(Topic ID: 185927)

"Whenever it's done" - Voltron, a WPT retheme.

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptNRetro
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

voltron lego (resized).jpg
    ColoringProgress03-15-18.png
    hmmlol.png
    GreenLion-Head-hires.png
    Voltron-GreenLion-WIP-12-04-17 (resized).png
    Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-Lines (resized).png
    Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-NODES (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-19-17-2 (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-23-17 (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-19-17 (resized).png
    GreenLion-WIP-09-11-17 (resized).png
    GreenLion-WIP-09-10-17 (resized).png
    Rawr (resized).png
    BlueLion-Final-oops (resized).png
    PrintingArtifacts (resized).png
    vt (resized).png
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago

And I'll form.....

.... the head!

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

And I'll form.....
    .... the head!

Monster misbehaving
    Planet’s needing saving
    Situation’s grave and
    I’ll form the head

The enemy is clever
    We’re smaller but whatever
    When we put it together
    I’ll form the head
    Y’all can do the treading
    Swing energy machete
    If combination’s ready
    I’ll form the head
    I’ll form the head
    I’ll form the head

#104 6 years ago

Took a minute to get some screencaps to show more of the detail, because frequently, these small areas are taking me longer to do.. I'm adding details as I go, whereas with the body of the lion, barring one tiny patch, I still need to go back and add details to those..

8652 nodes is where this currently stands today.. had no idea this was going to be every bit as detailed and complicated as one main character's full body! Got screens of how it looks in outline view and node view.....

Lion-08-06-17 (resized).pngLion-08-06-17 (resized).png

Lion-08-06-17-Nodes (resized).pngLion-08-06-17-Nodes (resized).png

Lion-08-06-17-Lines (resized).pngLion-08-06-17-Lines (resized).png

1 week later
    #105 6 years ago

I know I keep saying this is close to done but I keep finding more and more details!! This is really legitimately nearly done though....13031 nodes at this point! Detail level far far outstrips any of the previous pieces..

Lion-WIP-08-13-17 (resized).pngLion-WIP-08-13-17 (resized).png

#106 6 years ago

Following!

#107 6 years ago

Wow, this is amazing!

#108 6 years ago

*fist pump* I've been biding my time...watching...waiting...

Finally managed to snag a copy of Season 5 (black lion tin) for 15 bucks shipped, as opposed to the more-usual price I've seen of 30-45. So I'll finally be able to get the scans for Keith and the Black Lion head. Only season I'm missing now is season 2 (yellow lion). I'm more comfortable shelling out more cash to finish the set, as opposed to overpaying for two seasons.

#109 6 years ago

Okay... I'm calling this done. If anyone can spot anything glaring I missed...then you just caught something I just fixed. Oops. LOL. *edit* For anyone interested, this ended up being 13968 nodes. Crazy.

FinalCompare (resized).pngFinalCompare (resized).png

#110 6 years ago

Following too

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Okay... I'm calling this done. If anyone can spot anything glaring I missed...then you just caught something I just fixed. Oops. LOL. *edit* For anyone interested, this ended up being 13968 nodes. Crazy.

Not sure how exact you are trying to be, here are a few differences. These are nit picky. This looks AMAZING!

vt (resized).pngvt (resized).png

#112 6 years ago

Ooh, thanks for pointing out the eyes. Looks like I missed the part that curves back down on the dark gold, or it layered incorrectly. I'll check it. I already fixed the cheek gouges and there is actually a spot at the very bottom middle that I fixed also, you can see that there'ss some shading that was missed.

Really...I try to be as close to the original as possible. Things like shading and matching colors are the worst part, because when you zoom in, these things are artifacted all to hell by the printing process. Halftones and whatnot...like this is what you see when you zoom into the main blue areas of the lion. Which blue is it? There's probably 15+ shades you're going to be able to pull out of this image with an eyedropper tool. The answer is "Whatever is closest to the average." You find the area between the lightest and the darkest and pick whatever is in the middle, and that's typically 'close enough'.

There's no dedicated way that I've seen to reproduce halftoning type shading like what's in those grey areas of the cheek. Inkscape is pretty versatile in how it handles flat gradients though, and I'm mostly satisfied with that. If I had a better understanding of how 'mesh gradients' worked I could probably make it a *little* closer to how the original looks, but I'm not really sure it's worth the effort, since I'm okay with how the flat gradients can look. Most of the other shading is accomplished by a combination of gradients and tinkering with the blur and opaqueness to get a smooth transition along the edges.

PrintingArtifacts (resized).pngPrintingArtifacts (resized).png

Oops, just noticed I missed some dark shadows on the bottom of the cheek too. lol.

#113 6 years ago

Apparently I had roughed out the shading I'd missed before...and then it got buried under a ton of layers. It was super poorly drawn too, not sure what the crap I was doing.. I just deleted it and redrew that part.

