By bingopodcast

1 year ago

Stats

• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bingopodcast
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Billboard_magazine_October_63_article_that_describes_resumption_of_bingo_production_with_Bounty,_file_found_on_web_was_named_
    Bally_Silver_Sales_announcement_in_Cash_Box_magazine,_1962,_references_Eastland_bill_to_prohibit_interstate_shipping,_also_describes_transition_from_Golden_Gate_(resized).jpg
    Bally's_Last_Bingo_Off_Production_Line,_found_on_web_and_originally_named_
    Billboard_magazine_October_27_1962_article_on_JRK_signing_the_Eastland_bill_to_prohibit_transport_of_bingos,_file_found_on_web_was_named_
    4cornerscab_(resized).jpg
    4cornersfield_(resized).jpg
    fourcorners_(resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I suspect that most of the 20 hole bingos were shipped overseas.

Here in the States, most of the warehouse raids and so forth that I've seen recently may have one or two 20 holers, but there's never a giant pile of them.

Bally manufactured a ton of them, though - over many different iterations.

I'm curious, since I'm based on the East Coast. In the late 60s - early 70s, was Bally mostly shipping domestically to places like TN and NV? Are most of the games out that way?

Or were most of the games sent overseas?

#2 1 year ago

what one are you looking for. we just shipped a half a dozen over seas

#3 1 year ago

Thanks Butch, not looking for any one in particular, just curious as to where Bally was initially shipping the 20 hole games in the States.

My understanding is that there were only a handful of states left after about '63 that they could ship directly to.

Again, just curious.

#4 1 year ago

I have a Tahiti that I picked up from Bill Doll in York, PA over 15 years ago.

#5 1 year ago

Is Bill Doll still around?

#6 1 year ago

I would assume most of the domestic ones went to Vegas and Atlantic City prior to the 90s.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Is Bill Doll still around?

I've asked many times and never got an answer. Even asked the York Show organizers as Bill used to help with the show.

#8 1 year ago

Did some Bingo guy on Pinside buy the 16 hole Four Corners Williams that was on ebay ?
    Has to be even more scarce than a 20 hole game for sure I'd think. Wow.

Would this be easier to hit wins because of so fewer holes ? I see it has bumpers, flippers, etc.
    True Bingo or not ? No play register that I see either. Looks like a cool game either way.
    Half way considered bidding but the distance held me back from doing it. Hope one of you got it.

fourcorners_(resized).jpg
    4cornersfield_(resized).jpg
    4cornerscab_(resized).jpg

#9 1 year ago

That cabinet art is awesome.

#10 1 year ago

Anybody have any answers or information on the Four Corners ? I'd like to know more if anybody knows or has insight on operation and if it is really a Bingo or not ...

#11 1 year ago

It's not exactly a bingo, it's a hybrid bingo/flipper game. Getting a ball in each of the four corners of the card lites the rollovers for special, but you can also get an inline win or win on score if I recall correctly.

It looks fun to me, and the artwork is fantastic. But I've never played one.

#12 1 year ago

Looks really fun to me. Very interesting. Nice artwork too as you say. Maybe I should have bid and figured out getting the darn thing if I had been successful. If anybody here got it and has second thoughts.....

2 weeks later
    #13 1 year ago

I believe the Eastland Act of 1962 was the reason Bally shipped most of its subsequent production overseas. The Johnson Act of 1950 (or maybe it was 1951) effectively killed the one-ball horse race games, and the Eastland Act of 1962 was intended to similarly dispatch the bingos. See the following articles for quotes by Bill O'Donnell, Bally's general sales manager. If he's being truthful, Bally didn't know if they would produce another bingo following Silver Sails, the final game before the Eastland Act took effect. So Bally did well to keep bingos in production for another eighteen years or so!

Billboard_magazine_October_27_1962_article_on_JRK_signing_the_Eastland_bill_to_prohibit_transport_of_bingos,_file_found_on_web_was_named_"bb_oct_27"_(resized).jpg

Bally's_Last_Bingo_Off_Production_Line,_found_on_web_and_originally_named_"last_bingo"_(resized).jpg

Bally_Silver_Sales_announcement_in_Cash_Box_magazine,_1962,_references_Eastland_bill_to_prohibit_interstate_shipping,_also_describes_transition_from_Golden_Gate_(resized).jpg

Billboard_magazine_October_63_article_that_describes_resumption_of_bingo_production_with_Bounty,_file_found_on_web_was_named_"bb__oct_63"_(resized).jpg

#14 1 year ago

Oh, that is amazing! Thank you!

That makes a ton of sense. I figured that Bally had found a way around the law as there are so many later games that are very easy to find in the States, like Nashville or Dixieland.

The above article also discusses in concrete terms why Silver Sails/Golden Gate had so many production errors (wrong backglasses, wrong playfields, wrong cabinets, etc) - running before the law caught up!

1 month later
    #15 1 year ago

I believe I've seen at least six different Silver Sails that had a Golden Gate playfield. I don't recall seeing any other production anomalies. What have you seen?

I speculate that Bally was deciding how to respond to the Eastland Act when they produced the under-featured "The Twist" as a possible way to continue production in a post-Eastland Act world. When "The Twist" failed to stimulate player or operator demand, Bally went back to the previous Golden Gate design and rebadged it as Silver Sails. Since the entire bingo category was doomed by the new law, I believe Bally used the Golden Gate playfields in the "new" Silver Sails instead of saving them as NOS parts for future operator demand. One man's opinion.

#16 1 year ago

I've not seen any myself, but in talking with other bingo collectors, the Silver Sails/Golden Gate had wrong playfields and glasses in certain cases.

I've also heard that there were wiring errors on Malibu Beach - probably toward the end of production.

That's about I all know, but I'm always curious to hear more. Thank you for posting those interesting articles!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 380.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9.99
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 524 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside