(Topic ID: 207110)

Where are all the barcades?

By hassellcastle

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4605 (resized).PNG
    Pinball Arcade%2FBarcades Resurgence.pdf (PDF preview)
    ls (resized).jpg
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I’m doing some research and I’m asking for your assistance in a list I’m trying to compile.
    We’ve seen a resurgence in the last few years of public venue’s to play classic arcade games/Pinball including many bar type arcades.
    The list I’m looking to create is:
    Name of Barcade
    City it is located in.
    Estimated year it opened.

I can think of 5 off my head here that have popped up here in the DFW area within the last few years. Cidercade, 2 x Freeplay, Versus Gameplay & Quarter Lounge. However I’m not familiar with venues outside of North Texas.

Any help you can provide me with to help compile this list would be greatly appreciated. This project is not being done to try to drum up business but merely to prove what is happening with our hobby over the last few years for public places to play.

I’m not really looking for this to be a discussion about which location is better than the other. I’m merely looking for name, city located at and estimated year opened to the public.

Any help is greatly appreciated

#2 6 years ago

Philly has one.

They list other locations

http://barcadephiladelphia.com/about/other-locations/

#3 6 years ago

Thank you!
    This is exactly what I’m looking for.

Keep’em coming ladies and gents

#4 6 years ago

Boxcar in Greensboro NC. Opened in 2017.

Raleigh has a boxcar too. Not sure when it opened but it was before GSO.

#5 6 years ago

16-bit (2015)
    Arcade Legacy: bar edition (2015)

Cincinnati, OH

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

This project is not being done to try to drum up business but merely to prove what is happening with our hobby over the last few years for public places to play.

What exactly are you planning to do with this information?

I have been told before that it is not to drum up business... Only to have people harassing location owners to buy games and try to influence them to buy direct rather than work with the operator they already have.

Not saying you are doing this, but curious what you really need a list for. Seems strange to me to need to make up a list for something that has obviously happened and in your local area you already know all of the spots.

#8 6 years ago

This is a nice website. I used it to find specific games I wanted to play before making purchase decisions.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I have been told before that it is not to drum up business... Only to have people harassing location owners to buy games and try to influence them to buy direct rather than work with the operator they already have.
    Not saying you are doing this, but curious what you really need a list for. Seems strange to me to need to make up a list for something that has obviously happened and in your local area you already know all of the spots.

You’re reading into this too much.

As I said. This in no way has nothing to do with drumming up business. I have no reason to contact any of these locations. My reasoning is I merely want to learn...before 2013 we had this many barcades...and now in 2018 we have this many. I’m wanting to see what the increase % has been over a certain time span. I’m assisting with an article that is being written about the growth and I’d like factual proof of year established and location than just blindly saying we’ve seen a 50% increase. That’s really it. No less...no more.

Whysnow? What is in your area? When did they open. That’s all I’m looking for man. Any help is appreciated

#10 6 years ago

Headquarters in Chitown.

#11 6 years ago

Pinballmap is probably your best bet. Will need to look up the locations and see if they are barcades though.

Arcadium in Lexington KY is another. 2014 I think.

#12 6 years ago

I will be more than happy to share the list here within the thread. The problem I see with Pinball map is I can’t really tell what type of location it is. Could be just a restaurant with one or two games.
    The best way I think to gather the data I’m looking for is from those reading this post to just comment with what Barcades they know of located around them (city location and estimated date opened too if possible).

Any help is appreciated

#13 6 years ago

I will be more than happy to share the list here within the thread. The problem I see with Pinball map is I can’t really tell what type of location it is. Could be just a restaurant with one or two games.
    The best way I think to gather the data I’m looking for is from those reading this post to just comment with what Barcades they know of located around them (city location and estimated date opened too if possible).
    Any help is appreciated

My suggestion to use pinballmap is because you don’t have to wait and hope this thread explodes with hundreds of comments to get you the type of data you’re looking for. Lots of locations on pinball map say that they are a bar. Unsure? Google that location. Might take a few hours, but you’ll get the quantity of data you’re looking for way faster.

#14 6 years ago

Whysnow? What is in your area? When did they open. That’s all I’m looking for man. Any help is appreciated

zero barcades in Madison, but apparently 2 of them opening sometime soonish (looking forward to it but not sure Madison is able to support that business model? due to size of the city/populus).
    In the past 5 years there are 6 new places to play in Madison. 5 of them are locations with 4 plus games in single bars. 1 of them is a pay to enter arcade.

In Milwaukee region there i 1 new pay to play arcade, 1 brand new barcade, and supposedly 2 more opening in the next year.

Others can chime in about CHI, Twin Cities, and Iowa if they want as they will have more particular knowledge.

If you really want to get accurate data then you need to filter the pinball map or pinside map for locations with > "X" machines and then data mine.

It should not be that hard and in general the past 5 years has seen new barcades in every major city/ outlying area of a city. COncentrate your search on the big cities and you will find the majority of them.

