2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 559 posts
  • 152 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by ballbaron
  • Topic is favorited by 107 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 38 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A49A3096-3081-44FE-B298-F91964B1D8D7 (resized).jpeg
    3ac58185940444059456c09ed2c10ba7 (resized).jpg
    7B7523F3-0BAF-436C-9FCA-2913B695241C (resized).jpeg
    3BC79479-5199-4E58-832E-50FA2EB90D92 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0010 (resized).jpg
    IMGA0699 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0698 (resized).JPG
    E7D846CA-9ECF-4178-B397-2EFD31499B46 (resized).png
    IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
    Carbon vs Chrome (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon 2 (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_142022782 (resized).jpg
    20170911_180400 (resized).jpg
    balls-compare (resized).jpg
    PinballCarbonSteel (resized).jpg

There are 559 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
    #551 6 months ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Anyone sell 1” balls anymore? Would like to try them in Safecracker. Rumor is that’s the original spec & it plays better....?

Contact ballbaron he’s your man. Saw some 1” balls on his website. I’m sure he can take care of what you want.

3 weeks later
    #552 5 months ago

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this. All the balls on my games shoot differently. To hit ramp X for example ball X needs to be at the tip of the flipper. Next ball identical shot and speed ball needs to be higher up on flipper to hit it. Is this normal? I thought all balls were made perfectly equal. It makes consistency during gameplay very difficult. I'm using PL super shineys and they are in excellent physical condition. Is there a maker with more consistent tolerances for their balls. Or is this guessing game just part of pinball?

#553 5 months ago
    Quoted from thundergod76:

Hopefully someone can give me some insight on this. All the balls on my games shoot differently. To hit ramp X for example ball X needs to be at the tip of the flipper. Next ball identical shot and speed ball needs to be higher up on flipper to hit it. Is this normal? I thought all balls were made perfectly equal. It makes consistency during gameplay very difficult. I'm using PL super shineys and they are in excellent physical condition. Is there a maker with more consistent tolerances for their balls. Or is this guessing game just part of pinball?

That doesn't sound right at all. Are these all in the same game? There may be a slight difference, but there should never be that much. If you think the balls are the problem you can try weighing them.

From your description it sounds like the flippers may be the culprit, have they been rebuilt?

#554 5 months ago

Definitely not inconsistencies in the balls. It's the flippers.

#555 5 months ago

Yes all balls are in the same games. It's been this way for both of my machines since they were new. I've marked a couple of the balls in question. Particularly the ones that require different positions on the flippers. And the marked ones are always the balls that shoot differently. It's not a huge difference...maybe an 1/8" or so position on the flipper bat up or down.

#556 5 months ago

It's not weight. Could be minute differences in surface friction, but if the balls are shiny and without blemishes, that would not be the reason

#557 5 months ago

It's likely the flippers. Either the coil sleeve is dirty or with recent games from JJP and Stern, the coil power is modulated via software and may be varying a bit on your machine.

#558 5 months ago

I'll check my flippers and weigh the balls. Thanks guys for the suggestions.

3 months later
    #559 63 days ago

OK - All you carbon ball users have been seeing the supplies and vendors dwindle as of late and it's partly due to the tariffs and partly due to quality.
    No manufacturer in the US is willing to make a carbon ball because of the cost for tooling vs the production output. It's not like automobile or other mechanical applications where millions are required weekly. The pinball crowd has a demand level that just isn't big enough to be paid much attention to by the manufacturers here in the states. This is why China gets the bulk of the business.
    My last order from overseas was a batch that required me to "plate" or visually inspect the balls one at a time. The inspection should have been done at the plant but that's another story.
    I have 3 flats of balls left and I want to clear the shelves and Not inspect them myself. The fire sale starts now and there is going to be any offering for 3 lots of 50 lbs each. That's somewhere in the vicinity of 300 balls per flat, give or take. If you have quality levels like mine, you are going to find about 30-35% of the balls won't pass the visual exam. That is why I am offering each of these 3 lots at $60.00 ( about 20 cents per ball) plus shipping of $13.00. This is a one time only sale and will not be repeated with new stock when I get it. Contact me directly at info@ballbaron if you are interested. Remember - I'm offering these because I don't have time nor do I wish to inspect ONE MORE BALL. You buy them and you can do it. You won't be getting balls I have already rejected, you'll get them fresh from China, just as I did. It's time for some-one else to go cross-eyed...I'm tired. You can call me if you want. I'm up till 11pm east coast time. 678-696-5302 - David

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 142.11
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    There are 559 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside