Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 618 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chooch
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E6C1A7C7-2F76-4B9D-9C39-EABCF31D85B4.jpeg
    jesus.gif
    A49A3096-3081-44FE-B298-F91964B1D8D7 (resized).jpeg
    3ac58185940444059456c09ed2c10ba7 (resized).jpg
    7B7523F3-0BAF-436C-9FCA-2913B695241C (resized).jpeg
    3BC79479-5199-4E58-832E-50FA2EB90D92 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0010 (resized).jpg
    IMGA0699 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0698 (resized).JPG
    E7D846CA-9ECF-4178-B397-2EFD31499B46 (resized).png
    IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
    Carbon vs Chrome (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon 2 (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_142022782 (resized).jpg
    20170911_180400 (resized).jpg
    There are 618 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.
    #551 5 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Anyone sell 1” balls anymore? Would like to try them in Safecracker. Rumor is that’s the original spec & it plays better....?

Contact ballbaron he’s your man. Saw some 1” balls on his website. I’m sure he can take care of what you want.

3 weeks later
    #552 5 years ago

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this. All the balls on my games shoot differently. To hit ramp X for example ball X needs to be at the tip of the flipper. Next ball identical shot and speed ball needs to be higher up on flipper to hit it. Is this normal? I thought all balls were made perfectly equal. It makes consistency during gameplay very difficult. I'm using PL super shineys and they are in excellent physical condition. Is there a maker with more consistent tolerances for their balls. Or is this guessing game just part of pinball?

#553 5 years ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this. All the balls on my games shoot differently. To hit ramp X for example ball X needs to be at the tip of the flipper. Next ball identical shot and speed ball needs to be higher up on flipper to hit it. Is this normal? I thought all balls were made perfectly equal. It makes consistency during gameplay very difficult. I'm using PL super shineys and they are in excellent physical condition. Is there a maker with more consistent tolerances for their balls. Or is this guessing game just part of pinball?

That doesn't sound right at all. Are these all in the same game? There may be a slight difference, but there should never be that much. If you think the balls are the problem you can try weighing them.

From your description it sounds like the flippers may be the culprit, have they been rebuilt?

#554 5 years ago

Definitely not inconsistencies in the balls. It's the flippers.

#555 5 years ago

Yes all balls are in the same games. It's been this way for both of my machines since they were new. I've marked a couple of the balls in question. Particularly the ones that require different positions on the flippers. And the marked ones are always the balls that shoot differently. It's not a huge difference...maybe an 1/8" or so position on the flipper bat up or down.

#556 5 years ago

It's not weight. Could be minute differences in surface friction, but if the balls are shiny and without blemishes, that would not be the reason

#557 5 years ago

It's likely the flippers. Either the coil sleeve is dirty or with recent games from JJP and Stern, the coil power is modulated via software and may be varying a bit on your machine.

#558 5 years ago

I'll check my flippers and weigh the balls. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

3 months later
    #559 5 years ago

OK - All you carbon ball users have been seeing the supplies and vendors dwindle as of late and it's partly due to the tariffs and partly due to quality.
    No manufacturer in the US is willing to make a carbon ball because of the cost for tooling vs the production output. It's not like automobile or other mechanical applications where millions are required weekly. The pinball crowd has a demand level that just isn't big enough to be paid much attention to by the manufacturers here in the states. This is why China gets the bulk of the business.
    My last order from overseas was a batch that required me to "plate" or visually inspect the balls one at a time. The inspection should have been done at the plant but that's another story.
    I have 3 flats of balls left and I want to clear the shelves and Not inspect them myself. The fire sale starts now and there is going to be any offering for 3 lots of 50 lbs each. That's somewhere in the vicinity of 300 balls per flat, give or take. If you have quality levels like mine, you are going to find about 30-35% of the balls won't pass the visual exam. That is why I am offering each of these 3 lots at $60.00 ( about 20 cents per ball) plus shipping of $13.00. This is a one time only sale and will not be repeated with new stock when I get it. Contact me directly at info@ballbaron if you are interested. Remember - I'm offering these because I don't have time nor do I wish to inspect ONE MORE BALL. You buy them and you can do it. You won't be getting balls I have already rejected, you'll get them fresh from China, just as I did. It's time for some-one else to go cross-eyed...I'm tired. You can call me if you want. I'm up till 11pm east coast time. 678-696-5302 - David

7 months later
    #560 4 years ago

ALoha Guys,

Looking over this thread, lots to read. At the end of the day who now has the best shiny balls and at a good price.