You could probably ask Robin for a data dump of this index >> https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/index/united-states
    or copy and paste into excel (page by page will take a bit of effort) and then sort. That gives you the date of creation on the map and number of games.

#15 6 years ago

Level one barcade
    Columbus Ohio
    2016?

16 bit bar
    Columbus
    2015?

Pins mechanical
    Columbus
    2017?

Pins mechanical
    Dublin

Arcade super awesome
    Columbus
    2016?

#16 6 years ago

Personally, for me to call anything a real "bar arcade" they have to have atleast half a dozen pinball machines, hell even 2 or 3 haha, but zero doesn't cut it...

#17 6 years ago

Reset has 2 locations in toledo, around 2015 and 2016

#18 6 years ago

What is your definition of barcade?

A bar with any arcade/pinball games?

A bar with 3+ arcade games, but off in a corner somewhere

A bar that has x arcade games and they are a prominent fixture / bar is built around arcade theme.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

What is your definition of barcade?

A bar that has x arcade games and they are a prominent fixture / bar is built around arcade theme.

This

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Personally, for me to call anything a real "bar arcade" they have to have atleast half a dozen pinball machines, hell even 2 or 3 haha, but zero doesn't cut it...

Really? Why?

#21 6 years ago

2 years ago there was very little where I live. Some round-1s and 82

Now in the Los Angeles area we have Ayci gogi, 82 and further down south OC mission control. There is no lack of a destination, like before.

If you are in Los Angeles. I like ayci Gogi. Best pinball available on the market. All ready to play.

Pinball maps has a thourough listing and good reviews. In my area.

I would start there, and then look for exceptions, that are not listed there.

I'd love to open a barcade type place but it really seems like all work to own one.

Still, maybe...

#22 6 years ago

Ready Player One. Detroit 2017

#23 6 years ago

The first in my area:

Backpocket Brewing
    Dubuque, IA

ls (resized).jpgls (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

Craig,

More than most can possibly imagine in Portland, OR.
    Seattle has its own set of locations.

Here is a website for your research.

http://www.pinballpdx.org/locator/

Keep Flipping

- TBK

#25 6 years ago

Look up pinball museum in Asheville, NC and there's one in Hendersonville, NC too.
    The Asheville location serves beer and has been open for a while (A few years)
    The Hendersonville location (owned by the same person) just opened in December I think,
    not sure about the alcohol license in that one.
    Hope this helps.

#26 6 years ago

Thanks everyone that has contributed so far!!!! Seriously
    My list now consists of 60 locations. Looking over pinballmap it's overwhelming there are so many and I can't tell if the location just has 1 machine or 20.

I think the better way to ask the question is this. With so many pinsiders here from all different parts of the United States and other countries.
    What is your favorite barcade that you have played at? Where is it located and do you have any idea as to when it was established.

(I had to guess at the year on some of these as there is nothing I could find online stating when they opened). If you see something that needs correcting. Let me know.

Silverball Museum Delray Beach, FL 2016
    Miami Pinball North Miami, FL 2017
    Add-A-Ball Freemont, WA 2011
    Another Castle - Arcade Edmonds, WA 2015
    Full Tilt (Capital Hill) Seattle, WA 2016
    Full Tilt (Columbia City) Seattle, WA 2015
    Full Tilt (U-District) Seattle, WA 2014
    Full Tilt (Ballard) Seattle, Wa 2011
    Full Tilt (White Center) Seattle, WA 2008
    Flip Flip Ding Ding Seattle, WA 2014
    Seattle Pinball Museum Seattle, WA 2012
    Jupiter Bar Seattle, WA 2017
    4B's Ballard Grill & AleHouse Seattle, Wa 2015
    8-Bit Seattle, Wa 2016
    Houndstooth SEattle, Wa 2014
    Coindexter's SEattle, Wa 2016
    Emporium (Wicker Park) Chicago 2014
    Emporium (Logan's Square) Chicago 2015
    Emporium (Fulton Market) Chicago 2016
    Logan Arcade Chicago 2016
    Shelter Arcade Bar Providence, RI 2016
    Free Play Bar Providence, RI 2015
    Eighty Two Los Angeles, CA 2014
    Free Play Richardson, Texas 2015
    Free Play Arlington, Texas 2017
    Cidercade Dallas, Texas 2016
    Versus Game Play Plano, Texas 2016
    Cactus Jack's Oklahoma City, OK 1980
    Quarter Lounge Arcade Bedford, Texas 2016
    Barcade Philadelphia, PA 2011
    Barcade Jersey City, NJ 2011
    Barcade Brooklyn, NY 2004
    Barcade Manhattan, NY 2014
    Barcade East Village, NY 2014
    Barcade New Haven, CT 2016
    Barcade Newark, NJ 2017
    Boxcar Greensboro, NC 2017
    Boxcar Raleigh, NC 2015
    16-Bit Cincinnati, OH 2015
    Arcade Legacy: Bar Edition Cincinnati, OH 2015
    Headquarters Chicago, IL 2016
    Headquarters Nashville, TN 2016
    Arcadium Lexington, KY 2014
    Level One Columbus, OH 2016
    16-Bit Columbus, Oh 2015
    Pins Mechanical Columbus, OH 2017
    Pins Mechanical Dublin, OH 2018
    Arcade Super Awesome Columbus, OH 2016
    Reset Toledo, OH 2015
    Reset Toledo, OH 2016
    Ayci Gogi Los Angeles, CA 2016
    OC Mission Control Orange County, CA 2016
    Ready Player One Detroit 2017 2017
    Backpocket Brewing Dubuque, IA 2017
    Asheville Pinball Museum Asheville, NC 2014
    Henderson Pinball Museun Henderson, NC 2017
    Two Plumbers St. Charles, MO 2016
    Start Bar STL St. Louis, MO 2016
    Pinball Hall of Fame Las Vegas, NV 2004

Keep'em coming!

#27 6 years ago

No bar no barcade.

I love Hall of Fame, but they have no alcohol.

#28 6 years ago

Cobra in Phoenix is a barcade. Great bar. Arcade games, not enough pinball for me.

Bonus round is another in Phoenix.
    Unfortunately no pinball.

Tilt in Tempe has beer has arcade.
    Unfortunately too many redemption games for me.

#29 6 years ago

Tilt has a ton of great pinball's in nice shape. Regular tournament s

#31 6 years ago

There's a 16 bit in Cleveland, Happy dog, and b side, Superelectric (I don't think they serve alcohol but there is a bartender serving other drinks), and also a 16 bit in Cincinnati.

I could name a lot more places but if your list requires it to be a "bar", there are a lot of places that actually advertise they are a retro arcade that is NOT a bar.

#32 6 years ago

This place is awesome!

https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus

#33 6 years ago

Reboot in downtown Winston Salem NC

#34 6 years ago

Sparks Pinball Museum in Metro Detroit. Opened in 2014. 47 pinball machines in one location.

Www.sparkspinballmuseum.com

#35 6 years ago

More from NC

Reboot, Winston Salem NC 2017
    The Baxter, Chapel Hill NC 2014
    Level Up, Raleigh NC 2015(?)
    Palmer Street, Charlotte NC 2017(?)

#36 6 years ago

It's interesting that you have several in Seattle, include a Full Tilt (Capital Hill) location that isn't even open yet, but you are missing some obvious ones, like Shorty's. For Seattle area, you can reference

http://www.skill-shot.com/

It's not just for barcades however. Most serve alcohol, but not all.

#37 6 years ago

Have you made it to the Dublin location yet? They need to get their act together, almost every pinball had an issue.

Strictly for barcade I would go with vfw in Ann arbor, haha. I think they had alcohol. Besides that I like level one in Columbus. Good selection of pins and I don't get hit up by bums for drugs like at arcade super awesome.

There is also Stonehenge in Akron. They have a ton of pins and serve alcohol, but they are actually a bowling alley. Not sure when they got their first pin, but I bet a while ago

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Strictly for barcade I would go with vfw in Ann arbor, haha.

If it were open to the public it might count

#39 6 years ago

All real arcades historically have pinball, so...
    I personally would very rarely if ever go to a bar of just video games, unless to play something like Killer Queen.

#40 6 years ago

The Circuit in Richmond, VA opened in 2017

#42 6 years ago

Kiito's Brewery, 608 w 700 s, Salt Lake City Ut opened in 2017

#43 6 years ago

Not at a computer at the moment to better figure out year est., but Arcade Bar here in Gainesville has about 15-16 or so pins + a few pins across the street at The Top (owned by the same I believe). Unfortunately no league here that I'm aware of, but would love if there was.

#44 6 years ago

Paramount, 200 20th St. N., Birmingham, AL 35203, opened in 2013

#45 6 years ago

Analog Arcade Bar in Davenport, Iowa. Opened in 2015. https://www.analogarcadebar.com/home

#46 6 years ago

Brewcadia 467 N High St, Columbus, OH 43215. Opened in 2016.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Why the hell do you always have to be so negative? I honestly just don't get you at all.......smfh.

#48 6 years ago

I don't know if your accepting Canadian locations but there is Bartari (2015) I think and Pokeys pinball Cafe (2017) both in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Medisinyl:

Not at a computer at the moment to better figure out year est., but Arcade Bar here in Gainesville has about 15-16 or so pins + a few pins across the street at The Top (owned by the same I believe). Unfortunately no league here that I'm aware of, but would love if there was.

I tried to plan out an IFPA event with Hal but it never panned out there...

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I tried to plan out an IFPA event with Hal but it never panned out there...

Darn. Wouldn't mind a heads up if there's any chance for something to materialize. I had heard a year+ ago from someone that's friends with Hal that there was some talk of a league starting, but haven't heard such a thing since.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-are-all-the-barcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.