(Topic ID: 185927)

"Whenever it's done" - Voltron, a WPT retheme.

By Frax

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptNRetro
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

voltron lego (resized).jpg
    ColoringProgress03-15-18.png
    hmmlol.png
    GreenLion-Head-hires.png
    Voltron-GreenLion-WIP-12-04-17 (resized).png
    Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-Lines (resized).png
    Green Lion - WIP - 11-12-17-NODES (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-19-17-2 (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-23-17 (resized).png
    GreenLionWIP09-19-17 (resized).png
    GreenLion-WIP-09-11-17 (resized).png
    GreenLion-WIP-09-10-17 (resized).png
    Rawr (resized).png
    BlueLion-Final-oops (resized).png
    PrintingArtifacts (resized).png
    vt (resized).png
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 7 years ago

So, short story is that I've wanted a WPT for years. I love drop target games and deep rulesets. But theme and limited space meant it was a really hard sell in the house. We've always had games that we wanted to keep more, WPT rarely ever comes up for sale anywhere nearby. I had this really nice restored Xenon which was fun, but I just wasn't digging it enough to keep it, and knew we couldn't fit 5 games again in our available space with that monster. Big head games, we can have 2 and 3 Stern/WPC games. Crescendo and Farfalla aren't going ANYWHERE, so Xenon needed to go so we could have 3 modern games again. My wife and I basically "share" Crescendo and Farfalla, Metallica is definitely hers. Xenon was mine, so I made an executive decision to sell Xenon and try to pick one up from TPF.

Started poking around, and there was a WPT whitewood for sale here on Pinside. It has some extra holes and whatnot from test fits, but I can patch that, and it's a whitewood...I thought about it for a few days, I love wierd playfields (Have a Tron one that's missing all the keylines!), and I thought a bit about possible rethemes. I already wanted to do a custom pin, so a retheme as a first project seemed a lot more doable, especially with a design I already liked. I made a list of themes I'd be willing to put the effort into, and Voltron is the winner. Things I want to do fit well. The existing insert layout fits *exactly* what I need to do this theme.

I'm planning on salvaging as much of the rules as possible from WPT and adapting what I need to in order to fit to purpose, but I *will* be using P3 hardware and having to learn Python, and coding, and write everything. I don't think I can write better rules than Keith, but obviously, things like the LED block display and rules revolving around cards specifically aren't going to work. Probably the biggest change will be morphing the "Drop target poker" feature into some way to collect specific characters for qualifying a mini-wizard, and either changing entirely how the LED block display works or replacing it altogether with a screen. The DMD will be going away and be replaced with a video screen for sure.

I'm announcing this realizing that I have basically nothing done, because I'm a *terrible* self-motivator at times, and if I have this thread, I'm hoping that it will keep me pushing to have something to talk about! I'm starting with art. It's the smallest stretch for me, and gives me time to document all the rules in WPT and figure out what I want to keep and what needs to go.

Ultimately, when I'm done, I would *like* to open-source ALL of my work, so that someone else can take their WPT and turn it into Voltron if they like. My feelings may change on that, as I expect this to be a 2-3 year project because I'm having to fund a lot of expenses I normally would not have, and my personal money situation is pretty "meh" anyways. If I do go that route, I'll probably open some kind of way to make donations for anyone that wants to, but that will only be after everything is released. I'm not going to feel like I'm beholden to anyone to progress on this project other than myself. I work a lot of overtime. Updates will be pretty slow, and probably far and few inbetween, so I'm giving everyone notice: Stay the hell off my theme of choice, thanks!

Currently, I'm planning on pulling one episode from each season for modes, I'd love to have some feedback from diehard fans as to your favorite episodes!

I'll have a little bit more to post tomorrow regarding what I want to do with some of the art direction and sounds, and a basic insert layout, but for now, this is the first completed art (Well, okay, the Voltron logo is done for sure. I may tweak my "company" logo a little bit more.), but I expect that I'll likely have this art on all sides of the cabinet and the backglass, so it got done first. I'll be drawing everything in vector, using primarily Inkscape.

Logo (resized).pngLogo (resized).png

#2 7 years ago

YES! VOLTRON!!!!!! YES!

#3 7 years ago

Waaaaait...

We talking Lion Voltron, Vehicle Voltron or both?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Waaaaait...
    We talking Lion Voltron, Vehicle Voltron or both?

Lion. I grew up with that, both of my kids have been addicts for either the original series or the reboots.

#5 7 years ago

Where the hell did my picture go...*fixed*

#6 7 years ago

VOLTRON > World Yawn Poker Tour...

#7 7 years ago

Sounds great, Frax. I remember talking with you about this at Wild Pitch. Go for it. LMK if you need any hints/help with coding or whatever.

Chad.

#8 7 years ago

Do it.

#9 7 years ago

The only vinyl figure I have is a Lion Voltron. So much love for that show.

#10 7 years ago

And I'll form the head!

Okay, I won't ...but if you need help with code, reach out. Finally done rubbing the TPF out of my eyes and have to get back to maintaining SkeletonGame.

Following.

#11 7 years ago

Very cool. Love Voltron. Another one for me to follow

#12 7 years ago

Awesome. You wouldn't go wrong either by doing the new Dreamworks version Voltron Legendary Defender. Only 2 seasons in, but the show rocks....

Later,
    EV

#13 7 years ago

Watching this for sure

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Awesome. You wouldn't go wrong either by doing the new Dreamworks version Voltron Legendary Defender. Only 2 seasons in, but the show rocks....
    Later,
    EV

Yeah, I agree here, its fresh and you can totally get some high def images from screen stills of the show, plus those polygons!!! Man they are beautiful

#15 7 years ago

Not using anything from the new series. I haven't seen any of it. Couldn't get to my computer to do anything today....got the day off work so I went to a tournament and took 3rd place after having a very rough start.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Not using anything from the new series. I haven't seen any of it. Couldn't get to my computer to do anything today....got the day off work so I went to a tournament and took 3rd place after having a very rough start.

Nice On the playing!

You should give the new series a spin, even if you don't use anything from it, it's been a really cool reboot.

Can hardly wait to see your progress!

#17 7 years ago

Oh, I'll get around to watching it, just have been and will probably continue to be busy.

#18 7 years ago

Love some Voltron.

This is awesome Frax!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

VOLTRON > World Yawn Poker Tour...

I also like to call it World Poker Bore, or World Poker Snore.

This is a good opportunity to keep the good (the layout and all those drop targets) and lose the bad (the unskippable animation sequences, the sounds, and the art).

#20 7 years ago

It's unlikely the game will cease to be a little bit stop-and-go, because I like things like mode starts and physical locks. I know there's no actual physical locks on WPT, but I have some ideas on making that more possible while preserving the layout. Will definitely require adding some new things or moving existing things a bit. I do really like the option on most modern games to skip animations and long multiball starts, so if there's a way I can accomodate that, it will be a part of the code at some point. I want to make good use of video and callouts, but forcing someone to sit through them is kind of like.....why? Because it's easier to not program the "double flip out"? Meh.

Here's what I'm currently working with as far as insert layouts. I marked things I'm not sure what I'm going to do with just yet with what they do in WPT.

VoltronMockup (resized).pngVoltronMockup (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

I'd use that extra ball insert as a "shoot again", and the outlanes that are currently special: special isn't that much fun for Home use/free play only games.

Also, the clear inserts are very useful, because you can use rgb LEDs down there and extend their use with color changes. Fun stuff.