Thanks for the help .

#561 4 years ago

Ball baron.

#563 4 years ago

If your putting in a game that doesn’t have magnets then Yes. If game has magnets stick with Carbon Steel and not the Chromium/chrome ones.

#564 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

If your putting in a game that doesn’t have magnets then Yes. If game has magnets stick with Carbon Steel and not the Chromium/chrome ones.

Going in ACDC Luci and JP2 LE. 10 balls total is only $15.00 ...wow...

Marco for 10 balls is $35.00......huge difference..

Would you mind telling me why it's more than double?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-SJ5

Thanks for the help guys.

#565 4 years ago
    Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Because it’s Marco, nothing against them as they have a great selection of pinball products.
    Now back to - do your two games have any magnets during gameplay?
    I believe AC/DC does so those aren’t the type of balls you want in there.

#566 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Because it’s Marco, nothing against them as they have a great selection of pinball products.
    Now back to - do your two games have any magnets during gameplay?
    I believe AC/DC does so those aren’t the type of balls you want in there.

No neither machine has magnets..

So all good to go with ordering 10 balls from BB.

#567 4 years ago

If anyone in the MPLS/St Paul area needs balls I have Ball Barron Ninja's for sale, $1.50 each. Pick up only.

#568 4 years ago

No neither machine has magnets..
    So all good to go with ordering 10 balls from BB.

How does the ball go into dinosaur mouth on LE? I thought it was a magnet.

#569 4 years ago

No, neither machine has magnets ...

Technically, AC/DC Luci does have a magnet. Isn't that how the bell moves? I'm not sure it's really a factor in this case, though, since it doesn't directly interact with the balls.

#570 4 years ago
    Quoted from supermoot:

How does the ball go into dinosaur mouth on LE? I thought it was a magnet.

Damn you are correct. That damn tiny magnet . I guess no shiny balls for me. LOL.

#571 4 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Grab up the towel at both ends and form it into a hammock shape. Now rock the hammock from one end to the other, so the balls slide back and forth along the length of the towel. 10 - 15 seconds is plenty.

jesus.gifjesus.gif

#572 4 years ago

Damn you are correct. That damn tiny magnet . I guess no shiny balls for me. LOL.

FWIW, the Ninjas work just fine in TAF after hundreds of games, and it has a similar pickup mech to JP's dino. It also has the "power" though these magnets being under the playfield do not transfer any noticeable magnetism to the balls.

#573 4 years ago

Balls in general lately have been expensive!

#575 4 years ago

I bought this little pyramid thingy in Chicago and it needs 30 balls. It's for a coffee table or in your Cave. Looks cool.

Thanks for the heads up on pinball life sale.

30 balls $15.00- Shipping $15.00 lol

#576 4 years ago

I bought this little pyramid thingy in Chicago and it needs 30 balls. It's for a coffee table or in your Cave. Looks cool.
    Thanks for the heads up on pinball life sale.
    30 balls $15.00- Shipping $15.00 lol

You bet. I can’t find a single thing wrong with them

#577 4 years ago

Just bought a set of Titan Pinball's "Super Shiny" after running Silverjets from Marco. Look just as - if not more - shiny and so far very happy with them, at half the price.

#578 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

FWIW, the Ninjas work just fine in TAF after hundreds of games, and it has a similar pickup mech to JP's dino. It also has the "power" though these magnets being under the playfield do not transfer any noticeable magnetism to the balls.

Hmm...........so maybe my dream of shiny balls are back.

Thanks for the input.

3 months later
    #579 4 years ago

3 words - POLARIS Carbon Pinballs
    Available now.

#580 4 years ago

Does anyone take used pinballs? Rather give em out then just throw them away. Seems like a waste.

