(Topic ID: 286806)

When will they Remake Lawlor's Twilight Zone and Addams Family?

By PinheadJeff

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by acedanger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

It's long overdue. I love the remakes simply because they're NEW. Both machines require constent tinkering. It would be nice to have new machine's right out of the box. If you want to collect the originals...have at it. Chicago Gaming has knocked it out of the park with Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, and Monster Bash.

Have the Limited Edition versions numbered and signed by Lawlor.

#2 3 years ago

Seems unlikely for many reasons. I’ll let the next 10 posters tell you why.

Also, why would pat lawlor get in cahoots with a competing company of the one he works for?

#3 3 years ago

I heard from reliable sources that CGC will never redo a widebody. Addams is a possibility.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I heard from reliable sources that CGC will never redo a widebody. Addams is a possibility.

they wont get the license for TAF. Raul Julia and all.

#5 3 years ago

TZ would be awesome... with the amount of shit in that game it would be 20K though.

My advice would be to get a Wonka... its one of the best Pat Lawlor games and unlike TAF it has good code.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from PinheadJeff:

It's long overdue. I love the remakes simply because they're NEW. Both machines require constent tinkering. It would be nice to have new machine's right out of the box. If you want to collect the originals...have at it. Chicago Gaming has knocked it out of the park with Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, and Monster Bash.

The problem is the licensing, there's no guarantee the license holders will sign off on it. It's stupid, but that's the way it is.

They had to modify the artwork for the Pinball Arcade version of TAF, just to give you a small idea what they would need to deal with.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

they wont get the license for TAF. Raul Julia and all.

Not true. CGC can remake TAF if they want to. Search through Pinside and you will find where the agreenents and licence restrictions for PPS have been posted. CGC and PPS have said very unlikely to do a widebody and already plenty of TAF around.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Not true. CGC can remake TAF if they want to. Search through Pinside and you will find where the agreements and license restrictions for PPS have been posted.

No, that's NOT true. PPS has the license to remake Bally/Williams machines, but only so far as the trademarks and designs that belong to Williams.

Other IP (like Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Congo, The Shadow) would still need to be licensed from the holders of THOSE properties. That's one of the reasons why the release of MBr was delayed - there were licensing problems with Universal Studios over the rights to their Monsters.

CGC can remake those machines (assuming they WANT to), only if they can get agreements with those other groups - some of which will be quite difficult.

Here is a link to PPS games site where they state that they have the Williams rights. Note that it specifically mentions needing additional rights to 3rd party properties.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/docs/PPS%20Rights%20Letter%20-%20SGI-WEG.pdf

#9 3 years ago

What I don't know is if PPS / CGC could take the design of a machine like The Shadow, and re-skin it by removing all the movie references.

Basically, just using the playfield layout for a "new" machine - either based on some new property or something of their own idea.

I suspect that this would be permitted, but am not certain.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

No, that's NOT true. PPS has the license to remake Bally/Williams machines, but only so far as the trademarks and designs that belong to Williams.
Other IP (like Twilight Zone, Addams Family, Congo, The Shadow) would still need to be licensed from the holders of THOSE properties. That's one of the reasons why the release of MBr was delayed - there were licensing problems with Universal Studios over the rights to their Monsters.
CGC can remake those machines (assuming they WANT to), only if they can get agreements with those other groups - some of which will be quite difficult.
Here is a link to PPS games site where they state that they have the Williams rights. Note that it specifically mentions needing additional rights to 3rd party properties.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/docs/PPS%20Rights%20Letter%20-%20SGI-WEG.pdf

Quoted from mbeardsley:

What I don't know is if PPS / CGC could take the design of a machine like The Shadow, and re-skin it by removing all the movie references.
Basically, just using the playfield layout for a "new" machine - either based on some new property or something of their own idea.
I suspect that this would be permitted, but am not certain.

Wow.... you know better than CGC and PPS! You should be able to answer your own question.

#11 3 years ago

Someday they all will be remade, be nice to see the old games brought back with new stuff or upgraded
features

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Then it really isn't a remake. That really doesn't flow with their business model. With all the secrecy, who knows what they will do or not do and most importantly how long it will take....

#13 3 years ago

Wow.... you know better than CGC and PPS! You should be able to answer your own question.

And yet your as big of an expert... Pot calling the Kettle Black?

