(Topic ID: 286806)

When will they Remake Lawlor's Twilight Zone and Addams Family?

By PinheadJeff

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Not true. CGC can remake TAF if they want to. Search through Pinside and you will find where the agreements and license restrictions for PPS have been posted.

No, that's NOT true. PPS has the license to remake Bally/Williams machines, but only so far as the trademarks and designs that belong to Williams.

Other IP (like Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Congo, The Shadow) would still need to be licensed from the holders of THOSE properties. That's one of the reasons why the release of MBr was delayed - there were licensing problems with Universal Studios over the rights to their Monsters.

CGC can remake those machines (assuming they WANT to), only if they can get agreements with those other groups - some of which will be quite difficult.

Here is a link to PPS games site where they state that they have the Williams rights. Note that it specifically mentions needing additional rights to 3rd party properties.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/docs/PPS%20Rights%20Letter%20-%20SGI-WEG.pdf

#9 3 years ago

What I don't know is if PPS / CGC could take the design of a machine like The Shadow, and re-skin it by removing all the movie references.

Basically, just using the playfield layout for a "new" machine - either based on some new property or something of their own idea.

I suspect that this would be permitted, but am not certain.

#15 3 years ago

Wow.... you know better than CGC and PPS! You should be able to answer your own question.

If by that you mean I can read what PPS has posted on their own website, then ok - I guess.

Of course, they don't address in that letter if the owners of The Shadow property have any sort of shared ownership of the playfield layout for that machine. Therefore, I can't answer "my own question" with any real confidence. It's likely that PPS has the full rights to the layout, but not definite.

Having worked in the video game industry for many years, and worked on various licensed properties, I do know a little about how these things work.

#18 3 years ago

No I am no expert. I was lucky enough to speak with Doug Duba about the licensing of a few games a few years ago. Some muppets think they know better.

Well, if the real answer is different than what PPS has posted on their own website, you should tell him to update their site.

(and while there is no reason to resort to name-calling, if you look carefully you will see that my avatar is a South Park character...not a Muppet).

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I don't think any of the current Manufacturers could re-introduce either pin, at least not profitably.
A new Twilght Zone would go for an astronomical price even if they could pull it off.

TZ would be expensive to build certainly, but I don't see Addams Family as being much more expensive to build than MM, AFM, or MB. Of course that may depend upon how expensive the licensing issues are.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 159.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.95
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbeardsley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-they-remake-lawlor-s-twilight-zone-and-addams-family?tu=mbeardsley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.