Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 618 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chooch
  • Topic is favorited by 108 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E6C1A7C7-2F76-4B9D-9C39-EABCF31D85B4.jpeg
    jesus.gif
    A49A3096-3081-44FE-B298-F91964B1D8D7 (resized).jpeg
    3ac58185940444059456c09ed2c10ba7 (resized).jpg
    7B7523F3-0BAF-436C-9FCA-2913B695241C (resized).jpeg
    3BC79479-5199-4E58-832E-50FA2EB90D92 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0010 (resized).jpg
    IMGA0699 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0698 (resized).JPG
    E7D846CA-9ECF-4178-B397-2EFD31499B46 (resized).png
    IMG_0039 (resized).JPG
    Carbon vs Chrome (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon 2 (resized).jpg
    Polished vs Unpolished Carbon (resized).jpg
    IMG_20170911_142022782 (resized).jpg
    20170911_180400 (resized).jpg
    There are 618 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.
    #501 5 years ago

Ok I ordered 16 of the Ninjas and a half dozen carbon balls too.

I'll the the Ninjas in my AFMr classic, Iron Maiden Pro and Game of Thrones Pro.

I'll try the carbons in another game.

#502 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Anybody try the Ball Baron Ninjas in an Attack From Mars Remake ? Haven' tried any Ninja's yet. Thinking about trying a set of these.

Ninjas are excellent John. I have a PETG trough protector in ToM and they work great!

#503 5 years ago

Just ordered a dozen Ninjas this morning

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok. In all fairness, I probably need to clean them better, but I did rub one down a bit. I have no complaints. It is just that the oh so shiny ones really were exceptional.

I understand what your saying and I think that is why the carbon has been so elusive lately. I am going to find an American manufacturer and find out exactly what the metal compound needs to be to get both no magnetism and a shine...wish me luck because I doubt it will be cheap enough to go forward with.

#505 5 years ago

Thanks to you ALL for continuing to make me your source. I'm not completely satified with the carbons I got but I couldn't make you wait any longer. There has to be a better answer and I am now in search of a better metal compound to take the place of the carbon and provide a more 'bullet proof' solution.

#506 5 years ago

Wow. I think it is safe to say Ball Baron has some of the best customer support in all of pinball. Resolves issue in a snap, and is a great guy to talk to!

#507 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I understand what your saying and I think that is why the carbon has been so elusive lately. I am going to find an American manufacturer and find out exactly what the metal compound needs to be to get both no magnetism and a shine...wish me luck because I doubt it will be cheap enough to go forward with.

I may only be speaking for myself, but I would certainly pay a little more per ball for a little more shine on the carbon ones. Anyway, thanks for the support for this industry. You've always been very responsive in this thread.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I wonder if I grabbed the wrong bag, or my eyes are bad...swear the carbons looked exceptional to me after I cleaned them,...you can tell from the initial look how shiney the ninjas are, but I was pleasantly surprised how nice the carbon turned out.,...

#509 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I wonder if I grabbed the wrong bag, or my eyes are bad...swear the carbons looked exceptional to me after I cleaned them,...you can tell from the initial look how shiney the ninjas are, but I was pleasantly surprised how nice the carbon turned out.,...

I actually agree with you. I bought both ninja & carbons and it took me a minute to realize which bag was which.

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

I actually agree with you. I bought both ninja & carbons and it took me a minute to realize which bag was which.

So...I took out 3 of the Ninja's and polished them up (for Creech)...in fairness they were a bit shiner than the carbon...but truthfully, the carbon looks great...better than what I had in there before....I think the "color" of shine on the Ninja is incredible, but those carbons are nothing to sneeze at ( and work great in my games...)....

#511 5 years ago

My new box of carbons look pretty damn good with just a quick buff by hand

#512 5 years ago

You guys are all talking about one thing ....the shine. You can shine up a carbon all you like and you'll still have a ball that still not as hard as a chrome. If anything a shiny carbon willl show wear faster then a chrome "because" of the shine. If I'm wrong about all this someone please correct me.

#513 5 years ago

The Baron ROCKS!! Sent me some shiny as shit Carbons because a few had some dents. Buy with confidence.

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You guys are all talking about one thing ....the shine. You can shine up a carbon all you like and you'll still have a ball that still not as hard as a chrome. If anything a shiny carbon willl show wear faster then a chrome "because" of the shine. If I'm wrong about all this someone please correct me.

You are correct, a carbon is not as hard as a chrome. But shiny is always better to start with. When there are magnets in the machine, you need carbons because they resist becoming magnetized. I run the chromes in my machines that don't have magnets.

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

True, but games w magnets (some of them) are simply unplayable w the Chrome.....truth of the matter....they all dull and get nicked over time, so changing is going to happen regardless...I was extremely happy how great the carbon balls looked, knowing I'd have zero issues in my games w magnets...

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

+1, I'm pretty happy with my order of carbon balls too. I never had a ninja ball, to compare the two,so what do I know.

#517 5 years ago

There is a night and day difference between the Ninja and the carbon. Very obvious. That's why the Ninja has a name and the carbon ball is just "the carbon one"....it doesn't deserve a name.

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

There is a night and day difference between the Ninja and the carbon. Very obvious. That's why the Ninja has a name and the carbon ball is just "the carbon one"....it doesn't deserve a name.

Harsh....

I call them "the very shiney ones that work in my games that Ninjas don't"

#519 5 years ago

Has anyone had problems with their balls rusting? I bought some off ebay just a couple months ago and they are rusted so bad I cant play the games anymore.

#520 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Has anyone had problems with their balls rusting? I bought some off ebay just a couple months ago and they are rusted so bad I cant play the games anymore.

Anything else on your game rusting? Or just the balls?

#521 5 years ago

Just the balls and the ones I had in them before, for a long time, had no rust on them. They were just dinged up.

#522 5 years ago

Found your problem
    Just about everything on there is super junk nowadays

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You're absolutely right. Carbon is softer and I've made no secret of that. All you're doing is trading off durability for a ball that has better functionality in a machine with magnetic features. The upside is - if they start off with a better shine, they may last a little longer before you get sick of looking at them.

#524 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

ha ha! I was gonna name the carbon ball "The Bastard Stepchild" but that's too long. Come up with a name..I'll entertain all submissions.

#525 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Just the balls and the ones I had in them before, for a long time, had no rust on them. They were just dinged up.

Steel will rust unless it is protected with oil. If the balls sat around in dry storage before they were put in the machine, that could be where the corrosion began. If the machine sits idle for weeks, the balls are using that time to 'find' corrosion. Balls that are constantly used are less likely to see a rapid advance of rust. Rule of thumb... "a rolling stone gathers no moss"

#526 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

there's no telling how long the eBay balls sat around before they were shipped to you. That's why I leave the balls with the oil coating until I need the stock and then only enough are cleaned for a week and for small orders. All large orders remain in the protective coating even when they ship because I figure some of them will be stored for future use.It's like Coach used to say..."protect your balls"

#527 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Wow. I think it is safe to say Ball Baron has some of the best customer support in all of pinball. Resolves issue in a snap, and is a great guy to talk to!

I'm humbled - Thank you very much for the public vote of confidence. Very much appreciated.

#528 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

For the record...
    310 balls+box equals:

I honestly thought it’d be heavier.
    Guess that measly number doesn’t qualify me for the Pinside powerlifter thread.

That's hilarious! I'm happy to see they arrived with only a bit of box bashing. You do hold the record for the most in one box, so there's that...

#529 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Titan, baby!
    However, I believe they are currently out of stock.

I will never be out of stock with the Ninjas. Three separate source and rotational ordering insures that even if I get a bad bunch, theres are sources to fall back on. Give them a spin.

#530 5 years ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

It’s def the trough kicker that is taking nicks out of the ball. I sacrificed one of my new ninja chrome balls to it. I’ll have to sand down the edges of it and polish it like every other piece in the game

If you're still having issues, I can send you a trough protector. I bought a dozen just to have in stock for when the other suppliers run out.

#531 5 years ago

It's crazy how there really is no rule of thumb. Mrgreg123 has used the ninjas in magnetic games with positive results and long unaffected play. I think the magnetic features are not well regulated and may vary from one machine to the next - even if it is the same brand of machine. If my ninja plays well in one Dialed In game but another Dialed In magnetizes the balls within a week, the variation HAS to be with the magnets because the balls are uniform.
    I'm learning more about Electric Steel and how it works in electromagnets. There are so many chemical variations in the production, that coupled with poorly regulated heat treating, you can end up with hundreds of variations in performance. The science is extremely deep, boring and difficult for a layman to understand. I got a headache just reading about it. I might post the reference if you are having trouble sleeping.

