Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

So…..

Had some family home this past weekend, including my Son in Law, who loves the pins. Daughters, grandkids went shopping or something, he hit the game room, and I did what most normal people do on a quiet Saturday afternoon…took a nap.

Things seemed fine later, but he did have a sneaky look in his eye….suspected he’d gotten on the board of 1 of the machines but waited until they left to give a quick look.

Now he didn’t put a top score in, but got on my JJPPOTCLE….no biggie, but his initials were “Matt’s the Man”…….What!!!! I think he crossed the line there, and have been debating my actions.

I know the usual “play better” and “get a new Son in Law” responses, but wanted some stories and opinions on how I handle such an act. He is certainly not “The Man” of this gameroom!!!!

A lighthearted topic for a change, and am awaiting (mainly LTG ) guidance on this situation…clearly a foul…..

#2 2 years ago

Hahah I have a couple friends who do this. Just makes me want to play better to blow them off the boards!

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hahah I have a couple friends who do this. Just makes me want to play better to blow them off the boards!

And he had to pick Pirates!!!!….so many layers to get through to figure out the level of damage!!!

(Used the patch and everything for the selfie….oh, it’s on!!!)

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

And he had to pick Pirates!!!!….so many layers to get through to figure out the level of damage!!!
    (Used the patch and everything for the selfie….oh, it’s on!!!)

PLAY BETTER!

#5 2 years ago

Just reset the game and claim Lightning strike

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Just reset the game and claim Lightning strike

I do like that one!!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Now he didn’t put a top score in...

Then he's not the man. The man has the GC score. End of story.

I use to take games to shows for tournaments and I always reset the high scores before each event. Then when I got the games home, I had homework to do to knock those new high scores down. Took me months to take down a high score Zach Sharpe put on my RBION.

#8 2 years ago

You know what they say... to be the man you got to beat the man!

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

You know what they say... to be the man you got a beat the man!

Exactly my point!!!!

He knows what he did…this is not going to stand!!!!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

There is sanity on Pinside!!! Correct you are….

#11 2 years ago

Great story and one of the reasons most of us got into pinball from the start, to share a game or laugh with friends and family. I would see it as a fun challenge and opportunity to test his "Man" card on the next visit. In our house as long as my wife doesn't hit GC (never hear the end of that!) all is good. While its fairly second nature to most of us, when a guest has the chance to put their name up they often remember the fun and look forward to another visit. Sometimes its as fun to see others enjoy your hobby as playing yourself.

#12 2 years ago

time to sell the games, get a rocking chair and yell at the darn neighborhood kids

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I use to take games to shows for tournaments and I always reset the high scores before each event. Then when I got the games home, I had homework to do to knock those new high scores down. Took me months to take down a high score Zach Sharpe put on my RBION.

Do you remember what was his score?

#14 2 years ago

Just do what toddsvec did to me; pull the battery and it never happened. Todd, we both know who has the high score on whitewater!! Also Todd is a great dude!!

#15 2 years ago

My brother in law sets games to 5 ball when he’s in town to piss my wife off.
    He will sit there and play four player games by himself to try to knock my wife’s score off a machine.
    I don’t really give a shit, but it drives my wife nuts.

#16 2 years ago

He could have put “Matt the DF”, “Matt is Everywhere”, “Beat This”…he was pretty Disney with it, he showed respect and restraint.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

My brother in law sets games to 5 ball when he’s in town to piss my wife off.
    He will sit there and play four player games by himself to try to knock my wife’s score off a machine.
    I don’t really give a shit, but it drives my wife nuts.

A cold person he is....

#18 2 years ago

Limit your games to three initials...

I thought you were going to say something that really is a bad violation, like everyone eating hot dogs with ketchup on them while you were not there.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

A cold person he is....

The turn side is my wife makes it her goal to knock his scores off only using three balls. I’ll come home from work and she’s usually playing something trying to get her score back while she working on dinner.
    She’s usually successful, which makes the entire thing even more amusing.

#21 2 years ago

I was sort of expecting to come in here and see some NSFW photos. Disappointed!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

So…..
    Had some family home this past weekend, including my Son in Law, who loves the pins. Daughters, grandkids went shopping or something, he hit the game room, and I did what most normal people do on a quiet Saturday afternoon…took a nap.
    Things seemed fine later, but he did have a sneaky look in his eye….suspected he’d gotten on the board of 1 of the machines but waited until they left to give a quick look.
    Now he didn’t put a top score in, but got on my JJPPOTCLE….no biggie, but his initials were “Matt’s the Man”…….What!!!! I think he crossed the line there, and have been debating my actions.
    I know the usual “play better” and “get a new Son in Law” responses, but wanted some stories and opinions on how I handle such an act. He is certainly not “The Man” of this gameroom!!!!
    A lighthearted topic for a change, and am awaiting (mainly LTG ) guidance on this situation…clearly a foul…..

My last initials entry at my friend BZY’s house:

BZY SUX

#23 2 years ago

When I read the title of this thread of the game room being "violated", I had visions of a pet getting access to the area and leaving a special package in the room, or a person doing the same out of spite, perhaps in the corner somewhere. I was surprised when I read that the visitor left a high score or something of the kind and that was the "violation". A high score can easily be removed by resetting those scores, so this does not seem to be a big issue to me. All that has to be done is a new high score made to wipe of the "offending" party. Just seemed a little surprising that this became a violation of anything.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

When I read the title of this thread of the game room being "violated", I had visions of a pet getting access to the area and leaving a special package in the room, or a person doing the same out of spite, perhaps in the corner somewhere. I was surprised when I read that the visitor left a high score or something of the kind and that was the "violation". A high score can easily be removed by resetting those scores, so this does not seem to be a big issue to me. All that has to be done is a new high score made to wipe of the "offending" party. Just seemed a little surprising that this became a violation of anything.

I don't think it's a big issue to him, either

Quoted from MK6PIN:

A lighthearted topic for a change

#25 2 years ago

buddy kept saying I was infecting his games with my high scores when I came over...

so now I always use 'STK VIRUS' when logging scores on the 10character scoreboards

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I don't think it's a big issue to him, either

Yea…intent was just for some fun reflection stuff from some Pinsiders, realizing “ violating” may have been taken too literally.

Think I’ll let him be “the man” the next time I’ve got to service a few of these, lol….

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

buddy kept saying I was infecting his games with my high scores when I came over...
    so now I always use 'STK VIRUS' when logging scores on the 10character scoreboards

Bam!!! I think “infection” = “violated” so topic is spot on, lol

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My last initials entry at my friend BZY’s house:
    BZY SUX

I believe you sir would be in violation as well….

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Limit your games to three initials...
    I thought you were going to say something that really is a bad violation, like everyone eating hot dogs with ketchup on them while you were not there.

That’s actually cause for ejection…..yep, I’m just “DAD” even on the games where more text available….keeps it simple on bourbon night (though I have even screwed that up on occasion…taking me awhile to get “DDD” off the board)….

#30 2 years ago

I thought "violated" meant there was a Gottlieb in your game room.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Yea…intent was just for some fun reflection stuff from some Pinsiders, realizing “ violating” may have been taken too literally.
    Think I’ll let him be “the man” the next time I’ve got to service a few of these, lol….

Seems like this is like more of a challenge to show who the "the man" really is.
    I would want to visit this guys house and place my high scores on his games in addition to removing his from my games.
    Competition is usually a good thing as long as it stays friendly.
    My high score entries would just be my initials.
    No further "manly" inserts would be required.
    :
    On a related topic, I thought it was strange when a friend of mine decided not to do some code updates on some machines because the high scores would be removed during that update.
    I found that to be rather strange since the high scores could just be repeated later on, assuming they were not a fluke of some kind in the first place.
    However, the owner did not agree with that logic and declined those code updates so the high scores would remain.
    I could not quite understand that conclusion because I would want my machines to have the latest code updates and the high scores were probably just a recent record anyway.
    Just my thoughts...

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I thought "violated" meant there was a Gottlieb in your game room.

Bite your fucking tongue.

#33 2 years ago

This is a worst violation!

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #34 2 years ago

If your son in law does that… imagine what else he does

#35 2 years ago

3 initial entries are the way to go as mentioned.
    I always set my route (and home) games to 3 letters because people think they are cute putting up annoying shit, “game sucks” “bar sucks” “eat pu$$y” “suck d1ck”
    Too much freedom for some to handle in public, and at home apparently.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from greeneye:

If your son in law does that… imagine what else he does

I checked the bourbon level....but if the bastard touched my stash of snacks....

You're exactly right....capable of anything..

#37 2 years ago

A clear violation of etiquette and one that must be responded to strongly and firmly. You need to knock him off the board and replace his challenge with “Beat this Matt”. Preferably several times to make the point. It will drive him crazy next time he comes over…and you *know* he’s going to be checking to see if he’s still there.

I don’t normally advocate this, but……take the glass off if you have to. A point has to be made lol…..

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

including my Son in Law, who loves the pins.

