(Topic ID: 217803)

When you want a machine but the seller updates the ad instead???

By FatPanda

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by rotordave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

There is a machine that I am legit serious about paying cash for. I reached out to the seller and said I could come pick up this weekend. The buyer asks when? I say what time works for you? No response yet, but CL ad is updated with more pics and a comment stating that if the ad is up, the machine is still for sale? I even gave my phone number for call or text. I've sent him a couple additional emails hoping that they didn't get routed to spam.

Am I missing something here? Scam perhaps?

#2 11 months ago

If your interested and maybe the only one so far, seller may feel he needs more interest to get top dollar so he revises the ad and pics.
    -Mike

#3 11 months ago

Did you agree with seller on a sale price or even make an offer?? Maybe the seller is weighing his options???? If you’re serious about purchasing his pin, make a serious offer. If he doesn’t respond, move along

#4 11 months ago

This was my first email:

"Hi,

Is this still available? I can come pickup this weekend if it is.

Thanks!
    Quy"

What more do I need to say lol?

#5 11 months ago

Craigslist is always a crapshoot with odds stacked against a cheerful resolution. Accept that you will be disappointed and anything else is a huge win.

#6 11 months ago

Edited: my last response was too critical. Just keep asking him for a time to come by. At least bug the crap out of the guy

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

The buyer asks when? I say what time works for you?

Don't answer a question with another question. Be bold and tell him "I can be there (specific time)."

If you do end up agreeing to meet up, act fast. As more time passes, the seller will get other serious interest. Integrity on craigslist is as common as gasoline in a post-apocalyptic desert wasteland: Be aware of the possibility that the seller will BS you and say something like "Oh I decided to keep it" or "My brother really wants it." This will happen if you throw out an offer before seeing it.

#8 11 months ago

I just must be different. If I list a game with an asking price, and someone tells me what time can I pick it up this weekend, i take that as a serious buyer and will work with that person. I just don't understand people I guess. I'm not going to get into a bidding war if the seller wants to go higher than list price.

#9 11 months ago

Seller may be fishing for interest. Did you agree to the price? Otherwise, he may be stalling and waiting for top dollar.

#10 11 months ago

The assumption on my end is list price since no other price was discussed (not much was discussed honestly). I'm sure he's working with someone else and I'm just getting overly anxious about it. Just tell me it's not available anymore if that's the case...

#11 11 months ago

And I'm checking my Spam folder too, to make sure.

#12 11 months ago

Reply to him with.

Sold when can I pick it up? My phone number is xyz call or text me I have your cash and I’m ready to come get it.

Thanks From fatpanda

#13 11 months ago

I often wonder about sellers lack of responses when selling. Do they really want to sell or are they just looking for some attention? Maybe I've been in the psych industry too long!

There was a pinsider selling a game not too long ago that I wanted. Maybe a 45 minute ride. Here is the correspondence and I maintained confidentiality by removing names and what not. Ultimately the game was listed as sold and then relisted a couple months later. Weird

Me: Would you be able to tell me the height of the topper? I have a low basement. Looks big. Thanks

Him: I will email it to you in the am.

Me: I remember a place in ##### called ######## when I was growing up. Any relation?

Him: I do not know of #######

Me: If you get time to give me that measurement it would be great. Short ride for me to @@@@@@@

Him:9inches above the top of the head. The pin is 761/2 .

Me: Thanks. That should work. I'm working late tonight but will make sure when I get home. My Simpsons should be leaving Friday morning so I should have the cash. Do you have any time Friday afternoon if things work out on my end?

Him: I will be @Texas Pinball Festival Fri-Sun.

Me: Ok. Enjoy. Let me know if you are interested in working something out.

That was it. Shortly after, it was archived as sold and then relisted for sale by the same guy a few months later.

Another guy on here recently sent me a wicked hostile pm because I asked him why he wouldn't respond to me if he is looking to sell something. Crazy!

Why advertise a product if you can't take the time to respond? Responding is pretty damn easy with technology these days no?

