(Topic ID: 238697)

When you get a new machine home ALWAY CHECK THE FUSES!

By uncivil_engineer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Well I learned a hard lesson this weekend. I swapped out the power board in my system 11 Millionaire machine on Friday to test a power board I picked up off eBay. After I played a few games, and let it run a few hours, I was satisfied the board worked. So I went ahead and pulled the board out and put the original power supply back in. What I didn’t realize at the time was the fact that the high voltage plug was missing the key plug, and I installed it one pin off...

I turned on the machine and a hell of a lot of smoke game out of my display board. I noticed it right away, and quickly turned it off, but I was too late, the damage was done. I had sent -100 volt down the 100 volt line. I checked over my power board and discovered the high voltage fuse that should have been a 0.25 amp fuse was actually a 3 amp fuse! This explained the ample amount of smoke that was released when I turned it on.

So I spent my shop time this weekend getting my Millionaire back up and running. Luckily I had most of the parts on hand. In the end the repair toll was quite heavy and included two 6021s (both U41 and U51 that drive the display segments), Five TC4050 hex buffers (donated temporary from my GL) and most painfully three UDM7180As I’ve been saving for a rainy day. I had to replace pretty much every chip involved with the display segment drivers.

I think a lot of this damage may have been avoidable if the proper fuse had been in my power supply. So now my SOP when I get a new game will be to check every fuse against the manual.

#2 5 years ago

You never know what previous owners have put in for fuses.

#4 5 years ago

Solid advice and only takes a couple of minutes.

I would add... measure the resistance of all coils. Another couple minutes well spent making sure none are shorted.

#5 5 years ago

Yup, rule #1.
    Always check the fuses in any game that comes home!
    Recently found a 10 amp in a 3 amp position.

#6 5 years ago

Yup, I've found slow blow fuses in where fast blow belong.

#7 5 years ago

You never know what people will do. I bought a Space Invaders pin once that had a rolled up piece of tinfoil in place of a fuse.

#8 5 years ago

Ive seen a 25 amp fuse in the 2.5 amp position on williams games many times by mistake as the paper fuse chart in the back is hard to read and appears to say 25 amp.

The good news is the fuse will last forever in that spot without blowing. The boards and coils not so much

#10 5 years ago

Of all the games I've purchased that aren't NIB, only one had all the correct fuses in it. It was The Getaway that was owned by, or worked on at some point by a local guy that knows what he is doing (he's also an EE). So that's probably why it had all the right fuses in it.

I had a Bride of Pinbot that I went through every fuse and they were all correct. I was ready to declare it the first game used game I'd ever purchased that had all the right fuses in it. I then realized I hadn't checked the main line fuse. Checked it...wrong! So the streak continued a while longer.

#11 5 years ago

Well, I’ve never checked them systematically in my games so I guess I know what I’ll being doing the next few weeks.

#12 5 years ago

I always check before power up. I've seen nails, tinfoil, fuses wrapped in tinfoil, fuses hard soldered........all of these we're in EM's.

#13 5 years ago

I picked up a game once that had steel binder clips on the fuse holders.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-you-get-a-new-machine-home-alway-check-the-fuses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.