Jealous. Neither of my kids or their significant others love the pins (tolerant, maybe even understand a little or like a little, but not love). I would forgive a multitude of sins if one of my daughters said, we all just wanted to come over and play some pinball!

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

A clear violation of etiquette and one that must be responded to strongly and firmly. You need to knock him off the board and replace his challenge with “Beat this Matt”. Preferably several times to make the point. It will drive him crazy next time he comes over…and you *know* he’s going to be checking to see if he’s still there.
    I don’t normally advocate this, but……take the glass off if you have to. A point has to be made lol…..

LMAO and you are correct!!! Just got him off the board, and shall plant a seed in one of the Characters if he dare try this again on this machine...

When I came to check on him after my nap, he was going between Spidey and BM66, so felt ok..

Snuck up on me w JJPPOTC though, as he usually stays away from that one.

Should have listened to his clue...stated his wrists were killing him the next day...a sure sign of endless multiball...Pirates can just wear me out at times getting through everything, lol...sunk his ship..now for the counter attack!!!

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Jealous. Neither of my kids or their significant others love the pins (tolerant, maybe even understand a little or like a little, but not love). I would forgive a multitude of sins if one of my daughters said, we all just wanted to come over and play some pinball!

4 children...none of them pay much attention past a couple games at best. My Son in Law however, a different story...been good to my daughter for 10 years along w 2 of my Grandchildren so I have to tolerate him.

He obsesses over the Pins, and can tell when I've done anything to them...kinda cool actually, but clearly crossed the line this time..

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Great story and one of the reasons most of us got into pinball from the start, to share a game or laugh with friends and family. I would see it as a fun challenge and opportunity to test his "Man" card on the next visit. In our house as long as my wife doesn't hit GC (never hear the end of that!) all is good. While its fairly second nature to most of us, when a guest has the chance to put their name up they often remember the fun and look forward to another visit. Sometimes its as fun to see others enjoy your hobby as playing yourself.

You are so right! Occasionally it is fun to play alone, but I usually have more fun sharing the game room with others.
    I suggest you get some practice in for the next visit and sort this out like men!
    Game on!!!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Steve_d71:

I suggest you get some practice in for the next visit and sort this out like men!
    Game on!!!

We do play head to head often for fun ( they visit every couple of months or so). I'm only an average player at best, understand what has to be done...execution is another thing, lol.

I really like showing him the different ways to go at the games ....and maybe like watching him figure it out on his own even more.

Pinball is the perfect hobby for me, as my schedule doesn't lend itself to much group play, yet just as satisfying as " me vs machine".

Add the tinkering part, and bam....

In truth, I'm always happy to see family when I can, and always brings a smile watching him enjoying the pins......even when he's "crossed the line"..

#43 2 years ago

All I have to say is Tonya Harding that mofo.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Do you remember what was his score?

Yes, I do. 71,074,470.

http://lefkoff.com/caex/t1g2.html

Besides the normal tourney settings (EB's turned off, tight tilt, mystery equalized), the game had upgraded flipper coils (all three) and wide open out lanes. Pitch was a little over 7 degrees. It was not Ripley's as Pat Lawlor intended. I left the settings the same when I got it home.

#45 2 years ago

I am Guessing all my High Scores are gone then , .Damn. Enjoy The games and the gameroom, Get back them Scores Man!

#46 2 years ago

Can PoTC be configured to log either 3-char initials or longer strings like Stern pins? If so, change it to 3-char and see what happens to his message!

#47 2 years ago

I like it when others knock me down on my games. Gives me something new to shoot for.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

4 children...none of them pay much attention past a couple games at best. My Son in Law however, a different story...been good to my daughter for 10 years along w 2 of my Grandchildren so I have to tolerate him.
    He obsesses over the Pins, and can tell when I've done anything to them...kinda cool actually, but clearly crossed the line this time..

You should give your Daughter, and Son-in-Law, a pin next Christmas. Of course you'll need to visit more often in 2022 and occasionally make your mark in the leaderboards. Lucky to have a pinball family.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

I am Guessing all my High Scores are gone then , .Damn. Enjoy The games and the gameroom, Get back them Scores Man!

Yep...your STLE and TWDLE have both been violated ( in truth TWD still destroys me...still haven't cleared all the board on that one)

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from RockfordReplay:

You should give your Daughter, and Son-in-Law, a pin next Christmas. Of course you'll need to visit more often in 2022 and occasionally make your mark in the leaderboards. Lucky to have a pinball family.

This idea I love!!!! Wonder what I ( mean "they") would want?..

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-your-pin-room-has-been-violated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.