Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by meSz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

01AC066E-DDE0-4928-B7AE-774C016E7CE9 (resized).jpeg
    997F11BE-5AAF-47F1-84CF-715571479AD5 (resized).png
    2F5C3CA1-F2B8-42D6-8649-D551AB2AB809 (resized).png
    D7BE93DE-962C-41A3-BD48-A5BD8B1E9A25 (resized).png
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Not sure if the dude can spoof email addys, but skanthedj at gmail pulled up this: https://www.skanthedj.com/

#52 5 years ago

First, sorry this happened to you my pinball brother, but I can tell you this... the way I found Pinside was when I decided to get back into the hobby!! I was very trusting. Found two machines I wanted from the same Pinsider, didn’t know squat about buying used machines and got taken.

Yes I did end up with both machines, but man did I over pay. Totally my own fault for trusting someone. Grrrrrrrrr.

I later sold both machines at auction for about half of what I paid for each one. But hey I learned and in the process found a great group of people in the hobby!!

So I chalked it up to an expensive lesson learned.

Hopefully you can get some $ back out of all this.

Good luck.

#53 5 years ago

Cops said they won’t but call my local police they will start it and if they need their help in Tacoma they will help lol

#54 5 years ago

Your right he’s on social media everywhere so i called and called and texted a pile of times ..

Simply said be a man at least refund some of my cash keep half for all I care but to not answer is cowardly and maybe I will send someone to Georgia for my cash ...

#55 5 years ago

Probably suggested before. It would be nice if when a new account is opened that selling games is not allowed for x number of months and or topic posts etc.
    This way we can get a track record of who were dealing with. Heck why not tiered selling ? This would be after new account is opened they can sell anything under 100.00. After x number of successful transactions or 1 year on pinside they can sell $1k items. Upon positive feedback on completed transactions it goes to 1500 etc.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Probably suggested before. It would be nice if when a new account is opened that selling games is not allowed for x number of months and or topic posts etc.
    This way we can get a track record of who were dealing with. Heck why not tiered selling ? This would be after new account is opened they can sell anything under 100.00. After x number of successful transactions or 1 year on pinside they can sell $1k items. Upon positive feedback on completed transactions it goes to 1500 etc.

If Pinside is still Robin's full time meal ticket, it would be difficult for him to turn away legit higher selling fees for the honest new sellers.

#57 5 years ago

I’ve suggested this countless times on this site.

Without action from the powers that be, it’s quite obvious this lack of action is out of penny wise and pound foolish greed.

In theory limiting the people that can post FS ads limits the revenue the site can generate. Of course 99% of these new member FS posts are scams so it’s not going to translate to revenue anyways (but only the users can realize this).

Meanwhile people like me who actually donate to this site and post legit FS ads get frustrated and jaded by the lack of action to combat spammers and scammers, and as a result question whether our next games will be posted here, which is an ACTUAL stream of revenue this site has... but is gambling to lose.

#58 5 years ago

someone already posted the information

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not sure if the dude can spoof email addys, but skanthedj at gmail pulled up this: https://www.skanthedj.com/

It is easy to spoof an email address to send email, to be able to receive email and correspond back and forth is a level of skill that would not be used by someone to scam a few grand.

#60 5 years ago

Sorry you got scammed. That's a really hard and expensive lesson.

Looks like you can add reviews to his Facebook page and his Google business listing....

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Localspeedshop:

Your right he’s on social media everywhere so i called and called and texted a pile of times ..
    Simply said be a man at least refund some of my cash keep half for all I care but to not answer is cowardly and maybe I will send someone to Georgia for my cash ...

LOL. If you're willing to give away 4 grand I call bullshit. People sending tough guys don't give advance warning just quietly. You're only making them laugh more. And what is a PINSODE Purchase?

#62 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

It is easy to spoof an email address to send email, to be able to receive email and correspond back and forth is a level of skill that would not be used by someone to scam a few grand.

Agreed that emails can be spoofed for communication but it looks like op sent PayPal to that actual email address.
    If op typed it in for PayPal payment then it went to that that email address. Not a spoofed email. If this DJ person takes PayPal through that email address then it is him. Is this the same guy that was using a fake Facebook account to scam people out of money on FB?

#63 5 years ago

Well I got to say it after reading all this post I see nowhere where the guy who claims he got ripped off has contacted PayPal in any way shape or form so my question is has even contacted them and if so what did he find out if he hasn't contacted PayPal the only person he's got to blame as himself just because you paid with friends and family doesn't mean he can't contact PayPal for some help so has he contacted them or hasn't it be nice to know

#64 5 years ago

That really sucks. Have you tried calling your credit card bank and dispute the charge?

