(Topic ID: 55398)

Poll: When Did You Start Playing Pinball Regularly?

By Newsom

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by drsfmd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Poll: When Did You Start Playing Pinball Regularly?”

• 2010's 50 votes
      29%
    • 2005-2009 24 votes
      14%
    • 2000-2004 11 votes
      6%
    • 1995-1999 12 votes
      7%
    • 1990-1994 11 votes
      6%
    • 1985-1989 11 votes
      6%
    • 1980-1984 13 votes
      8%
    • 1970's 32 votes
      19%
    • 1960's or before 6 votes
      4%

(170 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

I understand that many here on Pinside bought there first machine within the last year or so, but when did you start playing regularly?

And by regularly, I'm thinking at least once or twice a month.

"Break in service" is okay, I'm curious as to when was the first period of time that you played a good amount of pin.

#2 10 years ago

I've never played as much pinball as I am playing now. I had my first pin in 92 (still have it, DW) and bought a second in 07 (FGY) but this past year I have started playing about three times a week and I even travel to go play.

#3 10 years ago

I love it, there is something about the angles and the unknown speed variables, that i just can't get by kicking my 9 year old sons butt in COD...

#4 10 years ago

Started at the fun arcade in Metairie near New Orleans around 1986. Used to play almost every weekend

#5 10 years ago

I really started playing on a regular basis in jr.high. I had a paper route after school and I would always stop at this little mom and pop store and play big brave and wizard. this was 1977.before that I would play pinball with my dad but at the point of 77 I was playing by myself or with friends almost every day.

#6 10 years ago

I grew up playing pinball. We had a Bow and Arrow and i remember playing it standing on a chair so i could see.

#7 10 years ago

I played pinball once in a while growing up, but I mostly played arcade games. I didn't start playing regularly until I bought High Speed about 5 years ago. I still played mostly arcade games though. Pinball play started to outpace arcade game play last year when I bought STTNG and DM. The System 11 games are fun to play once in a while, but the DMD games are really fun for me.

High Speed, Pinbot, and STTNG are really the only pins I played until the last few years. I played others once in a while, but those 3 defined pinball for me. I am going to be selling the Pinbot and HS though. I don't play them enough with the WPC games there. I will enjoy them at CAX and PAGG though. lol

#8 10 years ago

I was 9 years old when I first walked into a Bowling alley with loads of pinball machines in 1983, I was instantly hooked from that moment. For some reason I was drawn to them

#9 10 years ago

Mid 70's as a teenager in W. Lafayette, IN.
    Of course there has been a couple gaps of years of not playing pins

#10 10 years ago

Early 80s as a teenager. We played about once per week during the school year, but then 2-3 times per week in the summer at a local strip mall. Good times, great memories.

#11 10 years ago

I played pins in arcades BITD, but I started regularly playing in 1995 at local pool halls and started almost daily in 1996 at the Coffman Union gameroom while I was attending the University of Minnesota. It was an absolute mecca of pinball machines and the competition there was top notch. Same thing for all the fighting arcade games back then. I took a break in the early 2000's but got back into it in the late 2000's when I got into competitive playing.

#12 10 years ago

I played some pin in the arcades when I was a kid around the time TAF and TZ were out. Hadn't seen a pin in 10 years until I moved to Pittsburgh in 2010 and started playing all the time.

#13 10 years ago

Shortly after I learned to walk.

#14 10 years ago

Late 90's.....would get to work early (bowling alley) to play a few games before work....life was so simple than.

#15 10 years ago

Early 70's. Me and my buddy Doug would jump the fence most every summer day at the local amusement park and head straight for the arcade. If we ran out of money early, we'd steal coins out of the wishing well so we could keep playing. We had it bad.

#16 10 years ago

I didnt even care about pinball until less than a year ago. I didnt really grow up with it either (born in 1989). Just caught the bug and now I cant get enough.

#17 10 years ago

I started in the early 60's, But started playing regularly, when I stopped getting Laid regularly!

#18 10 years ago

In between tournament matches of mk2. Tri state champ de nj pa bitches 1993

#19 10 years ago

Where is the 2013 option? I'm new as of March.

Even as a kid in arcades I played more of the video games as I would have a limited number of quarters and I could simply play Donkey Kong or others longer than I could a pin. For me it was bang for the $.25.

I am VERY glad I looked into this back Feb. This has been the most fun hobby I've ever been a part of.

Darin

#20 10 years ago

Many cool stories here.

Myself, I did not play pinball much until about when Cyclone came out.
    The allure of the replay helped me quickly transition from video games to pinball.
    We used to ride our bicycles to the 7-11s, bowling alleys, and arcades to play pin.