#22 7 years ago

Yeah, I'm going to play around with RGB stuff for sure. Even with colored inserts there's probably quite a bit that can be done that people just don't really tend to think about....kind of how like putting a warm white vs. cool white vs. orange vs. yellow LED under an orange insert will make it look like 4 entirely different colors when it's lit. I think there's room to use RGB even under colored inserts with enough tinkering, but those arrows that are used for the hurryups...90% of the time I see those as being mode shots. Just the basic hurryup functionality in WPT is kind of 'meh' from what I've seen of it...waiting on a bootrom chip to come so I can actually have it working again... pretty sure it's all for the "tricks".. I'm trying not to think about it too much until I can actually get into the last code release for WPT and take a look at what's going on, because all I've seen is code that was 2 years older than the last release. Game bricked when I tried to update with a modern thumb drive..

Guess the question is, when the hell will I get the bootloader chip. John Wart doesn't seem to respond to email, I ordered the thing and paid for it like last thursday, haven't recieved any kind of notification it's shipped... but I've still got a ridiculous amount of work with art to do so it can wait.

#23 7 years ago

If you're going P-ROC, why bother with the original boardset at all?

If you need help, there's always the Pin Dev slack channel. Also, check out http://pinballmakers.com/ .

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you're going P-ROC, why bother with the original boardset at all?

Because it's already in the game and I want something to play while I'm doing everything else? To me, there's no point at all to tear this game down until I have at LEAST a VERY solid ruleset in mind along with playfield art. I don't want to tear down and rebuild the playfield to make very minor changes. I don't have the time to waste my efforts like that. I'm not going to be using the original boardset in the end. But I am using it so I have a playable game in my house instead of a BRICK, and to see what rules I can salvage from WPT....

It's not like we can all just conjure 1200 bucks out of thin air for a set of PROC boards, and have the coding knowledge to get something flippable a few days later. I sold off a massive chunk of my game collection to try and fund buying the boards then life slapped me in the face and said "F you bro." and the money went to other things, as it so often does. /shrug

Slack is like online voicechat, right? If so, I very seriously doubt I'll be using that very much. I hate hate HATE talking on the phone. Talking on a 'party line' of sorts holds about as much interest to me as "teabagging" a drum of sulfuric acid. =P

#25 7 years ago

Slack is text.

Also to P-ROC WPT you can get away with only a P-ROC and connect to your existing driver board.

#26 7 years ago

Voltron.awesome!

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Slack is text.
    Also to P-ROC WPT you can get away with only a P-ROC and connect to your existing driver board.

That's good to know. Saves me a little bit of money at least!

#28 7 years ago

Yes!Yes!Yes! VOLTRON rocks! Original and Netflix reboot!

#29 7 years ago

WPT is a hell of a good game. You are going to pinball hell you BoS.

Seriously though, WPT is pretty expensive to starter for a conversion.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

the coding knowledge to get something flippable a few days later.

With P-ROC you could have a flipping game in about an hour, including the time needed to install SkeletonGame or Mission Pinball Framework.

But it kind of sounds like you're not really interested in help, so good luck!

#31 7 years ago

What the hell is "BoS"? =P

And I seriously doubt I'm going anywhere. Not sure why anyone would care what anyone else would choose to retheme in regards to cost...obviously I already accounted for that. I got a good deal on a base machine and the whitewood, and I'm pretty good at managing costs in various ways.

Quoted from jwilson:

But it kind of sounds like you're not really interested in help, so good luck!

What is your issue? You tore that guy apart on his cocktail project too. I appreciate the feedback, but just because you offer it doesn't mean that everyone is obligated to do things YOUR way, or even to use your site. I'll be looking through there once I actually get to more technical things, but why are you tearing me a new one when I've already SAID that I'm going to start with art and thinking about rules, and that I have so much to do before I even get to that point? I want to learn Python, I want to be utilizing the existing frameworks to cut down on the coding side of things as much as possible. I've never coded a single damn thing. I think it would be WISE to learn a bit before just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, yeah? I mean seriously...you're on here one minute posting your site and offering help, and then an hour later basically giving me the finger. I'm at work man. I wasn't even at my desk for half of that time, I was out getting my lunch. Come on.

