Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NightTrain
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BUSHvOBAMA_jobsREV.png
    popcorn.gif
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago

Can you guys cut the political crap out. Its against the forum rules. Not the place.

#102 11 years ago

I apologize for the political post. It's inappropriate for this forum.

It's election time, there's a lot of rhetoric going on and it seems there's more than a little casual Obama bashing on Pinside. And your right, politics don't belong here. I don't start the political discussions but I figured maybe I could finish them by making a point to respond to the more flippant and non-sequitur postings. Especially the ones that seem preposterous or ill informed.

It's a losing battle anyway, so perhaps I can learn to hold my tongue.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I apologize for the political post. It's inappropriate for this forum.

I forgive you.

After that debate performance I'd be frustrated and upset too.

#104 11 years ago

Well, we ALWAYS overpay unless its a "project" pin...... We live where there aren't many pins around! So you hear about all these sweet deals that exist in MN or IL but not around here! Don't feel bad, just be aware that since items in your hobby cost hundreds to thousands of dollars there is larger margin for profit seeking. Because you are young, you will develope some good negotiation, bargaining, and comparison shopping skills in this hobby. You will also start to be able to smell the bullshitt&rs from clear across the country! It will be an amazing skill that will serve you well through life. You will also find some really cool people you can count on forever! I don't want to sound like your mother, but I would encourage you to stay in the hobby. POTC WILL appreciate in value, but over time. College is stressful enough as it is. You are in this hobby to enjoy it.... So do what you must to make playing and having fun with your pins the main thing and first priority. It should be a break from work/study. If POTC isn't really fun for you, just sell it (cash is best). Because FUN is the main reason for this hobby.... Not really thrill seeking or adventure......FUN. I also would encourage you to keep a record or sort of "scrapbook" of all your pins... Records make selling easier and are fun to look back on over the years- you'll need serial numbers for insurance purposes anyway....
    So what pins do you enjoy? Let's start there.

#105 11 years ago
    Quoted from seanymph:

Well, we ALWAYS overpay unless its a "project" pin...... We live where there aren't many pins around! So you hear about all these sweet deals that exist in MN or IL but not around here! Don't feel bad, just be aware that since items in your hobby cost hundreds to thousands of dollars there is larger margin for profit seeking. Because you are young, you will develope some good negotiation, bargaining, and comparison shopping skills in this hobby. You will also start to be able to smell the bullshitt&rs from clear across the country! It will be an amazing skill that will serve you well through life. You will also find some really cool people you can count on forever! I don't want to sound like your mother, but I would encourage you to stay in the hobby. POTC WILL appreciate in value, but over time. College is stressful enough as it is. You are in this hobby to enjoy it.... So do what you must to make playing and having fun with your pins the main thing and first priority. It should be a break from work/study. If POTC isn't really fun for you, just sell it (cash is best). Because FUN is the main reason for this hobby.... Not really thrill seeking or adventure......FUN. I also would encourage you to keep a record or sort of "scrapbook" of all your pins... Records make selling easier and are fun to look back on over the years- you'll need serial numbers for insurance purposes anyway....
    So what pins do you enjoy? Let's start there.

I have a spreadsheet with what I paid for any game I've bought, what I put into it (shopping, mods, etc.), and what it sold for if I sold it. It's interesting to see what I've paid for the games I have when you add and subtract profits and losses. And it's true, I have the cost of the first game I ever bought, a Magic Sword video game in a Track & Field cabinet. It fell off the truck on the way home and smashed on the highway. Actually profited from that one by selling the parts...

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I have a spreadsheet with what I paid for any game I've bought

Yep

#108 11 years ago
    #109 11 years ago

I have a binder with those plastic envelope pages to hold receipts, mods, and pictures of all our games. It helps me remember the stories around every game. We basically only ever broke even when we sold, but we are in it just for fun. Its not a side-business.

#111 11 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

I forgive you.

OK, now cut the political crap out!

#112 11 years ago

OT: I had to stop watching Storage Wars because of all the Yep! Yep! calls, and because it was fake. But I'd love to watch all you guys go nuts over a storage unit full of mostly-wrapped up pins.

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

OT: I had to stop watching Storage Wars because of all the Yep! Yep! calls

Haven't watched it. Coming from a family of hoarders, I would find it too depressing I would think.

NOPE, not doing it.

#114 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

OT: I had to stop watching Storage Wars because of all the Yep! Yep! calls, and because it was fake. But I'd love to watch all you guys go nuts over a storage unit full of mostly-wrapped up pins.

I can deal with the Yep calls just to see Brandy

#115 11 years ago
    Quoted from rplante:

I forgive you.

Tru effing that.

#116 11 years ago
    Quoted from awarner:

I have a spreadsheet with what I paid for any game I've bought, what I put into it

My wife had me do the same thing after she saw me spending a lot on pins. I've thought about sharing it with the group, maybe sometime in the future.

Bought my first pin in 2010. I was fortunate to find a few good deals (ie 100 scared stiff, 50 Theatre of magic), sell a few games, and make a few repairs. I now have my colleciton paid for, but I am on the hunt for some new games.

Current collection: SJ, VND (project / parting out), SS, JP, and HUO Sopranos

#117 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

They told me I would take a $500 loss if I brought it back in. I reset the audits on the machine the moment I first turned it on at home. It only got about 29 total plays since then. I'm in college, so playing pinball isn't always the best use of my time.

I guess you slept through the finance classes

#118 11 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I guess you slept through the finance classes

BAM!

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-you-paid-too-much-and-want-out/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.