Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 472 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by erak
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Busted_(resized).jpg
    Lawn-Dart_(resized).JPG
    download_(resized).jpg
    Darts_(resized).jpg
    italian_bottom_(resized).jpg
    electronic_darts_event4_(resized).jpg
    gtb3111baffleball2_(resized).jpg
    0ceafa3cecb266e0a816f6af6fce1744dd8fb557_(resized).jpg
    medical--chocolate-chip-cookies_(resized).jpg
    baconsalad_(resized).jpeg
    images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_06_fc5a3d9391c5faf88286d91b3ea0c9a7_(resized).jpg
    images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_12_06_fc5a3d9391c5faf88286d91b3ea0c9a7_(resized).jpg
    Unknown-7_(resized).jpeg
    Shaft_(2000_movie_poster)_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    investment_advice_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider syco54645.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 8 years ago

It isn't really just a stern bubble but the entirety of pinball. Eventually the people with big money will move on and games will stop selling. The pinball bubble needs to burst before the Stern one does. But can Stern survive? If trends/prices go back to what they were in the early 2000s what will that mean for Stern? Can they produce a game and sell for $4000 and turn a profit? Maybe but things will need cut (code) more than likely.
    At that point will people be willing to sell the CV that they bought for $6700 for $4000? Maybe as long as all games have value relative to each other but what of the people looking to get out? They told their wife "this $6700 CV will never go down in value" and now it is time to sell. Will they? Or will they just hoard it out of spite for their piss poor decision?
    Would anyone see a reason to start a new company to make pinball machines? JJP prices would have been insane in 2002, even with all of the tech/innovation. If prices adjust back down to then would JJP just throw in the towel? Would Heighway and Dutch Pinball continue? There may be little incentive for them at these price points.
    If/when this "bubble" bursts it could be very bad for the hobby.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

People have been scaremongering the "pinball bubble burst" for 15 years now. Hasn't happened. While there's always a possibility for a business to fail - the hobby & collectors will always be around to enjoy the finite games of yesteryear.
    Stern is in it to win it. If sales dropped I could see them downsizing again. With what they've built - they could continue with less staff of things got rough.

Yes but at some point the money will dry up. Will my kids (7yr and 5 month olds) care about this crap? Maybe because they grew up with it. Will their friends, probably not. I only care about it because they were around when I was a kid. More arcade machines than pinball but pin was always more fun to me. Remember that people have finite money to enjoy the finite games of yesteryear. The younger someone is the less money they more than likely have.

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Why are you worrying about what your kids will think of pinball when they're your age? I don't understand. Did you invest in some kind of Stern bond that takes 30 years to mature?

I do not, just pointing out that it will all end eventually . With Stern's newest pricing I would not buy a bond in the company.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Makes no sense. You continue to work and make money, so the money is not finite and some on higher incomes can justify regular purchases of new pinball machines. The supply of older pinball machines on the other hand is more finite and arguably declining.

True my money could be construed as not finite (certainly not infinite). But the money I am willing to spend is finite (or what the wife lets me have). That is more what I was getting at.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

As for the future of pinball 20 to 30 years from now when our kids can afford to buy pins on their own...who cares? Many here will be dead and gone by then.

That is what I am waiting for . Ready to pounce like a chupathingy... errr puma.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider syco54645.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-the-stern-bubble-burst?tu=syco54645 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.