(Topic ID: 33625)

When will the insane pricing end?

By Pimp77

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

600full-sam-elliott.jpg
    graph2.gif
    graph1.gif
    theend.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_director.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 11 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Once those collectors get the pins they want, prices will settle.

I think this is a very valid point and will be a large contributing factor to prices settling, if they are ever going to. Seems like most people in the hobby buy any and every pin they can get their hands on at first, but soon realize they have limited space, so each pin has to be a valuable commodity. Once said space is filled with the pins they know they want and will love for a long time, that circulation cuts down drastically.

Another factor that I think might play a role is that, right now, a lot of people in their 30s are getting into the hobby, largely I would think due to this: people in their 30s now were the perfect age for the arcade/pinball golden age, and these people are finally at a point in their careers where life is stable enough to have a hobby you can sink thousands of dollars into. It will be interesting to see what happens when these collectors start ironing out their collections as well, and see what the generation behind them does.

I'm 29 and kind of rode the last little wave of the golden age of arcade/pinball, was younger than a teenager, but old enough to still really get into it through the late 1980s to late 1990s. However, the people 10 years younger than me and below, it will be really interesting to see if they find their way to the hobby in droves like my generation and the generation ahead of me have. If they don't, and by that time most collectors are pretty settled in their collection, then I could easily see prices leveling out significantly.

#127 11 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Let's be honest - we are really talking about a certain segment of games, mostly B/W from the 90's.

Very true. Even though I grew up more with DMDs and probably prefer when it comes right down to it, I'm starting to really get into System 11s myself recently. Some of them are a bit gouged price-wise, but most are relatively reasonable ($1500 or below depending on title). To me, I'd rather pay a little less and get a machine that p/f wise is everything a DMD is, just without the animated display screen that seems to push the price up another $700-$1500.

#142 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

I would expect that if the Wizard of Oz and Hobbit take off, people will see what can be had for $8000. At that point, will there still be a market for older titles at 15-20k? Technology may solve this pricing issue once and for all. Anyone paying much for an EM machine?

One could only hope! I, personally, like having machines from the era that I was a kid playing them and doubt I will ever buy a NIB on newer machine unless it was a really, really good deal. That would be good news for me if technology helped off set the pricing; however, I'm sure there are a lot of people that think the same way as me. I've got a guy coming to buy my Count-Down today who had a chance to buy some DMDs at a good price, but wanted this one because it was of the era he grew up with.

#145 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

What I'd really like to see is a move away from "torso bust" type toys

Totally agree here -- most of these torso busts look horrid too. The cartoonish quality for Family Guy or a game like that works, but on X-Men or Avengers, looks plain ridiculous and cheap.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_director.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-the-insane-pricing-end?tu=the_director and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.