(Topic ID: 33625)

When will the insane pricing end?

By Pimp77

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

600full-sam-elliott.jpg
    graph2.gif
    graph1.gif
    theend.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twinturb089.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 11 years ago

I don't understand all this hoopla about prices going up. Nib prices???? People who are collecting, are collecting for various reasons. Some like to play pinball, others as a investment, some enjoy spending time rebuilding them, etc, etc. I myself enjoy all of the mentioned. I am glad prices are going thru the roof. I enjoy finding and making deals. If I can accumulate 100 grand in games in a year or so. That's great. When I am done with this hobby I will sell them all and buy a Ferrari or a house in fla, or whatever. Like collecting anything, you hope to some day cash out and break even or maybe make a few bucks. The guys who have been collecting for 20 years or so are prolly loving that prices have shot thru the roof. They bought mm,afm,cc,cv,etc back when they where cheaper. If they choose to sell them now. They could have a nice nest egg, or hold on and see what they top off at. I personally could care less about nib stern,jjp.or any new pin made now. They do nothing for me, they will be worth less in value in the next few years as they are plentiful. I collect 80s bmx bikes, and skateboards from the 80s. Do you know what those are worth??????? Santa Cruz decks alone at 650.00 to 3,000. A hutch judge, or trick star with all hutch parts 6,000'to well over 10,000. The baby boomers from the 70 and 80s now have some decent incomes and want to relive their youth. Well !!!! The fountain of youth cost money. Is the reason a 1969 Shelby gt500 is over 125 k because a 2013 is 75k. Not at all. Most of us like to remember our youth, supply and demand are the reason of prices. Some can afford it, some cant. Ego and a fat wallet prevail. If you want to collect something that won't skyrocket. Collect rocks

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

The money is passing from the older generation to our generation. As it happens, there's been a reinvigorated interest in pinball machines, as we were the last generation to grow up with it. I can see it being strong for a good 20-30 years until we start to pass our money down to the first generation that didn't really have pinball as youth. Pinball and arcade machines are one of the last purely physical objects that youth used as entertainment outside the home.
    I don't even know what my kid will see as his nostalgic thing to try to revive when he's older. Everything is digital now.

I think you are correct in saying that the kids today will have no intrest in pinball at our age. Just as us 35-45 have no intrest in antiques or 55 Chevys. The kids of today will have no intrest in 69 mustangs or camaros. Baby boomers spend money on what they had as youths plain and simple. There is a reason they remade mustangs, camaros and challengers to look old school. They where most of our first cars. 16/18 year old kids want scions,acura, Audi, BMW etc

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

I've been in this for 24 years now and in spite of the fact that yes a lot of my games are worth way more today than I ever thought they would be, I hate what I see as ridiculous prices being paid
    A lot of people are going to get burned when this bubble pops, and it will, just don't know when! The faster the rise, the bigger the fall, and this one has been pretty quick!!

so has apple stocks, i dont see any end in sight, do you?just like anything in life worth a substantial amount, sometime you have to know when to cash out, or be all in...the guys that bought 10 years ago have nothing to worry about. they will see first hand when the market starts to drop so,if they have to, sell accordingly.you could lose money in the stock market, or other investments. why not have fun with your money instead of your broker?

#101 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Bad example, isn't apple down 25% since October?
    I do see an end in sight. Very few companies innovate for decades. They innovate, they take over the market, and the executives are fat and lazy and rest on their laurels. Apple is moving into lower margin equipment (Televisions).
    Pin prices are up because there are a lot of new entrants into the hobby. Most of the high end sales are wealthy collectors trading heavily modded machines with each other. There's only so much of that money floating around. Once those collectors get the pins they want, prices will settle.

i meant it as if you bought years ago, not oct.regardless.... i am just a dumb mechanic with a few pins, i ll have my 100 g worth by mid next year, maybe sooner. i ll take my chances. easy come, easy go

#125 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoChiefs70:

I see the asking prices, would be interesting to see what they actually sell for. In the past month I have seen the following on local Craigslist but was too late to buy: MM for $8500, Twilight Zone for $1800, Whitewater for $2000, STTNG for $2200. They all sounded legit and said they already sold. Patience and being ready with quick cash.

wanna buy the golden gate bridge? 1500.00 lol j/k

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twinturb089.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-the-insane-pricing-end?tu=twinturb089 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.