By the time the 90s came around I was fully addicted and I missed many classes in college while playing TAF, FH, TZ, BSD, STTNG, etc.

#21 10 years ago

My parents took me to a local arcade in 1970 at the coast in the Netherlands at The Hague.
    The virus has never left. In the end I was spoilt as the place was a beta arcade for pinball in the Netherlands. EM were many games from Bally, Williams, D. Gottlieb - not so popular in NL - and even Chicago Coin. Around the end of the seventies the importer for Stern was also in The Hague (Den Haag in Dutch) and most of the games were placed in the arcade. Later Alvin G and Capcom games were there as well before the pinball era came to an end. Having played over eight hundred different games from all eras was a bit of a advantage when playing at Pinburgh this year.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

In between tournament matches of mk2. Tri state champ de nj pa bitches 1993

What did you win?

#23 10 years ago

Early 70's while in college I started playing in earnest; wasn't that good then and not really much better now. Put a lot of quarters in Fireball.

Come to think of it, I also can't drink as much beer as I could in '72.

It's hell getting older...

Robert

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

What did you win?

500 cash a sound track cd a t shirt and a 200 dollar gift certificate to funco land.

I was 16 at the time. Lived 4 blocks from the boardwalk and did nothing but play Mk2 for a entire summer. My father worked at dupont at the time and I had access to what was at the time "INTERNET" I had the complete move lists for all revisions.

#25 10 years ago

I don't know if I've ever done any hobby "regularly" for any length of time.

I've been playing pinball since 1977 or so......but not regularly. I've probably been more regular with console gaming.....been playing and have owned one or more system(s) since 1976.

I've done scuba diving, astrophotography, competitive pistol shooting, motorcycles, home theater (that's pretty regular.....just watch a movie at home....with at a least a modicum of equipment and surround sound ), golfing, weightlifting.......etc.....but most of it comes and goes.

#26 10 years ago

1989-1993 and then pretty much not at all until 2010.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

500 cash a sound track cd a t shirt and a 200 dollar gift certificate to funco land.
    I was 16 at the time. Lived 4 blocks from the boardwalk and did nothing but play Mk2 for a entire summer. My father worked at dupont at the time and I had access to what was at the time "INTERNET" I had the complete move lists for all revisions.

Nice!
    I never got any good at those games, but they sure were popular.

I remember being online around that time (I was in college) and finding RGP. I was excited to read that there were shows and tournaments.
    Though it took me a while to go to any of them. Expo 2000 was my first.

#28 10 years ago

Probably 1979 or 1980, it was just before the Pacman craze. I know for a fact I was playing Gorgar.

#29 10 years ago

Started in late 90s, but came back to it in 2009.

#30 10 years ago

Around '84 or '85, I was about 10 or 11. Played a haunted house at sevvy and I was hooked.

#31 10 years ago

Unlike many here, I have no fond memories of arcades and vintage
    pinball machines from whan I was a kid. Discovered the hobby when I
    bought my first pin to help fill our empty, 'new' house. Then all 'heck'
    broke loose! That was in 1987. Still enjoy playing every day but need
    a much bigger house.
    Steve

#32 10 years ago

1980 to 1984. The golden era of gamerooms!!!!! Gosh I'm glad I grew up during that unique and never to be repeated time.

The Gottliebs EMs were still all on route. The new Bally SS games were showing up nearly every week. Then there were the game changers like when they first rolled in the Black Knight! And that's not even mentioning all the fun I had playing the early video games.

Good times.

-Jim

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Gosh I'm glad I grew up during that unique and never to be repeated time.

No doubt! It really was a truly unique and exciting era to be a kid.

#34 10 years ago

Just over a year ago. Never really played as a kid. (I only remember playing a handful of times in high school) I sarted playing early 2012, but didn't get totally hooked until after a visit to the Silver Ball Museum in Jersey last July 4th weekend. Bought my first machine a couple of months back, now I'm looking for machine #2.

#35 10 years ago

I'm surprised to see so few votes for the 80's and 90's.
    I would have thought that there were many people here who are in their 30's and 40's and would have grown up playing some pin. Especially since location pin was all over the place in the 80's and 90's compared to now.
    Nice to see the 70's having strong representation.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Nice to see the 70's having strong representation.

A little bird told me that Stern's next music pin will be Janis Joplin.

♫ Oh lord, won't you buy me, a pinball machine ♪

#37 10 years ago

Must be around 1979 i think. My nephew had a pin at home. Dont remember which one.

