Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by beelzeboob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've had my machine for about a week and I'm in love. It's the most amazing machine ever. Having said that both my wife and I are wondering...

Where are the songs and sounds of the movie? Some of the most basic and primal sounds are missing:

1) Somewhere over the rainbow by Judy Garland. Her voice is the key. The music during TNPLH is "ok" but not nearly as powerful.
2) "We wish to welcome you to munchkin land" This needs to play when you start a munchkin mode! Am I the only one who sings it out loud when the ball is captured?
3) Lions and tigers and bears - oh my! I haven't heard this once in the game.
4) Ding dong the witch is dead? Missing?
5) "Follow the yellow brick road". I imagine the voices popping up at random shots.

The Wizard of Oz was a musical...

Now - the real question is - Is this a licensing issue? Or is this still in development? Or is this just not what JJP thinks we want?

If it's licensing - that stinks. That means we will never get those songs.
If it's in development - that's cool. I hope it comes out as cool as I imagine.
If it's not planned but theirs potential then let people give their feedback and see what happens.

#2 10 years ago

also posted in JJP google group.

#3 10 years ago

Having heard all those songs, I'm glad they're not in the game.

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

It's a shame there are so few samples from the film. I think the familiarity of the music and quotes are a great thing to have in a pinball game. Surely the whole point of choosing a classic film as a theme is because everyone knows it inside out? Unfortunately JJP decided that soundalikes saying things that aren't in the film is a better way to go. Big thumbs down for me there. A highlight of the game for me is when the Wizard/Guard starts multiball because it is a clip from the film. There needed to be a lot more of that IMO. I don't really see much more of that being added from how it's developed so far unfortunately.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

It's a shame there are so few samples from the film. I think the familiarity of the music and quotes are a great thing to have in a pinball game. Surely the whole point of choosing a classic film as a theme is because everyone knows it inside out? Unfortunately JJP decided that soundalikes saying things that aren't in the film is a better way to go. Big thumbs down for me there. A highlight of the game for me is when the Wizard/Guard starts multiball because it is a clip from the film. There needed to be a lot more of that IMO. I don't really see much more of that being added from how it's developed so far unfortunately.

Agree Chocky - on all points. It's a shame because I think this is what the game needs - it's what will make it iconic. It's a fantastic game! I just want to see it live forever in pinball history. They need Judy in the game! How could you not have Judy in the game! I wish they would take munchkin voices and phrases also.

#6 10 years ago

Perhaps too expensive to license the use of all that?

#7 10 years ago

License was my 1st thought. But IDK.

#8 10 years ago

I think it would be hard to make the film clips sound good as compared to the new compositions (and they would play side-by-side), in addition to any possible copyright issues.

#9 10 years ago

Probably to many licenses to procure. Remember Williams had to change taxi because they didn't have a license to use Monroe's likeness. I would think the same with Judy Garland, and the record companies, etc, etc. I may be wrong, if not it is a shame you have to pay for every little thing in this world separately.

#10 10 years ago

Speaking as somebody who "does" music for a living, as desirable as actual movie soundtrack clips might be, you don't want the singing on the machine for the simple reason that it would clash with the increasing number of callouts that become more complex with each update. Can you imagine "Follow the yellow brick--SHOOT THAT SPINNER WITH SPEED!" or "Somewhere over the--RETURN IF YOU WISH TO CONQUER!" (Or whatever he says...I can't make out half of it because of the sound mix the way it is now!)

#11 10 years ago

Shoot that sphere with speed! Wake early if you wish to conquer!

#12 10 years ago

Oh...so THAT'S what it says! No wonder I never score any points!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 16.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.50
13,000 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-are-the-songs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.