#14 3 years ago

Why would they, plenty of second hand ones on the market all the time. Remaking something that has more demand makes more sense.

#15 3 years ago

If by that you mean I can read what PPS has posted on their own website, then ok - I guess.

Of course, they don't address in that letter if the owners of The Shadow property have any sort of shared ownership of the playfield layout for that machine. Therefore, I can't answer "my own question" with any real confidence. It's likely that PPS has the full rights to the layout, but not definite.

Having worked in the video game industry for many years, and worked on various licensed properties, I do know a little about how these things work.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

And yet your as big of an expert... Pot calling the Kettle Black?

No I am no expert. I was lucky enough to speak with Doug Duba about the licensing of a few games a few years ago. Some muppets think they know better.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

If by that you mean I can read what PPS has posted on their own website, then ok - I guess.
Of course, they don't address in that letter if the owners of The Shadow property have any sort of shared ownership of the playfield layout for that machine. Therefore, I can't answer "my own question" with any real confidence. It's likely that PPS has the full rights to the layout, but not definite.
Having worked in the video game industry for many years, and worked on various licensed properties, I do know a little about how these things work.

Just like I said . You know better than CGC and PPS. Good for you!

#18 3 years ago

No I am no expert. I was lucky enough to speak with Doug Duba about the licensing of a few games a few years ago. Some muppets think they know better.

Well, if the real answer is different than what PPS has posted on their own website, you should tell him to update their site.

(and while there is no reason to resort to name-calling, if you look carefully you will see that my avatar is a South Park character...not a Muppet).

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:Well, if the real answer is different than what PPS has posted on their own website, you should tell him to update their site.
(and while there is no reason to resort to name-calling, if you look carefully you will see that my avatar is a South Park character...not a Muppet).

Sorry if I offended you, I was not responding to you. It is not for me to tell people how to run their businesses.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Someday they all will be remade,

By who ? When ?

Once CGC moves onto independent titles, I doubt they'll go back to remakes.

LTG : )

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Why would they, plenty of second hand ones on the market all the time. Remaking something that has more demand makes more sense.

I think you’d be surprised how many people want to buy NIB. There’s people who just wont touch an old game.

TZ or Addams would sell a ton, easily. But so would plenty of other titles that would be easier/cheaper to remake, so why bother? At the rate they do games - once every two or three years - it will be a long time before they ever get to these titles.

#22 3 years ago

I don't think any of the current Manufacturers could re-introduce either pin, at least not profitably.
A new Twilght Zone would go for an astronomical price even if they could pull it off.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I don't think any of the current Manufacturers could re-introduce either pin, at least not profitably.
A new Twilght Zone would go for an astronomical price even if they could pull it off.

TZ would be expensive to build certainly, but I don't see Addams Family as being much more expensive to build than MM, AFM, or MB. Of course that may depend upon how expensive the licensing issues are.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from PinheadJeff:

New machines need tinkering, too. Often more than a nicely shopped or restored classic. Also, all games remade so far were low run/high demand. There are more Addams & TZs out there than any other titles. You don’t have to be a NIBNEWB...buy a bonafide classic & enjoy.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

By who ? When ?
Once CGC moves onto independent titles, I doubt they'll go back to remakes.
LTG : )

Inquiring minds want to know but someday maybe 20 years out or more, just like classic cars remade just taking a random shot it might happen

3 months later
#26 2 years ago

jokerpoker

Well idk about you but in ca people always sell them for 10 to 12 grand and never anything less so a 6 grand remake would be great for me.

1 year later
#27 12 months ago

I agree, there may be 20,000 out there, but the prices are crazy high now. So, a remake in the 7-10K range would have a lot more demand than you think. I would buy the LE day 1.

#28 12 months ago

You think it would be in the 7-10k range?

#29 12 months ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

TZ would be awesome... with the amount of shit in that game it would be 20K though.
My advice would be to get a Wonka... its one of the best Pat Lawlor games and unlike TAF it has good code.

Wonka is great fun except that the sound design is earsplitting. Not sure what happened there but it grates on me like none other.

#30 12 months ago

CGC eventually will remake Addams; I don't believe it will be an issue. Def, not anytime soon...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 37.50
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus
Toppers
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-they-remake-lawlor-s-twilight-zone-and-addams-family?hl=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.