BlueLion-Final-oops (resized).pngBlueLion-Final-oops (resized).png

3 weeks later
    #114 6 years ago

Time for an update. Things have been kind of hectic at home, so haven't had much time to work. I do now, however, have 4 of the 5 boxed sets, so I've got PLENTY of art to keep things rolling for a while! Here's what I've been working on...big progress today, I basically doubled this one in size. I might be overkilling it in the details...it's already 5600 nodes..

Rawr (resized).pngRawr (resized).png

GreenLion-WIP-09-10-17 (resized).pngGreenLion-WIP-09-10-17 (resized).png

#115 6 years ago

Today's progress...

GreenLion-WIP-09-11-17 (resized).pngGreenLion-WIP-09-11-17 (resized).png

#116 6 years ago

alot of work, but real nice results

#117 6 years ago

Getting some more definition now.. I'm really looking foward to finishing this one and going back to do a few humanoids...it feels like this just takes forever to do one of these lion heads, and it's wearing me out. Finding motivation is difficult sometimes, but work continues... slowly..

Node count: 7035

GreenLionWIP09-19-17 (resized).pngGreenLionWIP09-19-17 (resized).png

#118 6 years ago

Looks great. But...what exactly are you doing?

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from MasterMek:

Looks great. But...what exactly are you doing?

He is turning a World Poker Tour into a custom Voltron Pin

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from OpSteel:

He is turning a World Poker Tour into a custom Voltron Pin

Yes cool. But what's with the image above?

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from MasterMek:

Yes cool. But what's with the image above?

Read the thread....he's doing custom artwork for each of the lions using vector graphics. If you look back at page 2 (or even the top of this one) where he shows his work in progress for the graphics as he creates them.

#122 6 years ago

I wasn't going to post anything else on the Green Lion until I was done with the outline, but I noticed I've reached a crazy point on this today..it's now just over 10000 nodes. Here's where I'm at as well as a closeup of the detail on the face. The source art on this lion shows a lot of wear and tear, so I'm trying to preserve most of that, but it's pushing the required amount of attention to detail through the roof. Clean lines take a lot less points to chart out.

GreenLionWIP09-23-17 (resized).pngGreenLionWIP09-23-17 (resized).png

GreenLionWIP09-19-17-2 (resized).pngGreenLionWIP09-19-17-2 (resized).png

1 month later
    #123 6 years ago

WRISE FROM YOUR GWAVE

Life has been busy, what can I say. I'm still not done with the Green Lion, but at least progress is still being made. This thing is out of control... it's more complicated than anything else I've done. I have a single path that makes up about 50-70% of what's drawn here, and this is 20649 nodes. YES. TWENTY. THOUSAND. NODES. And I'm still not done with the keylines! >_<;;

Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-NODES (resized).pngGreen Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-NODES (resized).png

Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-Lines (resized).pngGreen Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-Lines (resized).png

#124 6 years ago

Damn you got mad skills

3 weeks later
    #125 6 years ago

Just gonna leave this here...

Voltron-GreenLion-WIP-12-04-17 (resized).pngVoltron-GreenLion-WIP-12-04-17 (resized).png

1 week later
    #126 6 years ago

I'm officially saying the keylines are done on this one. Time for some color...thank christ! 28455 nodes was the final count on this part..

Open at full size to see the details.

GreenLion-Head-hires.pngGreenLion-Head-hires.png

2 months later
    #127 6 years ago

I'm so lazy. =(

hmmlol.pnghmmlol.png

#128 6 years ago

So glad you're putting work on it! Rooting for you bro!

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sence:

So glad you're putting work on it! Rooting for you bro!

I might be slower than glass flowing, but I'm persistent! Thanks for the kind words, appreciate it.

#130 6 years ago

Alright...I've been tearing this up this afternoon trying to get as much done as I can because I know I won't get much done the next few days. Current progress....the pink is unfinished areas. I use a neon contrasting color to see where I might have missed gaps due to extensive use of blur and opacity for shading effects.

ColoringProgress03-15-18.pngColoringProgress03-15-18.png

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I know I won't get much done the next few days.

Oh, What's going on...?

Seriously, looking good, just ready to see the end result already!

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Oh, What's going on...?
    Seriously, looking good, just ready to see the end result already!

Come back in 4 years. LMFAO!!

Building pinball is hard, but art is harder for ME. I knew this was going to likely be the longest part aside from learning Python...but no regrets. I'm happy with what I've done so far...maybe not the timescale...but the quality of it.

#133 6 years ago

I also take forever to do stuff that’s pushing my envelope, it’s looking awesome and who cares how long it takes- your getting a ton of experience doing something cool. If the end result meets your expectations it was worth it.

It certainly looks awesome to me!

4 months later
    #134 5 years ago

This is coming out soon...Cabinet decorations? https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Voltron-21311

voltron lego (resized).jpgvoltron lego (resized).jpg
    #135 5 years ago
    Quoted from redman822:

This is coming out soon...Cabinet decorations? https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Voltron-21311

SOLD. Damn that's a must buy! Thanks for the heads up

2 years later
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whenever-its-done-voltron-a-wpt-retheme/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.