#532 5 years ago

Tried 2 sets of ninjas in my newly acquired Theater of Magic and sadly all eight balls magnetized within, I'd say, 20 games per set. I figured no big deal I'll order a bunch of the newly stocked Carbon with I like and work so well. Out of Stock. Bummer. When do you think you'll have the carbon balls back in stock?

#533 5 years ago

If anyone is coming to the Saratoga show on Aug 10 & 11, I'll have a handful of the carbon steel balls available with me there. I grabbed a few extras the last time I placed an order figuring they might go out of stock again.

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

Steel will rust unless it is protected with oil. If the balls sat around in dry storage before they were put in the machine, that could be where the corrosion began. If the machine sits idle for weeks, the balls are using that time to 'find' corrosion. Balls that are constantly used are less likely to see a rapid advance of rust. Rule of thumb... "a rolling stone gathers no moss"

They were rust free when I put them in the game. I don’t play my games that much but still. The balls that were in it were in it for a long time and they were rust free.

#535 5 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

Tried 2 sets of ninjas in my newly acquired Theater of Magic and sadly all eight balls magnetized within, I'd say, 20 games per set.

WOW. I figure ToM and TAF have very similar magnet usage. The trunk magnet is used for the same duration and in the same manner as the Thing hand magnet. The Hocus Pocus inlane magnets, which never touch the ball, are similar in style and usage to the Power magnets in TAF. I have 630 plays so far on my TAF since I restored it, and last time I put new balls in, 3 Ninjas. Crazy how much variation there is between games.

#536 5 years ago

Do you have a link to the 4" novelty ball on ebay?

#537 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I've been using bctrade on eBay - they have carbon steel and chromium chrome steel balls - very nice finish on both
    ebay.com link » Four 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Balls

Added 17 months ago: Removing this recommendation due to other pinsider having rust issue on half of the balls and magnetized ball on carbon steel.

Im not the only one.

#538 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrgregb123:

WOW. I figure ToM and TAF have very similar magnet usage. The trunk magnet is used for the same duration and in the same manner as the Thing hand magnet. The Hocus Pocus inlane magnets, which never touch the ball, are similar in style and usage to the Power magnets in TAF. I have 630 plays so far on my TAF since I restored it, and last time I put new balls in, 3 Ninjas. Crazy how much variation there is between games.

Yeah it didn’t take long before they were getting stuck in the trough. I didn’t believe it after checking the first set, so I put another set in, checking the balls before putting them in, and the same thing happened. Put the carbons in and everything is good to go.

#539 5 years ago

OK Ballers - Big Ball announcement. I'm running a special from now until the end of august so no-one should miss out.
    Buy 50 Ninjas and use coupon code 'bigball50" and you'll get a 2 inch chrome novelty ball with stand FREE
    Buy 75 Ninjas and use coupon code "bigball75" and you'll get the 2-1/2" novelty ball with stand FREE
    Buy 150 Ninjas and use coupon code "bigballs150" and you'll get both the 4 inch and 2-1/2 inch novelty balls with stands.
    I will add at least one coupon special for Carbon balls in the next few days but you'll have a whole month on that one as well.
    Please not that I am going to begin selling the stands for these balls separately. They are a lot of work to cut, camber, drill, sand and finish, so 5 bucks a piece is fair. You have to option to buy it or not and that way I don't have to raise the price on the novelty balls.
    Spread the word to all your friends - like I said, this will run the full month of August so everyone should have time to see it and take advantage.
    Anyone think I should do a Brass Ball special for the guy who has everything? I've got em.

#540 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Do you have a link to the 4" novelty ball on ebay?

No but I will add one and you should know there are 3 specials running now until the end of August so everyone has time to hear about it and get an order in.
    The coupons only work on the ball baron site but I'll ho=nor them on eBay as well. Get a bigger bang for your shipping dollar.