#582 4 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

Don't just give away valuable items...
    ebay.com link » Bally Centaur 1981 Pinball Misc Hardware Used

People would really buy used pinballs? lol, im not believing it hahah

#583 4 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Available now.

Are they different than the standard non chrome balls in any way, or did you just give them a name now? I'm ordering some either way from you, just curious.

#584 4 years ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Are they different than the standard non chrome balls in any way, or did you just give them a name now? I'm ordering some either way from you, just curious.

Yeah, I just ordered some as well, but I was wondering whether these were different than the old carbon steel balls. Either way, I need some.

#585 4 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Available now.

Just tried ordering. Said you weren’t shipping to Georgia. I've ordered from you before. Help!!

3 months later
    #586 3 years ago

Attention Ballers! You've been wondering when and the time has come. July 1 starts the Independence Day Sale and all three pinball options will be discounted a whopping 17.76%.(prices rounded up or down hit whole numbers) The sale include Ninja, Polaris Carbon and Standard Chrome pinballs with a limit of 50 per purchase. No coupon code necessary, just visit ballbaron.com and make your purchase. Sale starts July 1 and ends July 7

#587 3 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Attention Ballers! You've been wondering when and the time has come. July 1 starts the Independence Day Sale and all three pinball options will be discounted a whopping 17.76%.(prices rounded up or down hit whole numbers) The sale include Ninja, Polaris Carbon and Standard Chrome pinballs with a limit of 50 per purchase. No coupon code necessary, just visit ballbaron.com and make your purchase. Sale starts July 1 and ends July 7

man i just bought 50 balls the other day from another seller. I wish I would have waited!

#588 3 years ago

As these deals available for international customers too?

Quoted from ballbaron:

#589 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Yeah, I just ordered some as well, but I was wondering whether these were different than the old carbon steel balls. Either way, I need some.

I didn’t see an answer to this.
    Ballbaron....the Polaris balls seem to be something new(?). Are they as shiny as the carbon chrome balls or can you advise the difference?

#590 3 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Just to be clear 50 total or 50 per type of ball?
    Thanks,

#591 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

I didn’t see an answer to this.
    Ballbaron....the Polaris balls seem to be something new(?). Are they as shiny as the carbon chrome balls or can you advise the difference?

I got some, but haven’t used them yet. They are packed with a lot of oil, so I can’t tell how shiny they are. My guess is that they are the same as the old carbon steel balls he used to sell just branded differently. But Ball Barron will need to tell us for sure.

#592 3 years ago
    Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Just to be clear 50 total or 50 per type of ball?
    Thanks,

He advised me 50 per type of ball.
    He will combine shipping and correct any invoice discounts.

#593 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I got some, but haven’t used them yet. They are packed with a lot of oil, so I can’t tell how shiny they are. My guess is that they are the same as the old carbon steel balls he used to sell just branded differently. But Ball Barron will need to tell us for sure.

Thanks. If you dust them off let us know.

#594 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks. If you dust them off let us know.

I will. I had more balls from a prior shipment than I realized so it may be a little bit.

#595 3 years ago

Is there a proper method of cleaning the oil off the pinballs before use (e.g. dawn dish detergent)? Curious about what works best before playing. Tks.

#596 3 years ago

I apply rubbing alcohol to a paper towel, then dry with a clean paper towel. Straight from there to the trough, no touchey!

#597 3 years ago
    Quoted from Westsiderkg:

Is there a proper method of cleaning the oil off the pinballs before use (e.g. dawn dish detergent)? Curious about what works best before playing. Tks.

I wipe them off with isopropyl alcohol than use a little wax buffed with a microfiber cloth.

#598 3 years ago

I use Mothers

E6C1A7C7-2F76-4B9D-9C39-EABCF31D85B4.jpegE6C1A7C7-2F76-4B9D-9C39-EABCF31D85B4.jpeg
    #599 3 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Just bought a 50 pack

#600 3 years ago

The Polaris balls are carbon, but from a different supplier than his previous ones. He feels these are better. But the Ninja is where it's at.

There are 618 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-are-you-buying-balls-from/page/12?hl=ballbaron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.