#38 10 years ago

Started in 50s - neighbor had one in their basement and there were a number of machines in the pool hall downtown (mother did not approve, oh well). Played in college in 60's and with my son in the 70s. Now play with both grown children = just back from Seattle visiting son with trip planned around NW show.

#39 10 years ago

I seem to recall playing as often as possible around 1969-70. Each week when my mom would go to the grocery store, there I was helping her place items in the cart. At least for the first five minutes or so. After that, it was off to the small game area between the grocery store and Target. Pins were 10 cents a play or so. No game or games stand out from that time period.

A few years after that, pinball arcades sprung up all around the neighborhood. I could walk in almost any direction and find locations each filled with 20 or more pins within a mile or so from the house. It was great. Pinball machines in the 1970s in St Louis was everywhere: arcades, bowling alleys, grocery stores, bars, quick shops, barber shops, hotels, department stores. Only place you didn't seem to find pins was at church. River cruising ship "The Admiral" on the Mississippi had an entire floor dedicated to pins and other coin op devices.

Remember when Fireball came out, didn't play it much because it was so hard to beat. Found Gottlieb games easiest to beat, followed by Williams, and Bally was the toughest. It was fun to play Nip-it, using that metal thing to grab or smack the ball, trying to last as long as possible on Travel Time. One of the tech guys was always spraying silicone on the spinner arms for different games. We would follow him around after he was done and play those games just to see the spinner whip around.

Probably played the most pin of my youth in 1974, had plenty of pocket change from grass cutting jobs, and since I was in middle school plenty of time, too. It was such a cool time to play pin, as every month or every few weeks it seemed, there was a new game to play at the arcades. As much as my friends and I would miss a game leaving, another one would come in to fill the gap. It got to where we would seek out certain games that we knew we could beat, just to see how long we could play on a quarter. At that time, some arcades were charging 2 games/quarter with five balls, and other arcades were 3 games/quarter with three balls. Satin Doll, Bow and Arrow, Delta Queen, and Top Card stand out from that time period. We could rack up games and play for hours, then occasionally sell them to someone and get our money back. When that happened, we would walk out of the arcade like kings!

#40 10 years ago

aLways found them fascinating, but never saw them around often enough to play much. my college back in the late 90s had a Mousin Around i put quite a few quarters into, but honestly my interest didnt spike until the last year or so.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

I seem to recall playing as often as possible around 1969-70. Each week when my mom would go to the grocery store, there I was helping her place items in the cart. At least for the first five minutes or so. After that, it was off to the small game area between the grocery store and Target. Pins were 10 cents a play or so. No game or games stand out from that time period.
    A few years after that, pinball arcades sprung up all around the neighborhood. I could walk in almost any direction and find locations each filled with 20 or more pins within a mile or so from the house. It was great. Pinball machines in the 1970s in St Louis was everywhere: arcades, bowling alleys, grocery stores, bars, quick shops, barber shops, hotels, department stores. Only place you didn't seem to find pins was at church. River cruising ship "The Admiral" on the Mississippi had an entire floor dedicated to pins and other coin op devices.
    Remember when Fireball came out, didn't play it much because it was so hard to beat. Found Gottlieb games easiest to beat, followed by Williams, and Bally was the toughest. It was fun to play Nip-it, using that metal thing to grab or smack the ball, trying to last as long as possible on Travel Time. One of the tech guys was always spraying silicone on the spinner arms for different games. We would follow him around after he was done and play those games just to see the spinner whip around.
    Probably played the most pin of my youth in 1974, had plenty of pocket change from grass cutting jobs, and since I was in middle school plenty of time, too. It was such a cool time to play pin, as every month or every few weeks it seemed, there was a new game to play at the arcades. As much as my friends and I would miss a game leaving, another one would come in to fill the gap. It got to where we would seek out certain games that we knew we could beat, just to see how long we could play on a quarter. At that time, some arcades were charging 2 games/quarter with five balls, and other arcades were 3 games/quarter with three balls. Satin Doll, Bow and Arrow, Delta Queen, and Top Card stand out from that time period. We could rack up games and play for hours, then occasionally sell them to someone and get our money back. When that happened, we would walk out of the arcade like kings!

Wow, multiple locations with 20+ pins in a 1 mile radius!
    Great post Brian. I really enjoy hearing stories about location pin.

I don't think anywhere in all of Hampton Roads even had 10 pins when I was growing up.
    I used to sell credits as a kid as well. Especially at places that had 2 levels of replay.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

Wow, multiple locations with 20+ pins in a 1 mile radius!
    Great post Brian. I really enjoy hearing stories about location pin.
    I don't think anywhere in all of Hampton Roads even had 10 pins when I was growing up.
    I used to sell credits as a kid as well. Especially at places that had 2 levels of replay.