#65 5 years ago

Yeah the guy gets on here and complains and complains but he doesn't say about anything about what he's doing about it call your credit card company contact PayPal come on what are you doing don't just come here bitching about it

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Yeah the guy gets on here and complains and complains but he doesn't say about anything about what he's doing about it call your credit card company contact PayPal come on what are you doing don't just come here bitching about it

He did state it was from cash, not CC.
    Agreed that he should call Paypal even if it was friends/family payment. They should have some kind of record of who the person is.

#67 5 years ago

Quoted from Yoko2una:

I’ve suggested this countless times on this site.
    Without action from the powers that be, it’s quite obvious this lack of action is out of penny wise and pound foolish greed.
    In theory limiting the people that can post FS ads limits the revenue the site can generate. Of course 99% of these new member FS posts are scams so it’s not going to translate to revenue anyways (but only the users can realize this).
    Meanwhile people like me who actually donate to this site and post legit FS ads get frustrated and jaded by the lack of action to combat spammers and scammers, and as a result question whether our next games will be posted here, which is an ACTUAL stream of revenue this site has... but is gambling to lose.

You're only seeing one small aspect of the situation.

We have had several legitimate first-time sellers who joined the site to sell a game. Sometimes they sell and then leave, and sometimes they stay and continue with the hobby. I'm sure you've seen a few ads where a seller has inherited a game, or gotten a game from a friend, or was selling a house, or several other scenarios. Not everyone who is a new member is a scammer. Around maybe 1 in 300 new members might actually be a scammer that successfully slips through.

No, it's not about the funds that the ads generate. It's about being welcoming for someone joining the community and not having too many road blocks in place to deter new members from joining or participating. There are several restrictions in place and several hoops that new members have to jump through, but unfortunately, some scammers are clever and can find ways around them. Scammers are also patient. They will also wait for all the timed restrictions to expire, then go active with their scams.

Additionally, not all scammers post ads. Some just send PMs.

So, if some scammers can get around the restrictions and verification/authentication methods in place, what exactly do you propose? Just adding more and more restrictions just impedes new users from participating. The current restrictions already turn away a lot of new members as it is.

Additionally, there are several warning messages displayed on new accounts about being cautious concerning new members, both in the marketplace and within PMs. It's up to the buyer to take those warnings into account when participating in a potential transaction.

We are also very responsive when members report possible scams. Unfortunately, not all members are proactive in reporting them--sometimes they just hit delete and move on, and sometimes they are just embarrassed about falling for a scam. So if you suspect something, please make sure to tell us about it to help protect other members.

There is quite a lot that happens behind the scenes that you don't see in order to try to deter them as much as possible. For obvious reasons, we won't go into details in a public post that scammers can also read.

Scams are by no means unique to pinball, but they are a little bit newer to pinball since scammers figured out how to make it profitable for them, especially with the rapid influx of people who are new to the hobby. Scammers are tricky and tend to change up their tactics when people start catching on. It's a cat and mouse game.

So, yes, it's very unfortunate that scammers try to infiltrate the hobby, but thankfully, they are the exception and not the rule.

Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed that emails can be spoofed for communication but it looks like op sent PayPal to that actual email address.
    If op typed it in for PayPal payment then it went to that that email address. Not a spoofed email. If this DJ person takes PayPal through that email address then it is him. Is this the same guy that was using a fake Facebook account to scam people out of money on FB?

Paypal accounts can be hacked. Scammers can sometimes take over legitimate & authenticated accounts, run their scams through them, transfer the money out, and then they're gone and onto the next hacked account.

#68 5 years ago

Maybe if you sell a machine through Pinside, Robin can set up some kind of escrow account and do it all from here. And collect a fee....

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Maybe if you sell a machine through Pinside, Robin can set up some kind of escrow account and do it all from here. And collect a fee....

The idea has been brought up before, but that is a whole other can of worms. Lots of liabilities, insurance, regulations, compliance, etc. It's much easier said than done.

#71 5 years ago

I got burned by a seller who is a large distributor that still posts on here to this day.

I saw an advertisement for a LOTR about 8 years ago. The seller brought the game to a show for me to buy. I trusted him as he said the cabinet was a 10/10 and the playfield a 9/10. I was only a year or two into buying pins, trusted the seller and didn't check the game when I got it at the show.

Well, the cabinet was touched up in several places, especially around the flippers. The major issue though was the playfield had a gouge in it down to the wood where the Balrog swivels back and forth. I contacted the seller about it and he acted like it was no big deal and told me to just fill and paint it...