#14 11 months ago

texts and emails are sometimes easy to misinterpret tone and intent. He may think you’re just a tire kicker. I’d maybe try another message along the lines of “I want to come look at it and will be ready to buy if I like what I see. Let’s set a time for me to come over.”

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm not going to get into a bidding war if the seller wants to go higher than list price.

CL is now an auction site for pinball machines. List price means nothing. I'd move on.

#16 11 months ago

My last 2 pinball purchases were on Craigslist and were nice deals from great people. My last two attempts to purchase from Pinsiders were disasters.

Edit: I'm not bashing pinside in any way shape or form. My point is that it doesn't matter where you look, you're going to find good and messed up people everywhere. I have bought some great games off of pinside, have received some awesome technical support, and have of course met some great people

#17 11 months ago

Two things:

1. If this is happening right now, he might be busy enjoying the outdoors or off to the cabin to enjoy the weekend. I had a CL seller not respond for three days after my original message.

2. Never hesitate to be persistent. I have clients I work with all the time that have more important things to do than respond to me. It can take two, three, sometimes four plus emails before they respond. I usually start an email like this "I don't mean to be a pest, but..." and I typically get a response every time.

Good luck with your potential purchase.

#18 11 months ago

Don't waste your time with this clown. Buy from someone who gives a shit.

#19 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Craigslist is always a crapshoot

Pinside seems to be one these days too

#20 11 months ago

If the seller didn't want to deal with people this weekend, then the timing of the ad was poor if it didn't fit with his schedule. I've sent probably 4 emails, all very short and to the point, no fluffing, but professional all to the effect of, "Just making sure it got through, I can pick up this weekend, let me know what works for you" etc. Again, if he's outdoors or doing something "holiday-ey," then don't post the Friday before your big plans. I just wanted to get some insight and making sure I didn't miss anything.

Quit wasting people's time!

I think I'm done venting lol

If he responds, then cool, I can pick up this weekend like I've been telling him. If not., whatever. there will always be another.

#21 11 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

This was my first email:
    "Hi,
    Is this still available? I can come pickup this weekend if it is.
    Thanks!
    Quy"
    What more do I need to say lol?

Your email sounds like one of the contact bots that fishes for replies from people who accidentally send with their direct email address. You refer to the item for sale as "this" and ask no specific questions about the item. I typically don't reply to those emails first, either. You can judge the seller all you want, but while he has the item you want and you don't... That's all there is to it.

#22 11 months ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I've sent probably 4 emails, all very short and to the point, no fluffing, but professional

I would move on then.

#23 11 months ago

I think your message is too generic. I do pretty good on craigslist with saying I am interested in your machine for sale followed by please call or text me at the following number thanks. It has worked great for me that way for years. Craigslist can be good or bad depending on seller. Send another message with your phone number saying your interested and if he doesnt respond just move on.

#24 11 months ago
    Quoted from Loganpinball:

I think your message is too generic. I do pretty good on craigslist with saying I am interested in your machine for sale followed by please call or text me at the following number thanks. It has worked great for me that way for years. Craigslist can be good or bad depending on seller. Send another message with your phone number saying your interested and if he doesnt respond just move on.

Totally agree, mention your name and the machine specifically.. dont ne generic or they may ignore your emails..

#25 11 months ago

If you're happy paying the asking price you only need to send one email.
    I have the cash and am available between X and Y on Saturday. I'd like to inspect the machine and buy it. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx

If you send me four emails I know you're high maintenance. I'll deal with someone else.

#26 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Your email sounds like one of the contact bots that fishes for replies from people who accidentally send with their direct email address. You refer to the item for sale as "this" and ask no specific questions about the item. I typically don't reply to those emails first, either. You can judge the seller all you want, but while he has the item you want and you don't... That's all there is to it.

Yep, I’d agree.

You’d be better to write “I’m interested in your <name of pin> and can pop around today to check it out. Give me a call or text on 555-555-555 and we can sort out a time to suit. I’m free all afternoon. Cheers, Bob. “

That way you’re humanising the message, and your number gives him the means to get back to you.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 109.99
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 10.95
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside