(Topic ID: 33625)

When will the insane pricing end?

By Pimp77

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

600full-sam-elliott.jpg
    graph2.gif
    graph1.gif
    theend.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Your personal experience and people joining here are not and acurate measure. Nor is the "people just didnt buy pins for their home years ago." that is a false statment also. My family bought our Sinbad probably around 1981, and my family was not a well to do family, money was tight. Its possible collectors has grown, but you cant say for sure without hard evidence, real numbers, not "well 20 people joined pinside in the last four months." dont forget there are people leaving the hobby also for one reason or another, getting old, lost interest, need the money, etc..

Well....I would say the cost for an average machine, which continues to increase, is evidence of more people entering the hobby. Take a look at comics or baseball cards, where the collector market is decreasing and so is the value of these items.

#118 11 years ago

Nobody is forcing us to grow our collections. Most classic car collectors have a handfull of cars. Most of us have over 10, if not over 20 pins. Why? Because we are greedy bastards.

One good thing that comes with average price increases - more after market parts made.

#126 11 years ago

Let's be honest - we are really talking about a certain segment of games, mostly B/W from the 90's. Older Williams, Bally, Gottlieb, etc games are still at reasonable prices. I see a many of these games for sake between 400-600.

#159 11 years ago
    Quoted from HighSpeed1:

I think it's only just begun!!!!
    Ebay link
    Ebay link
    I know that Ebay is not the Holy Grail for value, and the old repeated adage still applies, "it's only worth what someone will pay". But every time I need something, or want something be it collectable or otherwise, it always shows up on Ebay. I have been watching High Speed 1 games listed for upwards of 2-3 thousand, Taxi games even higher. And TAF, well even higher. When I bought my very decent High Speed 3 years ago, I paid 1,200.00 cash, and I thought that was high. A few weeks ago I bought a NOS system 11b MPU that I needed, a NOS plastic set, well I'd be a fool not pass it up, so I payed the price. I'm sure it's those actions on my part and others, that only help to keep the perceived value/inflation going.

Thing about ebay is that there is a significant cost in doing business. You would need to adjust that for sales off of Ebay. Plus it is the #1 place to get maximum exposure.

#160 11 years ago
    Quoted from WannaTheater:

One thing I may have missed in this thread is the impact of the "flipper". This would be the person that trolls for every pin in the area, puts $30 of rubber on it and a little novus, then lists it for $1500 more than what they paid for it. They dont give a shit about the hobby, just the profit. These are the same "get-rich-quick" types of folks that helped artificially inflate the housing market. When the bubble burst, they were the ones stuck getting forclosed on their 500k house that was worth 175k two years prior, crying for help. I wonder how much the flipper has contributed to this pin price madness.
    I am not one to judge, but perhaps a reality check is in order. Not looking to draw flames, but at the end of the day us folks are paying outrageous amounts of money for....lets face it.....toys. Until we buyers take a step back and do this, I think the upward trend will continue.

Carefull - plenty of those folks on pinside.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider methos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-will-the-insane-pricing-end?tu=methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.