To top it off, there were also two bowling alleys within walking distance, each with five pins. Not to forget Lambert St Louis International airport, a bit further walk with 6-8 pins. We loved the airport pins because there were always free credits to be found. I guess because people would have to leave to catch their flights? Who knows.

Both bowling alleys rotated games much faster than the arcades, and one alley always had the latest Bally game. Arcades were mostly Gottlieb, with Williams, Bally and the occasional Chicago Coin game, not to forget Sonic a few years later. An ice skating rink, also within easy walking distance, still had several older 2" flipper games years after the change to 3" flippers. I guess they must have owned their own games. A couple of hotels were within walking distance and had game rooms, too. I was run out of one of them by mgmt after they found out I wasn't a guest. After Wizard by Bally came out, we started seeing more Bally pins as a proportion to other pins through the end of the '70s. This "pinball heaven" condition lasted for about ten years or so.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

To top it off, there were also two bowling alleys within walking distance, each with five pins. Not to forget Lambert St Louis International airport, a bit further walk with 6-8 pins. We loved the airport pins because there were always free credits to be found. I guess because people would have to leave to catch their flights? Who knows.
    Both bowling alleys rotated games much faster than the arcades, and one alley always had the latest Bally game. Arcades were mostly Gottlieb, with Williams, Bally and the occasional Chicago Coin game, not to forget Sonic a few years later. An ice skating rink, also within easy walking distance, still had several older 2" flipper games years after the change to 3" flippers. I guess they must have owned their own games. A couple of hotels were within walking distance and had game rooms, too. I was run out of one of them by mgmt after they found out I wasn't a guest. After Wizard by Bally came out, we started seeing more Bally pins as a proportion to other pins through the end of the '70s. This "pinball heaven" condition lasted for about ten years or so.

Awesome!

I don't know if there was ever a pinball heaven condition in Virginia Beach, as I did not start seeking out pin until 87/88.
    All of the 7-11s had a pin or two then. All bowling alleys had at least a couple of pins. The mall arcades would have about 4 or so pins and the Flipper McCoy arcades would have 6-10 pins. The occasional restaurant would have a pin as well.
    We had a ton of Pinbots and Cyclones, as well as many HS pins.

Later when I was in Charlottesville, VA, from 91-94, all of the 7-11s had pins, as well as the bowling alley.
    I played so much pin at the 7-11s that when the employees went on break in the middle of the night, they would lock up the store with me in it, and then come back 15 or so minutes later and unlock it and go back to work.

Quoted from BrianBannon:

A couple of hotels were within walking distance and had game rooms, too. I was run out of one of them by mgmt after they found out I wasn't a guest.

haha

#44 10 years ago

I wasn't really aware of pinball so much growing up, but toward the end of college, like 1995 or so, I found out about Good Times, a very large arcade in Somerville, MA. I became thoroughly addicted to Theater of Magic as well as arcade games Primal Rage and Bubble Bobble. That was the point where I became aware enough of pinball to know a specific machine title I liked a lot, such that, when I came across one at an airport, I was appropriately excited to see it.

#45 10 years ago

about 1974

#46 10 years ago

Started playing regularly in about '68 in my parents bar.

#47 10 years ago

Mid/Late 70's.Pins were at all the malls.Right next to the headshops....I mean record stores

#48 10 years ago

Used to hit the Time Out and Galaxy arcades in Massapequa L.I. regularly in junior high, 1978-1980, but never really played pinball much. That all changed when more sophisticated SS tables like Firepower, Firepower II, Black Knight, Haunted House and Black Hole appeared in the 1980's. My friend Geoff and I would pop quarters into BK and FP, which were set up next to each other, and whenever one of us lost a ball we'd switch machines, back and forth in the middle of our games.

#49 10 years ago

I got my first pin a year ago and never played much in the 80's. I'm 38 so they were around....just don't recall playing many except at a Mexican restaurant that was always busy in the day. Now I'm on here reading every day and have been building some virtual pins for folks because while I like real pins the convenience, versatility, and cost of a virtual is awesome...especially if you make a mid size that is more space efficient. I NEVER EVER thought I'd own a pinball in my own home let alone 3 and my rotating stock of virtuals.. I love it.

#50 10 years ago

became a regular when i bought one for my wife's 30th birthday....been an addict ever since.

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-you-started-playing-pinball-regularly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.