I don't have the money for boards right now. None of them. So in your opinion...what....all progress should just come to a screeching halt because I can't start the way you'd start? Tell me again, how exactly, is doing cabinet and backglass art dependent on having circuitboards? So yeah, if all you have to offer is to throw out how you personally would do things, then get all butthurt when it's not taken as 100% MUST DO IT THIS WAY...then it's probably best to not keep reading here. I'll be happy to get feedback and information if you can keep it positive, but I won't continue to engage in this kind of childish crap...

#32 7 years ago

In more related subject matter..sheesh...it's crazy how much Legendary Defender has drowned out the old series on Google. Even when you can find any stills or source art related to the old series, it's really low-rez and details are indecipherable. I'm predicting lots of time spent scanning things and doing my own screencaps, especially from the first volume of the DVD releases, to find suitable reference art that I can vectorize..

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

here was a WPT whitewood for sale here on Pinside.

Cool. I would hate to see a real WPT rethemed. It is one of my favorite games and a dream theme. This will be an awesome playfield to do something with. WPT was a super high BOM game. Just the backboard has more machinery than the average EM. Not to mention 16 drop targets, playfield display and a great upper playfield. Will be looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

#34 7 years ago

Well, it's "real" in that all the mechs, the cabinet, all the cabinet hardware and everything are going to be used for it, and that the original art on the cabinet is going to be lost? Sure, I'm using the whitewood playfield (assuming there's no horrifically major differences...I was willing to take that risk, because honestly, I like having odd playfields) and not the original one, but it's not like someone could take my original PF and just instantly reconstruct a WPT with it. When I get this thing to the point of near completion, I'll probably sell the PF and CPU boards to recoup some money, and hopefully someone with a trashed out WPT that needs a playfield will finally be able to replace theirs. In general, I'm more of a preservationist than a parting-out kind of person, but let's be honest here..there's plenty of other, nicer WPTs out there. I got what I paid for...a game that's seen some location play but was 100% functional, and barebones. No mods, no LEDs, upper playfield has clearly seen a good amount of play, etc.

If someone's interested in buying the cabinet from me when I'm ready to apply art, and there's someone that actually makes this style of Stern cabinet brand new, then I'd certainly be open to purchasing a new production cabinet and selling mine. It's yellowed and smells like smoke though.

You're one of two people that I've ever seen say that WPT is their dream theme, John.

#35 7 years ago

Used to love that show! Can't wait to see more of this.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

What is your issue?

My issue is that you had a number of dismissive, preconceived notions about what's involved in re-theming a game or doing custom pinball work:

It's not like we can all just conjure 1200 bucks out of thin air for a set of PROC boards, and have the coding knowledge to get something flippable a few days later.

So, based on the fact that you've jumped into doing a re-theme and haven't even done some basic research into what it'll take, and seem to have your mind set on what to do, I figured I'd wish you good luck rather than waste either of our time anymore.

You tore that guy apart on his cocktail project too.

That guy is a perfect example of what not to do - he took his game apart and sanded down his playfield before even learning how to do the electronics or figure out how a pinball machine actually works. I mean, christ - using RELAYS?

If that isn't going to doom his project, his unwillingness to leverage the knowledge of those who have successfully created re-themes and custom games means it's almost guaranteed he'll be using that game for firewood in a few years after it sits half done. I've seen it a dozen times - projects started and abandoned shortly after because "pinball is hard". It kills me to see a game destroyed like that when with a little help and some information it doesn't have to end up that way.

So yeah, if all you have to offer is to throw out how you personally would do things, then get all butthurt when it's not taken as 100% MUST DO IT THIS WAY...

I don't recall telling you to do it a certain way, nor being "butthurt". I asked why bother messing with the existing boards when you're going to P-ROC it, then provided links to information. Then you rattled off a bunch of wrong information, dismissing my statement out of hand.

As for "MY WAY", you know that lineup of custom games you see at shows? The ones people have spent years working on? Designing, building, programming, doing graphics, debugging? That's who hangs out on slack and who was the genesis of most of the info on Pinball Makers. Those guys know what they're doing. It's not "MY WAY", it's theirs, really.

If you're interested in learning how to do it so your project will be successful, there's lots of resources available. That's all I was suggesting. But you decided to hand wave it away. So, once again - good luck!

#37 7 years ago

Whatever man. See ya.

#38 7 years ago

Back on track....

MysteryVector (resized).pngMysteryVector (resized).png

#39 7 years ago

Details on this thing are killing me. I've had to waste a lot of time trying to figure out how to get Inkscape to fill things in correctly. Vector is so different from raster drawing programs.

Coffin-WIP (resized).pngCoffin-WIP (resized).png

#40 7 years ago

SWEET !!

...are we there yet ?

#41 7 years ago

Calling it quits on this one. I can't get it any better I don't think. (Okay, that's a lie, I just feel like I've spent long enough on it and any further improvements are likely to be lost as it's not going to be 3ft. x 3ft. sized. Hell, even most of the shadowing detail I worked on today is lost even at this size..)

Coffin.pngCoffin.png

#42 7 years ago

Crap. Almost finished this one today.

SpaceMouse1 (resized).pngSpaceMouse1 (resized).png

#43 7 years ago

Done with that. Next!

SpaceMouse1-final (resized).pngSpaceMouse1-final (resized).png

#44 7 years ago

you get this ready for TPF next year, & i'll come in my Voltron (defender of the universe) outfit

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

you get this ready for TPF next year, & i'll come in my Voltron (defender of the universe) outfit

It'll be there in whatever state it's in, I'm sure....which most likely will be WPT with Voltron cabinet art and not much else. LOL. I think if I can keep the rate I'm going with art right now, and the Lions and main characters don't give me too many fits (Let me tell you how much I HATE HATE HATE drawing hands) I might have cabinet art and a translite done here in a few months. Learning python is not going to be easy, even with all the work the other guys have done for me with things like PyProcHD/SkeletonGame....I'm keeping a text file of callouts and rule changes that I've thought of as I go.

I'm still trying to get a stupid bootloader chip for my WPT so I can actually play with it and document the last revision of the rules. :\

#46 7 years ago

The cool thing about proc piggied to your factory boards is you should be able to use pin mame to play WPT still if desired. Think BOP and the 2.0 kit.

Looks like a fun project. I would love to do something like this but coding is not in my skillset.

#47 7 years ago

I might be a dickhead, but I'm a pretty good learner. I was thinking something like that, still having the WPT rules playable in some way. I haven't really decided what I want to do with those LED block displays in the window. If I can salvage them with the Voltron rules in some manner, then keeping WPT playable would be a LOT easier. If I replace them with some kind of other display, that's going to be much harder. I would guess probably that Pinmame would have some way to just divert the emulated display to a LCD screen, but I'm not going to let that be a deciding factor in what the game ends up as. Since I won't be keeping the card references in the art, it'll make playing WPT kind of difficult I'd guess.

#48 7 years ago

Voltron Poker Tour - problem solved.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from BrewinBombers:

Voltron Poker Tour - problem solved.

I'm pretty sure this game was already made and is called Jackbot.

#50 7 years ago

Just noticed something odd as I was finishing this. My reference art for the pink one has no whiskers. Screencaps show it with whiskers, but for whatever reason that piece I had which was from one of the set boxes, doesn't? Odd. I may have to spend some time adding them to see if I like it as is or with whiskers. Oh well, here's the other one!

SpaceMouse2 (resized).pngSpaceMouse2 (resized).png

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whenever-its-done-voltron-a-wpt-retheme/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.