

I thought the same thing..then used some alcohol and was amazed....

1 week later
    #508 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I understand what your saying and I think that is why the carbon has been so elusive lately. I am going to find an American manufacturer and find out exactly what the metal compound needs to be to get both no magnetism and a shine...wish me luck because I doubt it will be cheap enough to go forward with.

I wonder if I grabbed the wrong bag, or my eyes are bad...swear the carbons looked exceptional to me after I cleaned them,...you can tell from the initial look how shiney the ninjas are, but I was pleasantly surprised how nice the carbon turned out.,...

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I actually agree with you. I bought both ninja & carbons and it took me a minute to realize which bag was which.

So...I took out 3 of the Ninja's and polished them up (for Creech)...in fairness they were a bit shiner than the carbon...but truthfully, the carbon looks great...better than what I had in there before....I think the "color" of shine on the Ninja is incredible, but those carbons are nothing to sneeze at ( and work great in my games...)....

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You guys are all talking about one thing ....the shine. You can shine up a carbon all you like and you'll still have a ball that still not as hard as a chrome. If anything a shiny carbon willl show wear faster then a chrome "because" of the shine. If I'm wrong about all this someone please correct me.

True, but games w magnets (some of them) are simply unplayable w the Chrome.....truth of the matter....they all dull and get nicked over time, so changing is going to happen regardless...I was extremely happy how great the carbon balls looked, knowing I'd have zero issues in my games w magnets...

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

There is a night and day difference between the Ninja and the carbon. Very obvious. That's why the Ninja has a name and the carbon ball is just "the carbon one"....it doesn't deserve a name.

Harsh....

I call them "the very shiney ones that work in my games that Ninjas don't"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-are-you-buying-balls-from?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.