Buy 50 Ninjas and use coupon code 'bigball50" and you'll get a 2 inch chrome novelty ball with stand FREE
    Buy 75 Ninjas and use coupon code "bigball75" and you'll get the 2-1/2" novelty ball with stand FREE
    Buy 150 Ninjas and use coupon code "bigballs150" and you'll get both the 4 inch and 2-1/2 inch novelty balls with stands.
    I will add at least one coupon special for Carbon balls in the next few days but you'll have a whole month on that one as well.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

No but I will add one and you should know there are 3 specials running now until the end of August so everyone has time to hear about it and get an order in.
    The coupons only work on the ball baron site but I'll ho=nor them on eBay as well. Get a bigger bang for your shipping dollar.

I'm from Canada. Do those promotions still apply? Your site considers us "international" and I'm forced to buy through ebay.

#542 5 years ago

Carbon Balls say back in stock. 20 new balls ordered.

#543 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I'm from Canada. Do those promotions still apply? Your site considers us "international" and I'm forced to buy through ebay.

The reason you are sent to my eBay site is because their Global Shipping Program is cheaper by far for sending objects that have considerable weight. By utilizing them and the USPS Priority Flat Rate service, I can save you about 30% on shipping. You still have customs and import taxes but they are all wrapped into one price which you can see during checkout and before you commit to the purchase....and YES I will honor the special offers on my ballbaron website if you buy through eBay. Just contact me directly at [email protected] and let me know exactly what you want to order. I will then list that combination of items and send you a link so you can easily get to it directly

2 months later
    #544 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Just got some of the carbon balls from Ball Baron. The quality seems decent and comparable to other carbon balls I found on the web. They do not appear as shiny as pinballlife's oh so shiny balls that are no longer being sold. I miss those pinballlife ones.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok. In all fairness, I probably need to clean them better, but I did rub one down a bit. I have no complaints. It is just that the oh so shiny ones really were exceptional.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

I thought the same thing..then used some alcohol and was amazed....

Ok, I'm taking back my words a bit here. I finally had a chance to swap out the balls in my DI. This time, I wiped down the ball baron carbon balls fairly well, and I will now say that they are notably shinier than the carbon balls I previously got on the web.

#545 5 years ago

Any new coupons?

2 weeks later
    #546 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Ok, I'm taking back my words a bit here. I finally had a chance to swap out the balls in my DI. This time, I wiped down the ball baron carbon balls fairly well, and I will now say that they are notably shinier than the carbon balls I previously got on the web.

The BEST way to clean the pinballs once you receive them is as follows:
    Items needed - Iso alcohol 70%, small plastic tray with flat bottom, clean retired face size towel and clean retired all cotton T-shirt.

Put about 15 balls on an old clean face towel. Spritz the balls with isopropyl alcohol. Grab up the towel at both ends and form it into a hammock shape. Now rock the hammock from one end to the other, so the balls slide back and forth along the length of the towel. 10 - 15 seconds is plenty.
    Now drop the balls into a shallow plastic tray. Squirt enough alcohol into the bottom of the tray to coat it. Roll the balls around until they're wet all around. Take an old worn out cotton T-shirt and hold it in your palm. Put 5 balls into the shirt, grab the shirt with your other hand and rub the balls like you were rubbing your palms together to warm them up. Do that until the ball is dry. You should have a clean and shine ball, ready to drop into the machine and dazzle your opponents with the bling factor.
    If you have received the Ninja Pinball, you will have gotten a new cotton glove for handling the ball after it has been cleaned.

1 week later
    #547 5 years ago

Pinball Machine goes to Rochester Toy Hall of Fame! To celebrate this auspicious occasion, ballbaron.com is having the "Hall of Fame Super Sale" and this was inspired by forum member gweempose.
    This will be a 10 day sale that starts now, with an 18% discount on the Ninja Ball. This is for sales of any amount and is a deeper discount than my bulk rates.
    The coupon code is Fame2018.
    Personal thanks to Brian for getting this party started.

#548 5 years ago

Just ordered 50 Ninjas. Thanks!!!

#549 5 years ago

Ordered my first ninja balls. Going to see how they do with JJPPOTC.

#550 5 years ago

Anyone sell 1” balls anymore? Would like to try them in Safecracker. Rumor is that’s the original spec & it plays better....?

There are 618 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-are-you-buying-balls-from/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.