When I sold the game I took pictures of the area I attempted to repair and told the new buyer about it.

#72 5 years ago

C'mon Panzer....he didn't take $6000 of yer money and run/no machine. That sucks for ya, no doubt, but atleast you had a machine.
    OP was the first person to contact me about my ACDC and I've been putting off tellin him that I can't accept PayPal. Sorry man, not from a new guy. I REALLY wish we woulda had this conversation now. I feel like maybe I coulda steered you clear of this bullshit. Sorry bud.
    Please let us know how this turns out. Either way, these mf's need STOMPED.
    On the ACDC,...you were 1st. I always honor my word. But I do have a couple local guys that don't even want pics.
    Best of luck bro.

#73 5 years ago

Note to self: don't tell people they're first anymore.

#74 5 years ago

Bruce it sure was ... and they don’t really care regardless I offered them to keep 1000 and return the rest as I’m aware now of what was going on .. nothing for response of course ..

But around here this stuff doesn’t fly and yes I can send the goon it’s moee effective and why not I’m out the cash regardless !

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Note to self: don't tell people they're first anymore.

Ok will grab another one as well then didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to PayPal ..

I’m truthful and honour every payment .. hopefully will be able to compete a few transactions on here to gain some feedback in a positive manner .

As for PayPal they have been contacted not sure why some people have to act like d&@$ and say I’m complaining I’m not I’ve shared as much info as possible so that others may get contacted by these people won’t take a loss ..

I have a pm this am will screen shot not sure if they are legit ..

Just like a pm saying i work in IT and can track down info ... all I want is to stop this from happening to others

#76 5 years ago

This sucks. I have always been a cash on glass buyer knowing there are so many scams out there.

#77 5 years ago

Alex I sure wish I could ... but in today’s market from my experience that is everyone is way closer to the machines then me .. so I can physically drive to get there to do so ..

I usually pay in advance and have one of the guys I alhave used to ship to pick up .

It’s a lesson learned is all .. currently working a deal with two other trusting oknaoders so will keep moving along as I have no other choice cause I’m addicted to pins lol

#78 5 years ago

Ok will grab another one as well then didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to PayPal ..
    I’m truthful and honour every payment .. hopefully will be able to compete a few transactions on here to gain some feedback in a positive manner .
    As for PayPal they have been contacted not sure why some people have to act like d&@$ and say I’m complaining I’m not I’ve shared as much info as possible so that others may get contacted by these people won’t take a loss ..
    I have a pm this am will screen shot not sure if they are legit ..
    Just like a pm saying i work in IT and can track down info ... all I want is to stop this from happening to others

Why not use escrow.com? You could make your payment using paypal. Fees are probably around $200?

#79 5 years ago

Alex I sure wish I could ... but in today’s market from my experience that is everyone is way closer to the machines then me .. so I can physically drive to get there to do so ..
    I usually pay in advance and have one of the guys I alhave used to ship to pick up .
    It’s a lesson learned is all .. currently working a deal with two other trusting oknaoders so will keep moving along as I have no other choice cause I’m addicted to pins lol

I will drive up to eight hours for the right pin. Shipping involves dangers in getting ripped off via money and quality. It also runs the risk of shipping damage. Watch some of the forklift drivers in warehouses. That should help you change your mind.

Lastly, you get to meet new pinheads. I've had great conversations that last hours! They also may give you good access to high demand games in the future. My advice to everyone is to stick to CASH ON GLASS. Too many benefits.

#80 5 years ago

ForceFlow: I wonder if it might make sense to have a prominent "new buyers click here" link with buying advice. (In my mind: escrow! and a link to vid's guide).

#81 5 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

ForceFlow: I wonder if it might make sense to have a prominent "new buyers click here" link with buying advice. (In my mind: escrow! and a link to vid's guide).

Vid's guide is a stickied tread, but I'm sure not every first timer digs around on the forums too much.

Some sort of welcome message could be an interesting idea.

#82 5 years ago

Cops said they won’t but call my local police they will start it and if they need their help in Tacoma they will help lol

So you were a victim of identity theft, they hacked your account and sent funds to their accounts . Yep that sounds like something the police should handle, along with Paypal once you have a copy of the police report in hand to send them.

Pinball isn't the only game you can play......

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

So you were a victim of identity theft, they hacked your account and sent funds to their accounts . Yep that sounds like something the police should handle, along with Paypal once you have a copy of the police report in hand to send them.
    Pinball isn't the only game you can play......

file a false police report is your advice?

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-you-get-burned-on-your-first-pinsode-purchase-/page/2?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.